Fedora Linux 35 on the Framework Laptop

Some Framework+Fedora users have spent some time testing Fedora Linux 35 Beta and nearly everything seems to work flawlessly from a base install, with only minor modifications required for some issues. We will continue to update this post as the beta testing period continues & any outstanding issues are potentially fixed. If anyone else has any Framework-specific beta experiences or issues, please share them here. FYI, the Fedora Linux 35 final release is currently set for Oct. 19, 2021.

Specific Fedora & Linux Issues Fixed in this Release

:white_check_mark: Wifi works
:white_check_mark: Bluetooth works
:white_check_mark: Fingerprint Scanner works (not including hardware issue of erasing old fingerprint scans)
:white_check_mark: PSR / Panel Self Refresh disablement is no longer necessary

Sort-Of Fixed - Requires Minor User Intervention

:ballot_box_with_check: Mic in via Headphone Jack - create the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf containing the text options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi, then reboot.

Potentially Still Unresolved / Needs Further Testing

:question: Sleep / Suspend - a brief test of s2idle vs. deep revealed no major difference between the two as far as battery drain (still could be better), and deep still takes ~15s to wake, so this still seems to be an issue specific to the Framework hardware.
:grey_question: Fractional Scaling - It is still not available as a default option in Gnome 41. The assumption is that it’s still an “experimental” feature for Gnome and this issue is not specific to Fedora or Framework.
:grey_question: GRUB “Scan Line” Glitch - this seems to be a GRUB issue and possibly not Fedora or Framework specific - see this post and the replies to it for additional details.

5 Likes

That includes Wifi, bluetooth, <0.5% battery drain/h when on sleep / suspend, mic in via headphone jack, fractional scaling, fingerprint enrollment (this might be a hardware issue though)…etc?

1 Like

Here’s a more specific list:

:white_check_mark: Wifi
:white_check_mark: Bluetooth
:white_check_mark: Fingerprint Scanner (not including hardware issue of erasing old fingerprint scans)

:question: Sleep / Suspend - I did a brief test of s2idle vs. deep and saw no difference, although deep still takes ~15s to wake. Maybe someone that knows more about this issue than I do should test further?
:question: Fractional Scaling - I don’t use it, but it was not available as a default option in Gnome 41. I guess it’s still “experimental”?

:x: Mic in via Headphone Jack - I honestly didn’t know this was an issue, but I just tested it and sure enough it does NOT work.

I’ve revised my original post to read nearly everything.

@gjason the mic input problem may be fixable:

Which Linux kernel is your F35 installation? I had trouble with sleep on Ubuntu when I updated the kernel to v5.14.

1 Like

@Atul_Ingle I’m on 5.14.1-300, and thanks to your tip above, my mic mini-jack input now works. On my install that file wasn’t even there, so I just created

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

containing the text

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi

and rebooted.

Related, but does anyone else have grub take approximately 10 seconds after displaying to become interactive? There’s a small “scan line” as well that progresses from left to right across each row before then. Not sure if it’s related to LUKS or the particular grub version

1 Like

Now that you mention it @Michael_Lingelbach, I’m experiencing the same issue here, and with no LUKS encryption. I added it to the list of issues on the original post.

1 Like

Thank you for the update! I’m really hoping that F35 will be the one that everything works without any edits OOTB. Hope they are aware of any other issue with the Framework laptop and bake the updates / edits into the F35 release.

Come to think of this, maybe the Framework laptop is the most ‘open’ laptop hardware [x86] out there? The Framework laptop should be one of ‘the’ laptops that everything should work right out of the box for all major Linux distro.

1 Like

@Michael_Lingelbach

I actually had this same issue on Fedora 34 and was able to solve it by doing this:

Maybe it’s the same issue with 35?

2 Likes

Yes, I had this in F34. Something with GRUB’s console mode, I guess.
Resolved it by editing /etc/default/grub and changing

GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"

to

GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="gfxterm"

and then updated the GRUB config on /boot by running sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg .

2 Likes

This was it! However, now I’m missing the icons for up/down arrow in grub (not that big of deal compared to the long load time before).

1 Like

That GRUB glitch is strange - I was able to fix it on my machine using the above info from @Michael_Lingelbach - all I did was edit

/etc/default/grub as root,

change GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 to GRUB_TIMEOUT=4 ,

then run sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

and reboot. None of the stuff from @AlliedEnvy was required in my case. I’m going to edit the wiki to flag this issue as some random GRUB wackiness potentially unrelated to F35.

2 Likes