Fedora 37 on the Framework Laptop

Just got my first hard freeze on Fedora 37 on kernel 6.0.9. I am not using enable_psr=0 . This is the first freeze I have had in over a week. It occured as it usually seems to for me while opening settings and using a bluetooth mouse.

Update: I was thinking about this and realized it always happens when the bluetooth mouse is coming out of a suspended state. Testing some additional changes in TLP to see if removing bluetooth devices from autosuspend will help. The reason I am gtrying this is because in all of my searching I am not seeing this issue on desktop processors using the iGPU. Desktops usually don’t use powersaving features, all the problems seem to be occurring on mobile chips and even that without real consistency. So perhaps this freezing is directly related to how an individual system has powersaving features implemented. Even PSR is a power saving feature. Anyway, I guess I will know the next time it hard freezes, if I am barking up the wrong tree. Also none of these freezes have happened on battery power where I don’t use bluetooth, and always have it disabled.

I just did a fresh install of Fedora 37 and noticed that there are duplicate entries when I look at the boot menu, is this normal?

Here is what I get from efibootmgr:

Boot0000* Fedora	HD(1,GPT,869c52f0-6e68-47f8-96f4-a21272df116c,0x800,0x12c000)/File(\EFI\fedora\shim.efi) File(.䍒)
Boot0001* EFI USB Device (USB DISK 3.2)	UsbWwid(13fe,6500,0,0700185D2CA32E0)/HD(2,GPT,18f1bb95-9d45-4961-bac6-fd546147cf9c,0xfa800,0x32000)RC
Boot0003* Fedora	HD(1,GPT,869c52f0-6e68-47f8-96f4-a21272df116c,0x800,0x12c000)/File(\EFI\fedora\shimx64.efi)

I have secure boot enabled, maybe related to that?

This is normal. Also look at the difference at the end of the line. They are not really duplicate entries.

It’s interesting because I previously had F36 installed and only had the single entry.

I can select either option using the F12 one time boot menu and they both boot successfully, so I tried deleting the first entry using efibootmgr -b 0000 -B and it was recreated at the following boot! So it looks like the shim.efi entry is auto created by the Framework firmware somehow, perhaps this is what the File(.䍒) signifies in my efibootmgr output?

Interestingly, I also noticed that the Fedora USB installer (created using Fedora Media Writer) now shows up as “linpus lite” on the Framework boot menu, so maybe some strange behaviour to do with a firmware upgrade? (last install of F36 was on v3.07, now on v3.10)

I created a small step-by-step guide how to enable hibernation with enabled secure boot and full disk encryption (luks) decrypting over TPM. Check here: Fedora 36 & 37: Hibernation with enabled secure boot and full disk encryption (fde) decrypting over tpm2

3 Likes