180W USB C Charger

I like to have a backup charger/one at work so I don’t have to carry it back and forth all the time but I’m having trouble finding a charger that meets the spec. I assume framework has something lined up for this but are there any chargers on the market that actually output 180W on a single USB C port? Max I can find is 140W.

I just purchased a second one in the framework marketplace and keep that one in my bag!

NM… just checked… only the 60w one is available… do you need a full 180W?

I would assume he does. The 16 definitely needs more than 60W.

The Framework 180w charger is the first 180w USB-C charging brick released. Although Framework has stated that now that the chips required for 180w or 240w chargers are now starting to be mass produced they expect other 180w or 240w chargers to be released in the near future.

6 Likes

Like you I am also seeing a max of 140 watts on a single cable being currently available. Not ideal, but if you can spare 2/6 ports then you could run two connections from a charger to the F16 if you absolutely need the full 180 watts.

As Kyle says, Framework have the first commercial 180W available, FW16 was designed as good for up to 240W IIRC.

Most other manufacturers are still running proprietary AC adapters.

Afraid not, can’t combine power from two sources.

2 Likes

That IS an assumption since there is no mention in about a 16 in the OG post :stuck_out_tongue:

But it is posted under the Framework Laptop 16 section. I do however agree with your conclusion, there are definitely light use cases like mine that won’t pull even 60W.

1 Like

I don’t think it is a bad assumption to make, at least when configured with a GPU, since the available GPU has a 100W TGP and afaik it is possible to even add higher power ones in the future. In those cases a 60W charger probably won’t be able to prevent the laptop from discharging under load.

I don’t think it is a bad assumption to make, at least when configured with a GPU, since the available GPU has a 100W TGP and afaik it is possible to even add higher power ones in the future. In those cases a 60W charger probably won’t be able to prevent the laptop from discharging under load.

Yes, and the fact that its in the Framework 16 Topic… that the spec for the framework 16 specifically calls for 180W while running the GPU, and that I say I can find 140W chargers so why would I be asking if I only needed 60W… It’s really not an assumption

2 Likes

It doesn’t show me that it’s under that section unless I go looking.

The validity doesn’t change… still an assumption :stuck_out_tongue: You people are crazy lol.

1 Like

He posted it in the Framework 16 sub-forum…so yes, 16 is assumed.

So… you do agree with me that it is an assumption! We both made them!

You are insufferable.

3 Likes

Umm, what is that Blue Box in the top left? Don’t you have that on your machine? You don’t even need to read what is in the box after the first time - all FW13 topics are yellow and all FW16 topics are blue. Purple and other colours represent other topics.

2 Likes

I don’t expect the 180W PS to become available until probably a month or two after they start shipping FW16 machines. The first ones available will be reserved for sending out with FW16s.

1 Like

When I use as FW16 as travel laptop I don’t plan to carry the GPU. At that point 60-100 watts may be more than sufficient.

Waiting to see the results from early shipments. I’m batch 5.

I would be looking to buy an aftermarket charger with multiple ports (Anker, Ugreen,…) instead of the 180 FW one.
I have not ordered the GPU…
What would the max charging speed be that the FW16 needs in my setup?
I won’t be running very demanding software and only light gaming.

I’m doubting between 100W-140W chargers.
Thanks for your tips guys!

In my experience, the 100W is probably fine. I’ve not seen mine pull more than 70W while on battery under a heavy load. I’m sure it’s possible to draw more than that, but I’ve not seen it.

1 Like