Fourth update on Framework Laptop 16 shipment timing

Oh CES is now? That’s interesting. Would make sense for then to lift any embargo, and possibly show off some of the first mass production units, there later this week.

1 Like

But Framework is not at the CES as an exhibitor.
I hope the next update arrives on thursday like the last ones.

2 Likes

That’ll certainly indicate another delay based on 4th update phrasing. I’ll be happy with a review dropping :slight_smile:

2 Likes

See techpowerup :nerd_face:

4 Likes

as in TechPowerUp ?

3 Likes
6 Likes

Interesting, does anyone know if FW said anything about the one at their booth being a final or DVT unit?

I hope not, the material difference between the below spacers and the trackpad module is still obvious… I still think they should have built a full-length trackpad module as an option.

Also, is that a piece of electronics on the rear side of the below spacers?

1 Like

I believe that’s just their mechanism to sort of snap in place and be lined up correctly

2 Likes

It’s just plastic, plus a magnet. Part of the attachment system.

2 Likes

You’re right, thanks! With the lighting it looks like are green board :smiley:

I’m pretty sure it’s the same material, I think it’s a matter of the light reflecting differently, which you might never be able to get absolutely perfect.
I also think a full-length trackpad is a nice idea, but I also also think to first go fully modular was the right call. This is still a first-gen product and everybody here demanding Apple-like materials and finish, doesn’t think about what kind of company FW (still) is.
Because it is so modular, there is possibility and opportunity to create different modules down the line, which is the whole point.

I definitely want to see a bigger trackpad, but I understand that it will take a while until FW or somebody else comes out with a finished drop-in replacement

7 Likes

I know we can’t have the same “perfection” with a modular concept than an Apple laptop. And that’s fine. I prefer a computer that will be upgradable and software-updated more than 6 years.
But the modularity, on this specific trackpad case, bothers me. It doesn’t brings much to me (it’s personal) and I hope it won’t bring some weakness points

1 Like

It kind of makes sense because if they were to create on large trackpad module, there would be a lot of wasted space and I bet a lot of people would be complaining that they dont have enough space for additional modules. I would rather have the little gaps from the spacers than a large trackpad that would likely become e-waste once I need a module there

1 Like

Not necessarily so. The trackpad module could be modular itself, comprising the actual electronics and a passive frame to hold it. That frame could be styled freely (big ones with three different positions for the pad or something resembling the current solution). Just replace the frame to get a new look and feel.

I think this was updated recently:

Or maybe just Google’s crawlers just got to it.
EDIT: Ah, no, my bad, that’s from the 28th of December

4 Likes

As far as I know, there is only one connector in the bottom half of the laptop where the trackpad connects, and that is for the trackpad itself. I don’t see how there will be any future “modules” next to the trackpad. The spacers are there ONLY for the alignment of trackpad, in case of people either having the keyboard on left, right or middle. My guess is that vast majority of users will have it on the left with numpad on the right or some screen, OR in the middle.

It doesn’t have to be Apple like. I don’t know of any other mainstream company which has a laptop with the “apparent” fit-and-finish difference that the FW16 trackpad has because of the spacers. I am a huge fan and supporter of the company and the mission, but whenever I see the spacers around the trackpad I start to look for alternatives, but I don’t go through with buying another because of the hope that FW will make a trackpad module without the spacers in future because of fan request and interest, especially after they will start using it daily.

Framework 16 modularity allows you to choose between a centered keyboard and a keyboard with a numpad. That’s IMO the main reason for a modular trackpad. It allows you to place the trackpad below the keyboard in both cases.

1 Like

Interesting. Haven’t seen an entry in the CES exhibitor list

I’d like to replace those spacers with something more useful, too, but Framework seems to be working to capacity so they are unable to adress such a feature for now.
Sadly, the mechanics for those spacers haven’t been released yet, complicating 3rd party developments in that area, and according to the following official statement, it doesn’t look like this is going to change anytime soon, so in the meantime we need to exercise patience:

Framework support:
While we don’t have immediate plans to release touchpad spacer mechanics, we appreciate your interest and will consider your suggestion for future developments.