Framework laptop 3D model

Hello,

Since I just got a 3D printer, I’ve been learning FreeCAD. It was quite intimidating at first but I’m learning and learning.

My first 3D model is of the Framework laptop and I thought I’d share it here in case it helped anyone. The dimensions should be accurate to +/- 0.5mm, maybe better in smaller areas where I was able to measure with micrometers, say +/- 0.2 mm.

I need to add more detail, of course, but some areas are really complicated - just run your finger along the curve from the front of the laptop over the speaker grille to the expansion cards, for instance. I don’t have the skill to do something like that yet. One thing I can do is measure the outer curved edges once I can get my 3D printer printing properly again and print a radius gauge.

Perhaps FreeCAD experts will find I’ve done this completely the wrong way and I’ll admit to that but it would be nice if they used their expertise to refine this model.

But this should be good for overall dimensions and more. Refinements and improvements are welcome.

https://www.printables.com/model/395701-framework-laptop/files

I may be able to export other formats, but with varying degrees of success. OpenSCAD .scad takes a VERY long time and there are some placement issues in the model (the expansion cards are not placed properly). Perhaps other formats would work better. I’m open to suggestions.

Edit: 3D printer working nicely again, printed a radius gauge and corrected the radius at the corners (turns out it’s 7mm).

13 Likes

That’s absolutely brilliant. I feel your pain. When I started to design module enclosures I couldn’t get to grips with any of theses programs, at least not quickly enough, I’m very impatient. So I started with sketchup, as I could at least make basic shapes. The first few days were very frustrating, I just couldn’t get it to do what I wanted it to do, and looking things up never seemed to answer my questions. So trial and error was the order of the day. Now I can make almost any shape, but sketchup has some issues, especially when working at very small dimensions, it’s easy to end with split faces and can be a nightmare to get rid of them. I wish I could use one of these other CAD programs, but, I’ll probably never use sketchup again when I’ve finished with these cases.
Anyway, kudos for the dedication and perseverance, it looks like a great model and something people have been asking for, for a while. So, many thanks.

1 Like

Hey @Fraoch! This look like a great model - I am wondering if you have removed this from your GitHub as I cannot find it anymore?

1 Like

Yes, I removed it from GitHub. It was quite primitive and someone else posted a much better one just after I published it, so I removed it.

I can’t seem to find that other one now.

It’s still up on Printables though.

3 Likes

I appreciate your response - thanks a lot! I will check out printables :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Figured the right place to post this was by revitalizing this thread - I finally got around to making my own model of the laptop. Rebuilt it from the ground up so base dims may be somewhat different than OP’s original. Any differences might just be down to differing manufacturing between their and my machine, and also could be just differences in measuring equipment or methodology.

Overall should be a relatively accurate representation of the laptop exterior, though I couldn’t be bothered to get the sweep over the speakers exactly perfect. There’s some convex profile there that I couldn’t be bothered to model, short of taking a scan there’s only so much I can measure. Similar situation with the rubber feet, I think I got the resting angle and the taper of the profile within a pretty high level of accuracy, but measuring the soft angled surface is messy enough that it should be noted that it only represents my best guess.

I might add more detail in the future as I refine the model for my own project needs, so I’m also dropping a link to the Onshape file so you can all do the same or use updated models in the future.

STL scale is in mm.

Framework Laptop Exterior.stl (4.0 MB)

Link to Onshape if you want to make your own fork

4 Likes

Thank you so much for this @Frosty :slight_smile:
Though may I make the recommendation of uploading a STEP file download for those of us who don’t have OnShape? STL isn’t great for making modifications.

I tried, unfortunately it’s a disallowed extension type on this forum :frowning:

1 Like