Framework Laptop 16 feedback and announcing Framework for Business

Batch 9? Wow. Congrats frame.work team.

Even if only 75% (I would bet it will be more like 90%) pay up and take delivery this should enable good things for the company and customers.

This is what success looks like!

3 Likes

Friendly reminder to any new business people in this thread that this is a user forum, meaning that while announcements like these are made here on the forum, the best place to get answers about the Framework for Business program is on the portal linked in the post above, specifically by filling out the contact form at the link below.

While Framework employees MAY clarify information in this thread, they do not constantly monitor this forum, so Support is the best and fastest way to get answers from the company!

7 Likes

Interesting Q&A article with nrp related to Framework Laptop for Business.

6 Likes

Please consider adding a Kensington Lock Port in the next revision. You can see all the interest from the community here in several threads: Search results for 'kensington' - Framework Community

We understand they aren’t truly effective but then no lock is. They act as a deterrent and can save disruption to work & life for about two weeks if the laptop was nicked. Data and hardware components are not what we’re trying to protect - just continuity of life & work.

An alternate solution is also an option. But I have a Kensington Nano Port cable already :wink:

1 Like

Quality product, replaceable parts, huge savings the in long term. What management wouldn’t love that?

Great to hear that a pilot program had been ongoing for a while. Considering that business and support contracts are a big part of the market, I for one can’t wait to see the changes framework’s mere existence will force upon the competition

I won’t be buying a new machine for a year or two, but it’s definitely going to a framework. Hope production ramps up soon (maybe even a 2-in1 someday? )

1 Like

I’m the IT guy where I work, we’ve made huge strides to solve this issue by simply deploying laptops and getting up and running with them as painless as possible. We require all company documents to be stored in OneDrive or SharePoint for example (which means you lose nothing when a laptop is stolen), and we use AutoPilot (which means apps deploy themselves), and we have GSuite Identity and MS for Syncing both Chrome and MS Edge easily. And we have Firefox set to SSO with Windows (which because we Azure Join everything works perfectly).

We actually had someone last month get their laptop destroyed by a bad spill. They were back up and running in full in under 4 hours. There is a reason having at least one spare device on hand is useful.

While losing a device sucks because of the costs and what not, at the end of the day the solution isn’t really to put locks on them, but rather build out IT tooling that makes switching between devices as seamless as possible for end users. At least that’s my feeling on it.

1 Like

Has framework published any compare/contrast of possible costs of their business programs vs. a normal IT lifecycle at a large corp where machines are either on-lease or re-sold after 2-3 years anyway?

Also, since framework does not (yet?) sell desktops is the idea that IT department move their laptops and maybe SFF needs to Framework but stay with a normal vendor for the user segments that need desktops?

I really like Framework as a product, and I can think of several ways even in the corporate environment Framework would be better for me as an end-user. But wondering if Framework has much of a chance there from a pure cost and vendor simplification standpoint. This is not a criticism, I am legit wondering, :slight_smile:

To try to answer your question as a fellow outsider, my guess is that Framework is not yet trying to compete in this segment, but more opening up the opportunity at this point for IT workers who get to make the choice of what computers their company uses to switch to Framework if they would like. This will allow Framework to test their business program, and scale it up slowly. There is probably not any data on this program vs. a normal life-cycle, since Framework has barely been selling laptops as long as a normal life-cycle, so starting now they can start working with partners to collect that data.

As for the desktop replacements, I’m guessing that framework is currently targeting companies that are either only using laptops/SFF PCs or companies that are buying/building all the Desktops they need separately, as they likely are not ready for large businesses that would already be partnered with Dell/HP for all their computers to partner with them.

I will not buy a framework 16 gaming notebook until they have the option of having Intel chips and Nvidia gaming cards as an option.

The company should give updates on if they’re ever going to have Intel or Nvidia chips available in the future.

More options for upgrades that the consumer likes would create more revenue. Right now this is solely an AMD computer.

In the future. Please give us updates on what progress is being made with Nvidia and Intel chips. No one seems to know what’s going on.