Fedora40: WLAN instable, constantly asks for password, but does not connect

It’s a newly setup fw16 with fedora 40. According to the fw installation guide I updated bios after installation.

Sometimes the WLAN is working for hours but randomly it does not connect anymore to the router, constantly asks for the password but nevertheless does not connect. (The mac book I’m using in parallel to write here is connected to the same box and is stable.)

Checking the KB and communities I disabled power_save. But the issues is back again.

EDIT
In the network settings for wifi-security there is no line ‘auth-alg=open’ which is the only difference I see compared to the fw wifi troubleshooting guide. Is this maybe a hint?

System Details
fw16 AMD Ryzen 7040 Series
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7840 HS w/ Radeon 780 Graphics
Firmware 03.03
Linus 40 (Workstation Edition)
Gnome 46
Wayland
Kernel Linux 6.8.10-300.fc40.x86_64

Damn… I’ve had this problem, under Ubuntu, but it was several years ago and I can’t recall how I fixed it. It isn’t in my notes either. :frowning_face: Sorry, all I can say is that it is correctable.

I vaguely recall that it had something to do with the GNOME networking settings, but don’t quote me on that.

Just in case, you might try this general fix. It corrects a lot of oddities on Framework systems.

Thanks! no worries I’ll wait until sb recalls. At the moment it is connected :partying_face: :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Additional info from the config file (differences to the troubleshooting guide highlighted in bold):

$ sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/UPC2A42DC8.nmconnection
[connection]
id=UPC2A42DC8
uuid=44fe451d-3322-4ec8-b204-4aeef3fc743a
type=wifi
interface-name=wlp1s0
timestamp=1716988342

[wifi]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=UPC2A42DC8

[wifi-security]
missing line for auth-alg
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=***********

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=default
method=auto

[proxy]

RESOLVED
I split the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz band. I have no clue why this helped. But the connection now is stable, fix and connects automatically also after being in stand-by mode.