Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - Display

We know you’re excited to hear more about the Framework Laptop 16. In the lead-up to opening pre-orders, we’re kicking off a series to share more detail about how we designed each of the subsystems. If you’ve been following our progress since 2021, this matches what we did when first introducing the Framework Laptop 13. We originally planned to open pre-orders during Computex in late May, but will instead hold a bit longer into summer to have a more complete announcement and a shorter time period between pre-order and shipment.

Our first deep dive is on the 16” 16:10 display in the Framework Laptop 16. When designing and specifying a module, we think through and balance the various users and use cases of the product. For the display, we wanted to ensure it was excellent for gaming, content creation, and general productivity, while also being thin, light, power efficient, and cost effective. There was no existing panel that satisfied all of these needs, so we instead developed a semi-custom LCD display module with BOE, the same panel maker we use for the Framework Laptop 13. The “semi” part is that we customized the backlight for higher brightness and liquid crystal chemistry for better contrast and color gamut while leveraging an existing TFT mask set to avoid needing to pay a few million dollars in tooling fees.

With that, we’ve created a pretty amazing panel! The Framework Laptop 16 has 2560x1600 resolution, a 100% DCI-P3 color gamut, variable refresh rate up to 165Hz, 9ms rise+fall time, 1500:1 contrast, and an unusually high 500 nit brightness. We’re also using the same matte top surface that is on the new matte display in the Framework Laptop 13. All of this means that instead of having to choose between a gaming panel (fast response and refresh rate), a creator panel (high resolution, wide color gamut, and high contrast), or a general productivity panel (high brightness and matte surface), you get a single panel that excels at all three.

This panel isn’t a touchscreen, but we have the necessary signals on the connector on the Mainboard to enable one in the future. Like every module we develop, the display is extremely easy to replace. Instead of using adhesives and requiring replacement of the full lid assembly, the display module can be replaced on its own. It sits behind a magnet-attach bezel and is held in place with four fasteners. One change we’ve made from the Framework Laptop 13 is that we’ve designed the Display Cable (an eDP cable) to detach from the display side in addition to the system side, making swaps even faster.

We can’t wait for you to see this panel, and we’re looking forward to sharing more about the rest of the Framework Laptop 16 as we continue this series. Let us know in the Framework Community if there are specific parts you’re interested in hearing more about.

29 Likes

This is going to please a lot of people!

What about the hinges? Are they different from the framework 13 ?

3 Likes

Looks great! IMO it hits everything I could ask for, except perhaps latency :slight_smile:
Hopefully we can get a 13" display soon!

I was hoping for mini LED…but this will do the job. Really appreciate the effort here.

e.g. We can’t get this display panel as an option?: Asus ROG Flow X16 laptop review: 2-in-1 gamer with mini-LED - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

7 Likes

:kissing_heart: Thank you for that! I feel heard.

4 Likes

Waiting for that to materialise for the FL13 2021. Still no touch screen for that model.

1 Like

woah amazing stuff!

Cant wait for the release date

2 Likes

Will there still be an option for a glossy screen?

1 Like

We definitely want to hear about the touchpad! Ideally with comments on upgradability.

7 Likes

Any potential plans for an upgrade path to an OLED variant?

8 Likes

I don’t really. This is exactly how the FL13 is designed (no touchscreen but pins on the eDP, for it), and it’s been two years without a touchscreen. The connectors are too difficult to source without being an OEM even if you could find a compatible touch panel. As such, the only one who could provide a touchscreen is Framework, and they haven’t done so.

1 Like

I was not aware of this. Hm. Well, maybe they’ve been working on it for the 13 this entire time, and whoever makes the 13 can just get out the screen stretcher and make the 16 too, so they’ll roll out together? Maybe they’re almost there on both?

I mean, it’s not a make or break feature for me, but it’s definitely my most desired non-essential feature.

This won’t be a deal breaker for me buying, but I would have preferred 4k @ 60hz over the higher refresh and lower pixels. Hopefully, you have some other options in the works over time.

1 Like

This looks really good from what I can tell besides my questions. I’m super excited about the 16:10 aspect ratio too.

Here are my questions @Framework Team

9ms rise+fall time

What is that metric compared to GTG?

variable refresh rate up to 165Hz

Is this Freesync?

100% DCI-P3 color gamut

What’s this in sRGB and Adobe RGB?

4 Likes

I really want a Spatial labs autostereoscopic 3d monitor. I’ve seen it in person and it is amazing no 3d glasses required and high res. could be brighter though. It’s on this model from acer PH315-55s-90K9

1 Like

DCI-P3 contains sRGB, so this is also 100% sRGB coverage. It is comparable to Adobe RGB in volume, but doesn’t overlap with 100% of it (not sure of the % offhand).

I just measured my FW 13 screen at 99% sRGB, 76% Adobe RGB, 79% P3, so the FW 16 screen is certainly a nice improvement.

6 Likes

Thank you! That sounds really great

2 Likes

So 165 Hz corresponds to 6.1 ms per frame, 9 ms rise + fall bumps up pretty close to that (4.5 ms for rise, assuming they’re equal). Is significant ghosting going to be an issue at these higher refresh rates?

3 Likes

Nice,
seems like hints for future LED/Touchscreen displays :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like a good start. Should be a pretty impressive all-rounder; depending on sales, more options can be engineered later.

Hoping for the best here with this modular approach to laptops, it’s the only thing that would make me excited about a brand as a techy. Because, it doesn’t leave me with that anxiety of this-or-that feature falling a bit short, and the only way to improve it being a whole new laptop. The screen is a great example. Lots of comments about OLED, Mini-LCD etc… and that’s totally achievable down the track without replacing the whole device in this case. Exciting!

2 Likes