Framework 16 - RX 7700S questions

I’m thinking of getting the RX 7700S for my framework, but while reading some reviews and feedback on the forum I found there’s a problem with the module due to coil whine.

How bad is the coil whine? Is this something that was fixed with the most recent models or is this still an issue?

Also, are you happy with the performance of the RX 7700S?

I plan on getting it for fusion360 and some small games in general.

My opinion, super happy with the performance. Coil whine on mine is louder than i expected, but the fans drown it out a few seconds after launching a game. I considered RMA, but they want me to send a video and I’m not sure it’s bad enough to deal with the RMA process. I was in batch 21, which shipped maybe 2 months ago.

Hmm, yeah it keeps up to most things in medium/high so that’s good, with FSR2.1. FSR3 with frame generation you can get serious FPS out of it but there’s the latency issue.

I don’t have coil whine on mine at all! But it is loud. I mean LOUD. It handles very well. Cyberpunk 2077 is one… well it is THE game I use for benchmarking my systems and it handles it super well. Here’s the benchmark tool below.

That’s good to know, thanks!
I’m not that concerned about the fan noise, but, I have a feeling that I wouldn’t like the coil whine.

That’s good to know, thanks!
This means that the coil whine didn’t affect all the boards :smiley:

I tried Cyberpunk 2077 without it, and, it wasn’t that nice :sweat_smile:

No Coal-Whine on mine. And I run Cyberpunk only in full HD to lower the noise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I tend to go for laptops with no coal at all XD

I kinda needed to see this thread too, I’ve been considering getting the GPU Module too and it’s good to see other’s opinions with it

Same.
I’m currently waiting for the RMA process to have my laptop back, but, I’m almost sure that I’ll order this soon :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a batch 1 laptop. No coil whine at all. The fans do get loud when it gets going. I’m happy with the performance. It’s not at the level of a top-teir desktop gpu, but it’s plenty for everything I have thrown at it. Most played game on mine is Helldivers 2.

For what you want to use it for, it is plenty.

3 Likes

Batch 3 laptop here, no coil-whine either.

Definitely happy with it, it replaces a desktop system with a AMD 5700XT. I’d say it’s pretty comparable performance wise, although that’s me looking from a distance without proper benchmarking. So far has handled everything I throw at it, including Cyberpunk, Cities Skylines 2 (via proton), FFVII Remake (via proton) and others.

3 Likes

Batch 13 and I’ve got to say it’s a solid GPU. No noticeable coil whine. I’m still a bit disappointed that it’s not quite as good as my desktop’s GTX 1080, but I’ve pretty much replaced my desktop with my FW16 anyway. I mostly play FFXIV on it and I’m getting playable frame rates even with the new graphics update they did. I play MGSV and it runs at a locked 60 FPS and I’ve also been playing a game called Evoland 2 which the FW16 just uses the APU for. :laughing: I’ve ran some tests with the game Control and got it running between 45 and 50 FPS on mid to high settings I had.

2 Likes

It’s been basically impossible to find benchmarks, and XIV is about the only game I’d want to play on it with the dgpu. How well does the game run at native res for the 16 with the gpu? What settings are you using? What kind of FPS are you getting?

No coil-whine on mine. Very happy with the performance, works well with my games and more importantly it’s fantastic at video encoding and rendering

1 Like

I have a batch 5 FW16 with 7950HS and 7700s dGPU. I haven’t experienced any noticeable coil whine. I’m using Win11Pro and have been able to game regularly. While I’ve played Cyberpunk 2077 without issue, primarily I’ve been playing Fallout 76 as of late, and generally average >120fps (with FSR and frame gen enabled). I have used the 180W charger during gaming, but admittedly I usually use a 100W Anker charger (which likely lowers the TDP).

1 Like

Late batch 1 FW16 (so possibly Batch 2) with no coil whine on my 7700s dGPU. The fans are pretty noisy, but the performance (and cooling) is very decent.

1 Like

Thanks all for sharing the feedback.
I just ordered the RX 7700S :grin:

2 Likes

Batch 3 here. I had a bit of coil whine when it was new, quietened down after a few weeks usage.

1 Like

Batch 5. No coil whine, performs better than expected in many game, just not the more demanding ones.

1 Like

Just ordered mine too! (Just have to hope it arrives before my laptop gets back from RMA :sweat_smile:)