Fedora 35 graphical issues

I just got my framework yesterday and installed fedora 35 from the live image, logged in and all was good. I decided to run sudo dnf update and it seems to have broken the graphics in some interesting ways. When I move my mouse to the left of the screen it glitches out, I’ve gotten rainbow snow, hangs, and black screens since the update. To confirm it wasn’t a HW issue I reinstalled fedora 35 and all was good, until I update.

Some info that might help:

Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel TigerLake-LP GT2 [Iris Xe Graphics] driver: i915 v: kernel
  Display: server: X.Org 1.21.1.4 driver: loaded: i915
    note: n/a (using device driver) resolution: 2256x1504~60Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Xe Graphics (TGL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 21.2.3
Linux fedora 5.16.5-200.fc35.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Feb 1 21:37:11 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I was having issues even getting this post to send with the code blocks above because cloudflare was blocking the request so I removed the actual command to see if it helps.

EDIT: interestingly the issues go away if I set the display resolution to 2048x1152 but come back when I adjust back to the native panel resolution.

EDIT 2: also doesn’t seem to be an issue on the 5.14 kernel when I boot into that from grub

Yeah, I haven’t personally had too many problems with 5.16, but I have seen plenty of other reports showing it to be a problem child. I would stick with an older kernel version until they iron out all of 5.16’s kinks. The latest 5.15 for Fedora still worked out well for me.

I’m seeing the same issue on my framework as well, linking this post to the main Fedora 35 pinned post: Fedora Linux 35 (Fedora 35) on the Framework Laptop

FWIW, I used to have this issue on Debian sid (one of the 5.17 RC kernels), but now I’m on 5.17.1 and it seems to be fixed? But it also could have more to do with e.g. mesa and there might have been an update to that as well. Not really sure, just glad the glitches have stopped for me.