Fedora 37 on the Framework Laptop

Fedora Linux 37 is available now. The announcement is here. I created this thread to be used for the Fedora 37 main thread.

Installation Guide: Fedora 37 Installation on the Framework Laptop - Framework Guides

Guys, feel free to edit, as this comment is a wiki.

@Matt_Hartley Thank you for preparing the installation documents for Fedora 37. I hope you don’t mind that I created this thread. As the official version was released, I thought that people wanted this thread.

See also

5 Likes

I have been on Fedora 37 on a 12th gen Framework for one week now. Had two hard freezes, have not had one since the 6.0.7 kernel update. Will see if there are any regressions with the 6.08 update. As usual Fedora is providing a smooth experience. Still have some Thunderbolt issues, but those are par for the course…missing displays following extended screen locks. I had similar issues with my Thinkpad T480s. I shoudl really update the firmware on the dock, but alas no Windows computers and the firmware is not in the LVFS. So tossing it up to the dock. One interesting new issue with the dock though is that it stops charging the laptop after a short period of time while remaining connected. No luck torubleshoting this so far.

3 Likes

In the process of testing this now, same release, 12th gen and kernel.

I’m in the process of updating the Fedora docs now. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was waiting for the official fedora 37 release to install it. I have just done it on my 11th gen Framework and no issues to report yet. It is running kernel 6.0.8. Furthermore, I have not made any particular fixes, such as deep sleep and hibernation. I will wait and see if it is necessary.

1 Like

edit: did a reinstall of Fedora 37 and it works fine.

Any word on fixing the brightness keys on Fedora 37? The below code works on my 12th gen framework for Fedora 36, but I have not yet figured out how to use the brightness keys on Fedora 37.

# Make sure to update your packages first
sudo dnf upgrade

# To enable brightness up/down keys
sudo grubby --update-kernel=ALL --args="module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub"
1 Like

That should still be working for you. It is for me.

weird. yeah I’ve triple checked spelling, no idea why it wouldn’t work the same. hopefully someone knows.

1 Like

Is it showing up in your /etc/default/grub ? It should be on the line starting with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX= .

for me it says:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX =“nomodeset rhgb quiet module_blacklist=hid_sensor_hub”

@junaruga It’s live; Fedora 37 Installation on the Framework Laptop - Framework Guides

Thanks!

4 Likes

Thanks! I updated the first comment with the guide like the Fedora 36 thread. Just in case as the first comment is a wiki, you can edit it too.

2 Likes

Is anyone else unable to launch the newest version of VS Code/Codium Insiders on Fedora 37? Upgraded to a new nightly build of Codium and then upgraded from 36 to 37, not quite sure which one is the culprit. Everything ran great previously. From Codium logs:

libva error: vaGetDriverNameByIndex() failed with unknown libva error, driver_name = (null)

Can we get this post pinned, as Fedora 37 is now the latest stable version of Fedora?

I have just gotten my framework laptop with a fresh install of fedora 37 workstation. I have followed the guide and thought I would gather some thoughts and tips for others to save a lot of googling.

General pains.

The constantly freezing and stuttering after waking from suspend has been discussed on these forums. I can confirm I have managed to fix it for me at least with the upgrade to 6.0.9 Kernel and disbaling i915 pcr, maybe with the new kernel the pcr no longer needs to be disabled. Ill test later.

Blurry text with fractional scaling

Like others, I have found 125% to be the ideal size however this makes many legacy apps have blurry text. This mainly affects electron apps I have found, and some legacy gtk apps like VLC. The solution is to run apps in wayland, This works for some electron apps or is not possible in some native apps.
Each app will have its own quirks, to name a few
Chrome wayland, no text scaling on menu items, requires legacy gtk for theme.
1password wayland, no window decorations, legacy theme, still sometimes blurs
Slack, wont start approximately half the time

A much better solution is to not force wayland but instead use the tweak tool to set font to 1.25 and leave the display scaling at 100%. This works for most situations except chrome.
If you however run chrome in X11 (Default) then the --force-device-scale-factor=1.25 launch param works and you get a good looking chrome.

Its worth noting that many apps “just work” particularly all the bundled software like Firefox

No hibernation?
I just switched over to Fedora recently and noticed there is no hibernation. This is kind of a big deal considering the Framework’s problems with suspending (at least on my Batch 3, i5 11 gen). Any suggestions for saving battery when I close the lid?

1 Like

I recommend looking at this

@henrytr @Joshua_Ham

This as well, which I’ve been using from 35-36: Fedora 36 on the Framework Laptop - #38 by Michael_Wu

I haven’t upgraded to Fedora 37 yet so it’s untested there, though I plan to in a week or two.

Edit: upgraded to 37 and my hibernation setup still seems to work. I tried un-blacklisting intel_ish_ipc but that still seems to be an issue, so I added it back.

1 Like

If this is of any value to anyone:

Here’s what I ended up with. 11 hours suspend on each, no external monitors attached, no applications running at suspend.

Fedora 37 is 81%, TLP, (Gnome power profile disabled), 2 USB C, 1 hdmi, 1 DP. 12th Gen. s2idle deep.

Pop OS 24.04 at 61% system76-power 1 USB C, 1 hdmi, s2idle deep.

Ubuntu 22.04 at 89% TLP (Gnome power profile disabled), 1 USB C, 1 hdmi, s2idle deep.

4 Likes

Thanks for your work Matt.

Looks like kernel 6.0.9 has come down into the Fedora 37 normal updates channel, I just got it. Fingers crossed this version is a stability upgrade.