Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - 180W Power Adapter

I’m pretty sure, that most configurations for the laptop don’t exceed the 180W limit they’ve set. Maybe they won’t even offer one in the first wave that’ll need more. They just want to make sure they don’t have compatibility issues for every single build they want to offer.

Also not sure how much thermal power they can realistically dissipate. We’ll have to wait for another deep dive for that.

Certainly understandable.
Framework might at some point sell a higher wattage adapter for those that need it. But them creating a list of suggested adapters, I think it’s a little problematic. Framework is a still currently a small company. Besides the time and effort it would take to vet 3rd party adapters, it could be a liability for them. Someone buys an adapter based on Framework’s suggestion, and it malfunctions and burns their house down. They may look to sue Framework. They may not win, but fighting a lawsuit would still cost Framework money. Not something they need.

1 Like

That’s a fair point. I imagine the community will create a thread of known working adapters anyways, and that would be sufficient for me. So I guess there’s no real need for them to do it anyways.

3 Likes

Unlike some OEMs like Dell, Framework follows USB specs very closely (though the type-c expansion card is technically not allowed). The USB-IF maintains a list of products certified to conform to their specifications, so any 240W adapter on that list will work.

Interesting to note- the WT6676F PD controller in the new adapter was certified just a week ago.

3 Likes

What’s said is that the laptop will support USB-PD EPR up to 240W power adapters. What’s not said is how many can be plugged in…and utilize simultaneously.

In the past, there’s been laptop implementations with 2 barrel plugs for charging. Can the FL16 take in 480W (over 2 x 240W)?

If so, this can be a first in the industry where the laptop’s power circuitry has been designed to scale up into the future needs.

Hm, so I’m going to need very specific max Watts specs for the CPU and GPU combos because I definitely plan to do video compression\editing and that can take a while

@Second_Coming image

9 Likes

Dell’s 130W is proprietary: 20V/6.5A piggybacking over USB-C.
Lenovo’s 135W is also proprietary: 20V/6.75A piggybacking over USB-C.
Dell can be excused somewhat because AFAIK their 130W predated PD3.1 EPR.

My concern going forward, though, is when the 240W EPR power adapter will be released. SlimQ already has a pre-EPR 240W GaN power adapter (240W over DC barrel jack output, plus 2x PD3.0 100W ports), so a 240W EPR charger is very possible - oh heck, I’d pre-order one of those.

1 Like

How on earth does the motherboard support 48V5A Power delivery over usb-c???
what’s the power chip?
Think that the power delivery is only theoretical

It’s part of the USB Power Delivery’s new Extended Power Range spec. More devices should be supporting it in the near future.

brrrrr near future
can’t see any EPR 240w over usb-c “near future”

Care to make a friendly bet? S̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶ ̶F̶r̶a̶m̶e̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶L̶a̶p̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶1̶6̶?̶ :upside_down_face:

Starting at 1,000$ but finishing at 2,000$ choosing some basic accessories :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oooh…thanks. Guess it is what it is for now. 240W is still awesome.

2 Likes

If I plan to optimize for battery life by not plugging in GPU then I could just use my existing 100w powe adapter right?

What exactly is the headline picture of? Is it a before and after photo, in which case is it the top or the bottom that is the newer model?

Top, the smaller power adapter, is the Framework-13 60W PD charger. Bottom, the larger one, is the new 180W PD charger that you will be able to order along with the Framework-16. Both of them should also charge any device that requires less wattage, since they conform to the USB-C Power Delivery spec.

2 Likes

So Framework is betting on the industry to produce some 240 W USB-PD chargers.

Despite some design choices mentioned in other fora here, this laptop keeps getting better and better ;). 240W seems acceptable for me at least for gaming, and draining the battery if more is needed just lays the right priorities… Nothing to add on this one :).

Damn, these guys are good.

1 Like

Not just Framework…pretty much the industry is betting on the industry itself…because of EU. (Currently only required up to 100W…but that will very likely change / increase in the years to come)

1 Like