Framework Laptop 13 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.05 Release and Driver Bundle

Just closing the loop here. After installing the AMD bundle, I was able to go to the AMD support site and download the latest drivers and no issues, everything is updated to the latest AMD drivers and machine is working great. If anyone else is thinking about updating to the latest AMD drivers, from my experience it’s safe to do so. Machine running smoothly for 7+ days with latest drivers from AMD. Thanks!

2 Likes

I have been hibernating now every evening for 25 days without a reboot and the AMD driver error has not appeared again. I would assume the moment it appears, it will then appear for every sleep / hibernation afterward until a reboot again.

I’m resurrecting this thread because I’ve noticed a weird trend recently, where upon booting my laptop and entering my password on SDDM, nothing happens.

I don’t know if it’s an SDDM/KDE issue, but if I open a TTY at that moment and check journalctl -k -b, I see a bunch of warnings related to “TSC” being marked as unstable and using hpet instead.

Hard resetting also didn’t boot well, I was once again stuck on SDDM. I had to power down entirely, then boot it up from scratch.

Again, I don’t know if my login issue is caused by this TSC problem, but it’s worth pointing out.

Here is the journalctl -k for the boot that kept me on the SDDM screen indefinitely (although my user password was correct):

(and for the same boot with userspace logs as well:
tsc boot stops at sddm including userspace · GitHub)

And here the one for the boot where I could login, after turning off and on again (no reboot):

(and for the same boot with userspace logs as well:
no tsc message boot ok including userspace · GitHub)

Since the only major difference I see is the one about this TSC thing, I think it may also be the root cause of my login issue (which is, needless to say, mega annoying).

Thanks! :slight_smile:

EDIT: there are some coredumps in the failed login logs, I suspect some ugly KDE/QT regression - not sure it’s related to the Marking clocksource 'tsc' as unstable message

Do you have the fingerprint reader set up? If so, what’s your PAM configuration for the fingerprint module? SDDM will go through the PAM stuff but not notify you about the fingerprint, which leaves you in an awkward position of it waiting for the fingerprint reader until timeout. The easiest way to check that is to just touch the fingerprint reader after entering the password. If it lets you through, you can reconfigure PAM to remove it from common-auth and put it into the non-SDDM locations you want it.

1 Like

I found the driver bundle was missing some, and didn’t install others.
I noticed after I started troubleshooting the RZ616 not working, even after reboot.
I had all these devices with no drivers:

All but 3 were available in the driver bundle, but I had to manually install them in the device manager.
Two of the remaining ones were USB4 Host Router device, which I had to install using the AMD chipset installer from the AMD website.
The last device is the Microsoft Pluton chip, which I learned is Windows 11 only (I’m running 10).

So the driver bundle is incomplete, and incompletely installed.
I also found newer Mediatek drivers I’m testing out. I can deal with occasionally needing to toggle the wifi on resume to get it working, but I draw the line at requiring a reboot. So far the new drivers are promising. The full chipset installer also was newer than the framework bundle, and seems to have resolved the sleep issues I was having (draining entire battery overnight).

Probably because it’s a driver bundle for Windows 11 and you are using Windows 10.

Ah, quite so. I do recall seeing it was for W11, but lacking a W10 listing, I just grabbed it and figured it would mostly work… then promptly forgot I did that.

1 Like

I turned off graphical boot, and haven’t had a single boot-to-black since.

In /etc/default/grub set GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" rather than the default

This driver installer does not work on Windows 11 24H2.

A very minor thing: I updated a long time ago, basically no issues. Just wondering about a change. Before, the power button LED used to blink slowly when on sleep; even when closed. on the current version I do not see that behavior anymore. Just wondering if this was an intended change? Happening on both Windows and Fedora.

Apologies if this is explained somewhere, or if I should post this question elsewhere.

I have a Framework 13-AMD, running Linux and, I think, the latest BIOS. This thread speaks of the latest BIOS as being version 3.05. So what explains the following?

$ sudo dmidecode | grep -i 'BIOS Revision'
           BIOS Revision: 3.5

I think I read somewhere (on the forum or in a guide) that there was funniness with the numbering; it does seem that the version number that Framework cites is one number, whereas what the BIOS actually reports (at least on Linux) is another number. That is bad because confusing. (For instance: I have a Conky that displays my BIOS version on my desktop. Yet, given the shenanigans, that number is . . not the BIOS version.)

If you want the “display version”, read the bios-version field:

% sudo dmidecode -s bios-version

The “BIOS version” is a freeform string produced by the firmware vendor to indicate the user-visible version of the firmware.

The “BIOS revision” is usually two 8-bit integers used to communicate the machine-readable version of the firmware. It’s not actually 3.5, but rather major=0x03 minor=0x05… which dmidecode displays as 3.5.

In short: if you want the marketing name, use bios-version.

2 Likes

Ah. Thank you very much. I find that on a ThinkPad (X230) the’ bios-version’ method and the ‘BIOS Revision’ method yield (with minimal clearing up) the same number. Not so on the F13. I’ll use the former method for the F13.

We have updated the driver installer to https://downloads.frame.work/driver/Framework_Laptop_13_and_16_AMD_Ryzen_7040_driver_bundle_W11_2024_10_02.exe

This fixes a compatibility issue with 24H2 which was just released.
If you are installing this on 24H2. please use this version.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Just did a fresh install yesterday & had to unzip the driver package & install each driver manually.

This will help moving forward! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

FYI the Framework 13 Help Centre article still points to the older installer. The 16 looks to be ok.

Just checking in to agree with Matthew_Slade-Carter. It took me a very long time to figure out why the drivers wouldn’t install because This page has not been updated yet.

1 Like

Looks like they updated it now.
Thanks for pointing it out!

mhh for me it still blinks in standby. i’m on linux

That is the reason I was asking I thought it was odd that the behavior had changed. Just to be clear mine blinks if open. It used to blink while open and closed.