Forum software is awful

I really wish I could block users.

A problem that only you are having, which makes it very unlikely to be the website. I know that is not helpful, but I hope this helps efforts nonetheless.

Just chiming in to say that discourse, the forum software this forum is using, is one of the better ones actually.

It’s not only easy for the admins but easy for the users as well while still being useable on each end device without any modifications of the operators.

@Xenophon if you’re having trouble maybe you could tell us more about your setup so we can replicate it and/or even submit an issue ticket on the github repository.

2 Likes

I’ve just discovered another annoyance.

I posted a solution to a graphics problem, and there are three threads where people are having this problem, so I thought to reply with the same one-paragraph solution in each of them.

“You cannot post, your post is too like one you’ve just made.”

I had to reword the post three times to get it posted.

Annoying. I’m not a spammer, if I’m posting the same content a few times it’s because I know what I’m doing.

Well how should the system know it?

The real problem is people opening the same topics over and over again.

2 Likes

I think that Discourse’s topic template feature helps to improve the duplicated topics issue. And I suggested using the feature at Please Tag Your Posts And This Read Before Posting a Support Question - #4 by junaruga

The dark mode on PC has got better, but on smartphone the topic titles on the front page are still illegible.

It’s black text over dark gray background.

Really ?? This is using Win 11 > Normal Res > Dark Mode

I have this (Linux, Chrome):

As I said though, on my smartphone it’s like in your screenshot, illegible black on dark.

1 Like

I also have this issue, and it occurs on several other websites (both large and small). I don’t know whether the issue is with the websites that have it, or if is due to the way Googles garbage reCapatcha works.

Maybe your OS, Browser settings . . . . I have no such problems, ever, with all versions of Windows or Ubuntu, and Firefox

You can ignore users. But I think you need to be a certain trust level to do it.

I haven’t been here long but haven’t found anyone I’d want to ignore.

Well the late response above may not be relevant to you after six months, but for others ~ yes some responses can be aggressively or passively controlling and not nice to know about.

Of course some are one offs but some users get the bit between their teeth and won’t let go ~ I’ve been told off a couple of times for what has been seen as ‘sarcasm’ but then I’m Old English in a younger, more sensitive environment maybe.

:hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

:om:

I just wanted to interject for a moment. What you are referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux… wait no not that.

You, the community, are our greatest asset in keeping this community awesome. Set a good example for new members and please flag anything that is unwelcoming, combative, or otherwise doesn’t meet the expectations laid out in the community guidelines.

We try very hard to keep things friendly and welcoming, but ultimately we don’t see everything. Your flags send us notifications with the link to the post and whatever message you add so we can stay on top of things.

Thanks for your help!

7 Likes

Windows and Linux, Chrome and Firefox. My dad has had the issue, and so have I.

1 Like

I like the forum software. But please make the CAPTCHAs go away. They don’t work well. They’ve never worked well. And they’re a complete pain.

Please just make the CAPTCHAs go away.

Why is it that every time you click the “Community” button at the top of the page it opens the community up in Another tab?
If there were navigation buttons available throughout the community forum it would be a lot less annoying

The only way to get back is to use your browser back button or press the community link again and start all over

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum

As the above is true, well it is for me, then I just close the tab and it automatically switch to the previous one. Simples! Well with Win 11 and Firefox 114.02

What I typically do if middle click threads to open them in new tabs