Framework Laptop 13 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.05 Release and Driver Bundle

I got an email from Framework about this update on April 25th.

1 Like

Nice that you’d need to look this up, but doesn’t bypassing the bios password ruin the point of a bios password?

Yesterday I experienced a strange issue. Under heavy load, the CPU went up to about 97 degrees (Celsius) but fan did not turn on. Shut down the laptop completely, turned it back on, and fans immediately kicked on to full speed (even during the EFI POST).
FW Version: 0.3.5

I don’t think that it matters, as fans should be controlled by the EC, but:
Ubuntu 24.04
kernel 6.8.0-31-generic

There is nearly always a fairly easy way to do that on a PC, if you can open the PC up.

If you couldn’t reset the bios password when you forget it or don’t know what you set, then how would you ever use your laptop again? There has to be a way to reset it or it would create even more e-waste - throwing the whole laptop away and replacing it.

I’ve been having a similar issue since 3.03. Sometimes apps will just crash, the DE will start showing visual bugs, and shutting down will result in an error, making me have to hard reset. Sometimes everything freezes. I think the filesystem is going into read only, hence why no logs are showing up. I reported this a while ago [RESPONDED] SSD Does not Wake up After Suspend - AMD. But I never figured it out. I have been running dmesg constantly in hopes of seeing any logs when it occurs.

So I rolled all the drivers back and am still getting the BSOD. Rolled the BIOS back to 3.03b and the issue went away. I’ve just put 3.05 back on and the issue is back.

Is anyone else getting this issue on 3.05?

It seems upon further research, my usage of tuned instead of PPD might be causing the SSD crash on sleep (cc @Mario_Limonciello.) But after switching back to PPD, I had the problem of the crash after a few hours of usage again, so I downgraded to 3.03 again. It would seem that both problems are related, but happen under different circumstances (many hours of usage vs. after waking from sleep)

I’m using a WD SN770 2TB. fwupdmgr get-updates reports that it doesn’t have updates available.

You should go and check for any SSD firmware upgrades for your disks. Often manufacturers don’t push them for Linux, but you might be able to find an upgrade you can install in Windows or from a bootable USB key.

2 Likes

Oh interesting.

Also adding to what @Mario_Limonciello said, here’s a guide for WD drives on the Arch Wiki.

1 Like

I update the firmware of my lexar ssd and ended up not being able to use it on most linux distros as they wpuld ship older kernels that did not yet support that new firmware…

To update WD SSD firmware from linux, check this thread: Western Digital Drive Update Guide Without Windows/WD Dashboard - #48 by nos1609

I followed the manual directions (roughly) to update my SN770 1TB:

$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0n1
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Number:                       WD_BLACK SN770 1TB
Firmware Version:                   731120WD

@ChimP.the.PimP - is this a NM790? If so, where did you find the firmware update?

Yes it is the 4tb nm790 it showed up in fwupd, i was using debian back then and went on with the update. Afterwards i could not boot into my system anymore. Fedora seems to have the necessary patches included already, i am using it since then.

A bit of a late reply to this, I was temporarily “separated” from my laptop.

Taking inspiration from your approach I ran a bunch of tests on the fan behaviour and I believe it’s unlikely to be due to any changes in 3.05. I saw a few other threads, even with 3.03, mentioning the fan behaviour, so I thought I’d do a write up in a separate thread to keep things more consolidated.

My experiments appear to match your results. If I get a chance I will revert to 3.03 and have another go, purely out of curiosity, but thought it might be best to keep any discussion in another thread that is independent of the BIOS release unless an actual regression can be identified.

Update:

USB ports are working again! :partying_face:
I was recommended on the discord to perform a mainboard reset and that did the trick.

I will update again if the issue reappears.

1 Like

I had done some performance testing with the my Ryzen 7040 board in a Cooler Master case with rather disappoint results. Max all core clocks reaching max of 2100Mhz. Can anyone report their results with the new BIOS in performance mode?

Just wanted to throw into this thread that I updated to 3.05 BIOS two days after the blog post went up via fwupdmgr and haven’t seen any regressions in behavior. After updating the BIOS, I did have to power the system off completely and then boot for it to pick up my drive correctly after I had re-enabled secure boot, but otherwise the update process itself worked about as flawlessly as expected for my setup and I’ve had no issues. I’ve had several kernel/driver updates since, and no stability issues, currently on Linux 6.8.8

Weird. I just doublechecked, and I definitely didn’t.

Thanks for the input!

I got this as well. I’m on EndeavorOS running KDE.

It looks like, from my limited messing around, that / is being mounted as readonly at some point, which causes the OS to no longer be able to open file handles, and since linux uses them for everything the whole OS collapses on itself in really weird ways. No longer able to open file handles, or create child processes, etc.

You get errors like those talked abut here: [Solved] input/output error when running commands / Kernel & Hardware / Arch Linux Forums, which is why I suspect it’s / being remounted as RO, though I couldn’t work out a command that would be helpful in debugging that.

If someone can walk me through what it would be helpful to run, I don’t mind going back to 3.05 and chipping through debugging it.