Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - Display

Welcome to our planet bro XD

6 Likes

@Adrian_Joachim Yep, let’s just say I have waited long enough for thunderbolt 5 to start thinking that someone doesn’t want to hurt the desktop industry and so I guess it will never be released. And who wants to really have a notebook you don’t have to throw away after 3 years? :wink:

I am sure it has nothing to do with the eyewatring singaling rates it requires XD

usb4.2(or whatever it’ll end up being called)/tb5 is going to be pretty insane but damn I don’t even want to know what the re-drivers for it will cost.

1 Like

I hope they call it usb 5 or 5.0, so it goes together with Thunderbolt 5.

It would be so stupid to call it usb 4.2… But then again it is the usb committee, so probably we will end up with usb 4.2 Gen 1 plus ultra.

3 Likes

@Adrian_Joachim Yeah, sure… I am getting less and less convinced with technical excuses why speed should stay the same until eternity ;).

It sure won’t stay the same forever but unfortunately doubling the speed isn’t just twice as hard.

You can see it with pcie4/5 and ddr5 too, sure a lot of the price increase in mainboards do have a large greed component in them, they are also a lot harder to design and manufacture because the signaling requirements for ddr5/pcie5 are a lot more brutal than before.

3 Likes

Everything hits the right notes, but I wonder if it uses PWM or DC Dimming? Apologies if I missed a mention of it somewhere.

1 Like

@Adrian_Joachim Let’s hope it happens soon! I know desktops will forever be the holy grail of power, but I would be fine with thunderbolt 5 speeds for sure. Asus has already done it of course, but I hope it becomes more mainstream soon.

Asus has tb5?!

Even before Intel…

Gonna need some source on that, google doesn’t find anything

1 Like

They’re probably referencing the proprietary Asus PCIe x8 connector.
That’s not thunderbolt.

I was joking. Thunderbolt is an Intel technology, they even certify it. No way anyone is getting Thunderbolt 5 before themselves.

1 Like

Hey, we were talking about doubling the speed and yes, Asus has done it for several years, here quite an old model:

It’s called different, admittedly takes a couple of seconds to work, and the adapter is bigger, but it’s literally backwards compatible to thunderbold 4.

They are using it for proprietary Egpus only…

One of the reasons why I am getting more and more sceptical that it just can’t be done ;).

PS: maybe I am just wanting a Razer Core X with that connector to much ;)…

Doubling the speed of thunderbolt yes, anyway communication is hard XD.

External pcie connectors can be and are done but that’s hardly comparable to the complexity of something like tb5.

Might want to rather cheer on the oculink (or even better occulink 2) crowd insted then, as far as external pcie interfaces go I’d rather go with a related industry standard (not quite for this but for carrying pcie over cables) than something asus pulled out of their ass.

I could see someone making a dual occulink expansion bay module for the framework for a really baller egpu setup (minus the hotplug unfortunately) pcie4x8 should not bottleneck at least the next couple generations too much.

But without hotplug the idea of an egpu gets a lot less convenient.

Pepole have been sticking gpus in their wifi card or expresscard slots since the beginning of time, thunderbolt just made egpus kinda viable because it was less janky and had hotplug.

2 Likes

@Adrian_Joachim Yes, communication is hard as I think I just care about speed and not the connection type.

Not representing ASUS, but the amount of awards they won for their connection means it’s not garbage at least. According to what they say their speed is enough for modern gaming which I would take.

I think we have been waiting for a thunderbolt speed to increase for 8 years now (zero release date in sight). So yes, happy to take anything else, companies willing.

PS: The company I am rooting for is Framework as it just may be possible to connect the port they use for their dock at the back via cable to an EGPU… finally forcing the speeds via cable we need into existence (I think this would be twice as fast). This was mentioned in another forum here as well and I think it’s something people would appreciate a lot.

2 Likes

@Adrian_Joachim The thing about wanting faster data speeds is that you also need other devices that are faster that take advantage of that faster connection type. My desktop has PCIe 5.0 slots(both M.2 as well as x16), and without a PCIe 5.0 SSD or video card, I won’t be able to take advantage of the capabilities.

For something like an external video card, it still comes down to how fast the interface on the card is. I’d rather see a “external PCIe x16” connection that isn’t Thunderbolt, but is designed where you can potentially feed a display back to the internal display in a laptop or a “video in” option on a laptop screen.

The video in isn’t really that much of an issue anymore, it just costs bandwith but the expansion bay of the framework 16 is pretty much that, it has a pcie4x8 and an edp link to the internal display.

I’ve noticed that people who asked questions on Twitter following the publication of this article have received answers from Framework. But nothing here. It’s sad that Framework doesn’t spend a little time answering questions from its community on its own forum. :pensive:

1 Like