Framework Laptop 16 User Reviews

I notice it on my FL16. The worst are the escape and delete keys, then the keys on the numeric keypad and arrow keys. Finally all the other keys on the main keypad all have some bleed.

1 Like

Okay, the FL16 performs mighty fine with the ADT-Link UT3G USB4 eGPU Adapter. I Scored 11th Place on Timespy with the R7 7840HS + RX6800XT Combo B-)

The Higher Scores look like they are using Oculink instead of an USB4 eGPU as they run lower GPU Clocks with higher GPU Scores.

For now i really like the Device, tuning the TDP with X86 Tuning Utility helps keeping the Noise lower. I do not have any Keyboard Flex. The Spacers were pretty aligned from the Get go.

2 Likes

I calibrated my screen and did a full measuring report. Seems like the claims were right.
The screen itself is awesome, very happy with this laptop. Even without the dGPU it runs games faster than my old laptop with 1050 Ti. After installing W11, running the Christitus tweaks and running the Atlas OS playbook this thing is blazing fast and has pretty good battery life (I limited it to 60%). Install process was easy and everything was up and running within an hour.

6 Likes

I keep forgetting to come back here and give a review on my beautiful machine after having it for a few weeks (Batch 19!), and I’ve got to be honest: I’m in love. It’s been fantastic! Sorry in advance that it’s a long review; I have a lot of feelings. I’ll leave a TLDR at the bottom.

I got lucky and don’t have any big problems with my spacers or touchpad module or anything. There is one spacer that’s a tiny bit crooked, but it’s flat and has no sharp edges, so I’m okay with the small visible gap. It’s not a functional/tactile issue, in any case, and barely an aesthetic one.

I was really worried about the keyboard, but I’m happy to say my worries were for nothing. I’m a keyboard snob, and I spend 8 or more hours per day typing intermittently for my job, and I usually HATE chiclet/island-style laptop keyboards. But this keyboard is SO comfortable to type on, even for long sessions. People have said they don’t like the slight flex in the middle of the deck, but I think it feels springy in a good way. The keycap texture is also kind of soft and grippy, and I love it. I usually have long-ish fingernails or gel extensions on, and they tend to slide right off the hard, shiny keycaps on laptops if my nails hit first instead of the pads of my fingers. That hasn’t been a problem at all with this keyboard. Seriously, I LOVE this keyboard.

The RGB settings on the keyboard are great. It’s a beautiful keyboard. I have it set to a static pink right now. (Shut up. It’s pretty.) The RGB numpad is just as beautiful (though yes, you do have to program them individually), and I ordered extra spacers to swap layouts depending on what I’m doing. The color-shifting spacers are so cool. I’ve gotten lots of compliments on them already.

The 16-inch screen somehow doesn’t feel that much smaller than the 17.3 and 18-inch screens I’ve had in the past. The bezels are thin, and I love the aspect ratio. I’ve had zero issues with it. I have to admit I love a glossy screen and may buy one if Framework ever decides to offer it as an option for the 16, but the matte screen is still beautiful and makes it super easy to work near windows or even outside. The brightness is totally sufficient for my needs.

I haven’t put this laptop through its paces as far as the specs, but running Sims 4 with a stupid amount of mods/cc is no problem. I’ve also used some Adobe stuff like InDesign and Illustrator without it breaking a sweat. I’m not seeing anything weird with fans as others have reported, or high heat (but I also often use an external fan pad, so that might play a part in how cool it runs). The graphics expansion module seems like it’s been doing a great job. Everything looks fantastic, especially compared to my old laptop.

One more thing I love about the Framework 16 is the expansion cards. I’ve already swapped some positions, changed them out for extras, etc. The flexibility of having the right ports for different situations or setups is awesome.

The best part is, of course, that I can repair or upgrade this laptop in the future as needed. I tend to dislike change once I know I like something, so being able to extend the lifetime of my laptop was a huge part of why I chose Framework.

TLDR; I’m so glad went with Framework! Works great, looks great, feels great. Love the keyboard. I can see myself having it for a loooooong time.

12 Likes

Love it :slight_smile: You should see the tuned FW13 of my youngest

That is the part where I, as a traveler, disagree. I need it to be bright if required, and mat anti glare so I don’t see the white in my eyes and people passing by behind my back.
This is by far one of the best screens I have had on any laptop, and also better then some of the 23" screens I have had in the past.

1 Like

I guess I’ll give my review of using this for a week+. For context, in case it’s important, I am using Linux Mint Edge and am a total beginner with Linux so I’m struggling on that end.

Got the DIY Edition. Was fun to put together, but was so simple that it was almost a bit disappointing. That being said, it was still a cool experience since you can’t even do that much with most other laptops. My spacers have no gaps, but the touchpad is raised a bit near the keyboard, but it’s such a slight bend that it doesn’t cause issues for me. Instructions were super easy to follow (even though I spent a few minutes wondering why the screws wouldn’t come out before reading that they’re not supposed to fully come out) and honestly, anyone could put this laptop together.

Expansion cards are super nice. I really like that I can change where they are on the laptop and have already exchanged them a bit. I also got a community made expansion card called the Donglehider+ and that works perfectly as well. I honestly got it just because I loved the idea of having a community made project and having to tinker a bit to get an extra part to work (just had to solder on the receiver pcb inside the donglehider). My one gripe is that the ethernet expansion card is super ugly and bulky to me. It’s semi transparent plastic and is like double the thickness of the normal expansion card. I’ve been hoping that the one thread talking about it would yield a slimmer community made ethernet expansion card, but I think that project was dropped, so that’s a bit disappointing.

The keyboard and RGB Macropad are both nice. The keyboard has a nice texture to it and doesn’t flex and feels super responsive. The macropad also has a nice sleek texture and look to it. I was actually worried the macropad would look kind of tacky, but I’m happy to say it doesn’t. I will say that the RGB lighting that it’s set to out of the box is BLINDINGLY bright, but luckily, without even downloading an OS, you’re able to change the settings of the RGB and there are a TON of options. I’m actually really glad that the macropad is set to a numpad by default since that’s what I wanted anyways and eventually I’ll change the extra buttons. Speaking of RGB, I couldn’t get keyboard.frame.work to work at all. I’m assuming this is a Linux problem, but I kept getting errors when I tried to get it to work. Like I said, I’m a newbie when it comes to Linux, so I couldn’t figure out a fix. So, that kind of sucks. Another thing is palm rejection doesn’t work at all. It drives me insane. There are fixes mentioned for it, but I can’t figure out how to make that work on Linux Mint Edge with the files I have. Palm rejection not working is actually driving me insane. Well, at least the touchpad has a REALLY nice glide to it.

The cooling on the laptop is AMAZING. When it gets hot, it really does an amazing job cooling itself down even if it sounds like jet engines have gone on full blast to do so. Some of the heat does transfer to the touchpad and spacers though, so your hands might get a little toasty. It’s not burning hot, but just a bit warm. The fans being on blast like that does make it a bit rough for streaming though, but that’s fine.

As for gaming, wow this thing can handle gaming WAY better than I thought. I was concerned because I saw reviews saying it was a little worse than a GTX 1080 with the dGPU, but it holds up incredibly well. I played Elden Ring while streaming with like 10 tabs open in Brave Browser and it works flawlessly. I mean, it stutters here and there, but I think that’s more of a Linux issue than a problem with the computer to be honest. Obviously, the fan is on full blast the whole time as well, but that’s perfectly acceptable to me. Very happy and pleasantly surprised with the performance of this machine with games.

I had some worries about how it’d perform and if it would be worth buying the dGPU, but I’d say it was definitely worth it. Overall, I think this was an amazing buy and would recommend it for anyone who is comfortable with taking the laptop apart when it’s this easy. There are better options if you don’t take into account the repairability and upgradeability of this laptop, but honestly, those two factors make it completely worth it.

6 Likes

Very true! I think I’m just a weirdo for glossy. A matte screen is more functional and probably more preferred by the majority. And I agree about the performance of this screen—it’s pretty hard to beat.

How does your youngest have their FW13 tuned? I’m curious now!

2 Likes

Something like this - Not copied on paper and colored by self … Mostly when being bored at school (PS: She just passed her baccalaureate with flying colors - tends to say: I try to think slowly, but it is too difficult … :joy:)

I am not allowed to take a picture from the keyboard/screen side - as this is personal stuff (friends - face drawings and so).
PS: She told me - stop talking to that person if she does not recognize the refs :smiley:

1 Like

I honestly think people preferring a matte screen are just being slaves to the marketing. Every matte screen I have bought, I regret when I look at a glossy screen and see how much better it is. I even have two steam decks, the expensive “etched” one I bought first, and a normal glossy one I now play 100% of the time.

Funny thing is, 99% of the time a glossy is better because those screens are used in-doors where there is no bright sunlight glaring off it. But you know what screens are always glossy but used more often out-doors? Mobile phone screens. Noodle on that for a bit.

Very cool! I do get quite a few of those references, phew! I particularly love the Petit Prince drawing in the bottom left corner. Tell her she’s very talented!

1 Like

That’s a very good point! Maybe I shouldn’t give up on team glossy just yet.

That is the point. Even my Samsung Tab S7 I have here, when outside - glossy screen etc. is not optimal. I always go for a dark wall to be on my back so I can use it.
I do admit, that for touch-screens, a Matte display is not optimal as the matte won’t stay over time.
But because I travel, and my kids are going to university - they tend to sit quite often outside for work. I sit at airports, airplane different workplaces etc… and here, the matte screen is a must.

And, oh yeah, because I’m 100% home-office worker and our kids (we have 4 + grandkids) tend to come visit quite often when we are at our summer mansion in the south of France - the bright daylight requires a matte screen, especially when we sit at the pool and enjoy life :sunglasses: The screen of my son’s Mac book pro (last intel based one) is almost not usable on an sunny day at the pool. And even “he” admits it :joy:

1 Like

Very extravagant self-flex.

4 Likes

Just finished setting up my fully spec’d Framework 16 ( 7940HS - Radeon™ RX 7700S - 64GB - 4TB NVME).
My daily driver is a Thinkpad P1 Gen6 (i9 / A5000 etc etc etc).

Being a hardware geek the instructions to put it together were easy to follow and was surprised about how well the hardware is laid out. Installing Win11 was a breeze but the wifi card is not detected until you install the drivers, which might confuse normal users. I see some uneven gaps between the spacers and the keyboard (no numpad I hate it). The bezel on the display is too big to my taste but I love the matte display and the high refresh rate.
The worst part is that with the GPU module the laptop won’t fit in my current backpack. Wish the GPU module was easier to replace/swap.

1 Like

It was to set the context on the location and the use case. The light in the south (dry air) and next to water (strong reflexions) is intense and makes a glossy screen unusable.

I find reflections indoors annoying too. I tend to keep my screen brightness very low (on the 16, I rarely move it off the minimum), so that plays a part - the brighter the screen, the less noticeable reflections are. I really like the screen on the 16. (It definitely isn’t marketing hype - I don’t really notice marketing around laptops)

1 Like

Jimster, sorry if that seemed directed at you. I can assure I was referring to someone else.

Please accept my apologies, it was a individual who thought DIY would be fun, That was not you, my friend.

Warm Regards,
Joseph

2 Likes

All is good, no need to worry.
Enjoy your laptop!

1 Like

Waitaminute, all this time, my keyboard’s had a backlight? I could have saved… dozens of cumulative seconds trying to find f and j at night.

2 Likes

Exactly, as you said! :joy: