Framework 16 DIY - No Keyboard/Numpad input after drivers+bios update on Windows 11

I’ve already opened a support ticket, though given the “extreme contact volume” I’m hoping someone has actionable debugging steps before I get a response.

I have the US RGB keyboard and the numpad. Both worked correctly (RGB active, input received) during the Windows 11 install process and the initial boot of Windows.

After installing the “W11__2024_04_02” drivers and “Ryzen7040_BIOS_3.03” bios and rebooting, the keyboard RGB was no longer active at boot and Windows did not receive keyboard or numpad input.

When powering on the laptop all input modules are detected (i.e. no pre-boot screen reporting missing input modules) but I cannot enter the bios or boot selection menu as no keyboard input is received. Changing the position of the input modules does not change anything.

The various QMK utilities do not report any active devices in Windows so they’re not helpful in debugging this. I’ve also reinstalled Windows and installed Ubuntu but there is no change.

Module presence detection I believe is just done with a passive resistor on the BOARD_ID pin. So that would just show physical presence, without saying that the module is functional or that communication is ok.

Which utilities have you tried?
In ubuntu, are the modules showing up with the lsusb command in a terminal? Could you post the output of lsusb?

Just to check, modules aren’t producing keypresses in ubuntu either, correct? I’m presuming not, since you’ve said they aren’t working in bios or boot menu.

Correct, no input in Ubuntu either.

The qmk hid GUI and CLI tools. Neither reported any devices under the Windows install.

Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 007 Device 002: ID 32ac:0003 Framework DisplayPort Expansion Card
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 05e3:0749 Genesys Logic, Inc. SD Card Reader and Writer
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0625 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB3.2 Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0e8d:e616 MediaTek Inc. Wireless_Device
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 27c6:609c Shenzhen Goodix Technology Co.,Ltd. Goodix Fingerprint USB Device
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0951:16d2 Kingston Technology HX-KB4BL1-US [HYPERX Alloy FPS Pro]
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

For what it’s worth, I haven’t disassembled the device since the initial working setup and only detached the input modules after they stopped functioning so physical damage seems unlikely.

Well, the keyboard modules aren’t present on the USB bus. They would have to be present before any qmk utilities could potentially talk to them.

They would show up like this

32ac:0012 Framework Laptop 16 Keyboard Module - ANSI
32ac:0014 Framework Laptop 16 Numpad Module

If they were for some reason stuck in bootloader mode I believe it would be

2e8a:0003 Raspberry Pi RP2 Boot

The fact that they’ve both disappeared at the same time leads me to suspect a problem higher up, the input connector mid plate. But I don’t know the ID of the hub in the input connector mid plate. You could try checking the mid plate cable. Step 7 here Mid Plate - Framework Guides While you have the mid plate cable disconected I’d suggest doing lsusb again and copying the output to see if a hub disappears, just to identify which it is & that it’s showing up.

lsusb output is the same without the mid plate connected.

Does the trackpad not connect through the hub in the mid plate?

The trackpad does connect through the mid plate, but it’s not usb, so it wouldn’t show up there.

Exactly the same?
Note that there are multiple 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub entries. Could just be one less.

Yeah, I compared with git diff. It was identical excluding an additional entry for my mouse.

Sounds like your mid-plate might be a problem. Not much you can do besides double-check the connections, and wait for support to get back to you so they can go through their troubleshooting with you.

The mid-plate cable has the connection on the motherboard side, of course, but also a connector where the cable meets the mid-plate PCB. Others have had trouble with that side becoming disconnected, and even the connector latch not snapping closed securely.

The cable and both connectors look intact. I tried reconnecting the cable to the mid plate for good measure, but no luck. If it’s a physical issue, it’s not anywhere visible.

Greatly appreciate your help diagnosing my issue, hopefully support can help resolve it this week.

1 Like