Framework Laptops are now Thunderbolt 4 certified

Good news for the 12th Gen guys :grinning: but bad news for the 11th Gen pioneers. :slightly_frowning_face:

Youā€™d think the 11th Gen was Intelā€™s first stab at CPUs or was it Frameworks first stab at laptops?

Ah well. :expressionless:

Iā€™d second that request, it would be useful for 11th-gen owners to know where they can expect limitations in TB4 performance (and implicitly, where they can expect things to work without fault). Pity that some things were not solvable in firmware, but thatā€™s the reality of hardware design, of course :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Glad to hear FW has official TB4 cert on the 12th gen. As an 11th gen owner, itā€™s a minor bummer that itā€™s not officialā€¦ but honestly not a big deal. Every thunderbolt accessory Iā€™ve used has worked fine for me.

Like others, I would like to know what limitations exist as far as not meeting certification standard just to know what issues I might encounter.

6 Likes

Iā€™m begining to feel like a second class customer being on 11th gen. I suspect more of the same to keep happening as more board models keep coming. Not cool. At least fix the title of this blog to 12th Generation Framework Laptops are now Thunderbolt 4 certified.

4 Likes

It seems FW is quite good actually at bios updates up to now. Most consumer laptop do 1 year bios and that s it . Professional like thinkpad do 5 years. If you are in software you know some stuf are hard to achieve. Sometime you think honestely something will take 3 days to develop and after 3 monthes you still don t have a clue of when it will be delivered.
It hard to achieve such an industrial project as FW, they have been fast to deliver a complex product that quite work on its first gen and do work good on 2nd. I also have a faire phone 4 which I believe for a 4th iteration is not as good as FW.

4 Likes

Can I ask why? Is it because 11th gen has the RTC bug and other unresolvable hardware flaws? What do you mean by ā€œmore of the sameā€? That 11th gen will continue to be left behind? Or that FW will drop support as soon as a replacement come out? As I would agree with the first but not the second. I would also say that 11th gen was a first-gen FW laptop, issues are to be expected, some more serious than others. TB4 certification seems less important so long as the issues are constrained to edge cases, which seems to be the implication.

6 Likes

I mean it will inevitably continue to be left further and further behind as limited people-power is shifted to newer boards. Another reason Iā€™m not a fan of the one off chromebook edition. To their credit the firmware updates have been steady improvements up to this point on 11th gen. As you mentioned though there are already issues that donā€™t seem to be on the table as going to be fixed. Canā€™t imagine this situation improves over time but would be estatic to be proven wrong.

Iā€™m less worried about a sticker from Intel as I am with capable hardware not being fully supported with available features. This has a direct implication on hardware usability as it ages and therefore a direct correlation with a stated goal of Framework.

I agree but itā€™s also something I would expect the Framework team to know and address accordingly not to just expect customers to upgrade.

2 Likes

It would be good if Framework set a support/firmware update timetable for each version like Google does for its phones etc.

Does each version get 1/2 or 3 years of firmware updates and hardware availability etc.?

At the moment it feels like most IT depts Iā€™ve worked in, the new sexy hardware arrives and the kids all drop the current ā€˜oldā€™ stuff to work on the new sexy stuff.

ā€œHey guys, you still need to finish thisā€¦nevermind!ā€

Well at least not a third worlder exploited down the mines and in the factories making the product :slight_smile:

does this mean Iā€™ll be able to use the screens since the beginning of the boot process? also I have some quirks when resuming from hibernation where sometimes I can use one of the two connected displays, I attribute this to TB not being correctly implemented in the current firmware as well

This is excellent news. Is there any sort of rough ETA on that 12Gen 3.06 firmware update?

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum, desperate or what :rofl: you havenā€™t allowed much time since the announcement. :thinking: 4 days: Give the poor workers a break :slight_smile:

1 Like

@SustainableTechGuy Youā€™ll find the FW is very tight lipped about things. Never expect any kind of announcement about when or if something is in the works. Based upon previous history, Iā€™d expect the firmware update to come out in the next 6 months or so. Anymore specific than that seems unlikely. FW does not develop the BIOS themselves, it gets contracted out to Insyde. Insyde is slow as hell.

8 Likes

@GhostLegion and @amoun, thanks for the insights. I didnā€™t intend my post to be needy/whiny ( I did say rough ETA). Is it not natural to ask about a timetable in a case like this - in direct response to the manufacturerā€™s announcement?

To be clear, my expectations are in check - I donā€™t have any illusions about how difficult the dev on this stuff is, or the fact that FW is an early stage company doing a very ambitious thing. I also get that FW doesnā€™t want to set a bunch of deadlines and then fall short of them. I believe in the FW mission, and so I voted with my checkbook. Very much looking forward to getting off of the Dell hamster wheel. :peace_symbol:

4 Likes

Everything is natural, just some parts of nature (animals) are demanding on others, especially those that call themselves human ~ the least tolerant of creatures.

Just saying : The deadlines canā€™t be assessed as it probably being done in Taiwan alongside a load of other work. It could be weeks or a couple of months :scream:

Itā€™s not a critical issue and will come with security and other updates so . . . ??

:om:

Totally is! No worries :blush:

Iā€™ve said this in another post but FW isnā€™t known to release any details until itā€™s literally already out. Theyā€™re pretty secretive about stuff. I donā€™t really like that approach but I totally get why! :orange_heart:

Hope this helps~

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure they are being secretive about when the update will be available, surely they just wait for Insyde to say itā€™s ready and then it is.

1 Like

Take heart, we have avx512 unlike those unfortunate 12th genners

3 Likes

They can disable the E cores maybe :thinking:

Intel fused off avx512 in alder lake so disabling the E cores is no longer a work-around

5 Likes