Touchscreen that can use a stylus (for creative people)

Maybe we will see a touchscreen in “Gen 2” of the Framework Laptop, as I suspect it would require some design changes. Maybe it’ll be a 2-in-1 by then :slight_smile:

4 Likes

According to the business model, something like a digitizer based screen would be a possible future option that could be purchased separately and installed by design in your current module.

I look forward to such a screen upgrade.

7 Likes

I’m also currently an HP Spectre user, and use a stylus to annotate and diagram while teaching. I’d be very interested if a touchscreen option was introduced.

2 Likes

Question for someone with more technical knowledge than me: would adding touch be possible as a simple display upgrade to the current laptops existing screen? I’d guess that the touch input would require another connector on the mainboard, apart from the current 40pin that the display uses.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this adds any knowledge to the above, but there’s now a decent pic of the display cable in the mainboard replacement guide, step 10. I’m not counting 40 pins, but I’m a total amateur and could just be looking at it wrong. Either way, @Nich_Trimble’s point still stands: if the mainboard can’t support touchscreens, then I don’t think we can reasonably expect to see a Framework laptop with a touchscreen in the future. That could become a growing point of frustration as Windows tries to integrate Android apps into its OS.

It is indeed a 40-pin header, and there are signals on it to support potential future touchscreens. That is not something we have a current roadmap for though.

23 Likes

Yeah a touchscreen option definitely would be a instant buy. It gives a lot of versality and nowadays it is really useful.

13 Likes

Without a 360 hinge, it will never be a great tablet, but the 180 makes it viable enough to use a stylus while sitting at a table (I presume, I don’t have hands on with one to know how stable it sits). I currently take meeting notes and do other writing with an iPad, so I could see appreciating a touchscreen option in the future. +1

8 Likes

Without a 360 hinge, it will never be a great tablet, but the 180 makes it viable enough to use a stylus while sitting at a table (I presume, I don’t have hands on with one to know how stable it sits). I currently take meeting notes and do other writing with an iPad, so I could see appreciating a touchscreen option in the future. +1

Engineer a screen that can fold back on the current frame, with pen and touch support, and you have a good addon that you can sell for creative capabilities. Could be through partnering with Wacom/Huion, or even allow them to make their own screen components for the framework laptop. If so, that’d be amazing.

5 Likes

A 2 in 1 would be great. I had a Toshiba miniclick 2Gb Ram £149 GB .
Effectively the keyboard held a second battery and extra ports and was removable

2 Likes

This is the main reason why I’m currently holding back on buying a framework laptop. I need a 2in1 where I can quickly switch to a “Drawing mode”.

Im currently driving a Lenovo Flex (or Yoga depending where you live) 2in1 Laptop for my Creative and Design work and I would love to switch.
The Esc Key died and now I either need to buy a new one or try to open a very complicated 2in1 myself. (Warranty expired a few weeks before it happened and they dont seem to offer repairs on my model anymore…)

I would love to see a easy to replay and upgradable 2in1 laptop in the future. That would be a day one purchase or pre order for me.

8 Likes

+1 for a touch screen and a 360 hinge. Holding off until this is confirmed, otherwise a sure buy!

9 Likes

I would be interested to know what proportion of laptops sold these days are 2 in 1s. The impression I have is that it is still a comparatively small minority but I could well be wrong.

1 Like

I am so interested in a framework but I really want a touchscreen/stylus. Hope this feature becomes available!

5 Likes

The lack of touch screen is also the only feature holding me back.

If you all could give an estimated date when this feature is coming (vs “no current roadmap,” which sounds more like “never” than “later”), then I’d buy instantly. Or, more assurance that buyers will be in the position to easily upgrade instead of having to shell out $$$ for another entire laptop from you in order to get the touch screen version.

Please consider it! I’d love to support your product, but a touch screen is a necessity.

8 Likes

Lenovo has a portable USB-C monitor (M14t) that supports a pressure sensitive pen.

it’s definitely possible to 3d print a hinge, not sure if the motherboard has a touch ic though.

1 Like

I vaguely remember someone saying that the display connector has pins for touch but I’m not sure if they can interact with the display in that Lenovo screen.

The Lenovo monitor only requires a USB-C with DP-Alt mode (and data).