Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - Display

I was hoping for mini LED…but this will do the job. Really appreciate the effort here.

e.g. We can’t get this display panel as an option?: Asus ROG Flow X16 laptop review: 2-in-1 gamer with mini-LED - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

7 Likes

:kissing_heart: Thank you for that! I feel heard.

4 Likes

Waiting for that to materialise for the FL13 2021. Still no touch screen for that model.

1 Like

woah amazing stuff!

Cant wait for the release date

2 Likes

Will there still be an option for a glossy screen?

1 Like

We definitely want to hear about the touchpad! Ideally with comments on upgradability.

7 Likes

Any potential plans for an upgrade path to an OLED variant?

8 Likes

I don’t really. This is exactly how the FL13 is designed (no touchscreen but pins on the eDP, for it), and it’s been two years without a touchscreen. The connectors are too difficult to source without being an OEM even if you could find a compatible touch panel. As such, the only one who could provide a touchscreen is Framework, and they haven’t done so.

1 Like

I was not aware of this. Hm. Well, maybe they’ve been working on it for the 13 this entire time, and whoever makes the 13 can just get out the screen stretcher and make the 16 too, so they’ll roll out together? Maybe they’re almost there on both?

I mean, it’s not a make or break feature for me, but it’s definitely my most desired non-essential feature.

This won’t be a deal breaker for me buying, but I would have preferred 4k @ 60hz over the higher refresh and lower pixels. Hopefully, you have some other options in the works over time.

1 Like

This looks really good from what I can tell besides my questions. I’m super excited about the 16:10 aspect ratio too.

Here are my questions @Framework Team

9ms rise+fall time

What is that metric compared to GTG?

variable refresh rate up to 165Hz

Is this Freesync?

100% DCI-P3 color gamut

What’s this in sRGB and Adobe RGB?

4 Likes

I really want a Spatial labs autostereoscopic 3d monitor. I’ve seen it in person and it is amazing no 3d glasses required and high res. could be brighter though. It’s on this model from acer PH315-55s-90K9

1 Like

DCI-P3 contains sRGB, so this is also 100% sRGB coverage. It is comparable to Adobe RGB in volume, but doesn’t overlap with 100% of it (not sure of the % offhand).

I just measured my FW 13 screen at 99% sRGB, 76% Adobe RGB, 79% P3, so the FW 16 screen is certainly a nice improvement.

6 Likes

Thank you! That sounds really great

2 Likes

So 165 Hz corresponds to 6.1 ms per frame, 9 ms rise + fall bumps up pretty close to that (4.5 ms for rise, assuming they’re equal). Is significant ghosting going to be an issue at these higher refresh rates?

3 Likes

Nice,
seems like hints for future LED/Touchscreen displays :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like a good start. Should be a pretty impressive all-rounder; depending on sales, more options can be engineered later.

Hoping for the best here with this modular approach to laptops, it’s the only thing that would make me excited about a brand as a techy. Because, it doesn’t leave me with that anxiety of this-or-that feature falling a bit short, and the only way to improve it being a whole new laptop. The screen is a great example. Lots of comments about OLED, Mini-LCD etc… and that’s totally achievable down the track without replacing the whole device in this case. Exciting!

2 Likes

Bonjour. :slight_smile:

Thank you for sharing this initial information about the Framework Laptop 16 screen! However, in my opinion, some important informations are missing:

• You didn’t specify the technology used for the LCD panel: Is it an IPS panel?

• I’m pleased to read that the DCI-P3 colour space is 100% covered. But I’m also curious to know the coverage of the Adobe RGB colour space, as well as the colour depth (in bits) that the screen is capable of displaying.

• The 165Hz display frequency is satisfying from my point of view, but I’d like to know if the screen is capable of a variable refresh rate compatible with VESA Adaptive-Sync and AMD FreeSync.

Thank you in advance for any further informations. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am a bit confused as to why the choice of a 16:10 ratio considering there seems to be a decently sized bezel below the display.

Looking at the photo and measuring the distance of the pixels, there should be more than enough room to fit a 3:2 display that simply extends farther down; in fact, maintaining the current 2560 pixel width, there should be enough room to fit around 1800 pixels vertically (which is roughly a 1.42 ratio; compare that to 3:2’s 1.5 ratio and 16:10’s 1.6 ratio).

1 Like

I’d bet it’s because of this part:

4 Likes