Framework Linux Community Ambassador Program Launch

Hello everyone,

We are delighted to officially launch our Linux Community Ambassador Program and introduce you to our five ambassadors. They come from diverse backgrounds, and we will be collaborating with them in various ways to enhance the Linux experience and improve compatibility. You may meet some of our Linux ambassadors at Linux or FOSS in-person events, while others are more active on social media and community platforms, supporting your favorite distros. Some will also be working behind the scenes, focusing on hardware compatibility for the Linux Kernel.

We are very excited to kick off this program and introduce you to our volunteer community ambassadors:

Jorge Castro

Jorge works on the Projects team at the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (cncf.io). He’s worked on projects such as Ubuntu, Kubernetes, Kubeflow, and Cloud Custodian. He’s currently working on Project Bluefin and Universal Blue. He’s here to help the Framework team make the best Linux experience in the world for as many people as possible. And then building on top of that by providing a sustainable operating system for open source contributors and developers. Enjoys heavy metal, beagles, and paleontology.

Mastodon: @jorge@hachyderm.io

YouTube: youtube.com/@JorgeCastro

Fraxinas

Andreas Frisch aka “Fraxinas” in the FOSS world, graduated from the University of Applied Sciences in Aschaffenburg with a degree in electrical engineering and information technology. Formerly employed by the company which released the first Linux-based STB called “Dreambox” and SMT make.tv / LTN Global. Specialized in Embedded Linux, GStreamer Multimedia Programming and Streaming. Crustacean since 2018. Loves to attend and speak at Hacker conferences and camps around the globe. Founding member of Repair Cafés and monthly television appearance as the “Repairfox” in Germany’s ARD Buffet. Passionately tinkering in the Schaffenburg Hacker/Makerspace. Queer Youth activist, mountainbiker, musician and Japanese learner.

Tommi

Tommi (he/they) is an enthusiastic and talkative person. His passion and his work focus on Digital Sociology, in particular on investigating the Internet from a social, economical, political, and philosophical perspective. Among many other things, he has worked for the Free Software Foundation Europe, he founded a cultural festival, and he is the admin of a tiny Fediverse server. Currently, he is pursuing an Erasmus Mundus Joint Master in Artificial Intelligence for Sustainable Societies, and his main project is Knitting Our Internet.

Please do get in touch! :heart:

@tommi:pub.solar on Matrix, or surfing@tommi.space via email.

Greg K-H

Greg Kroah-Hartman is a Linux kernel developer and maintainer and will be helping to ensure that Linux runs properly on Framework laptops, as he relies on them for his kernel development work. He has a blog at www.kroah.com/log/ and can be followed on the Fediverse at https://social.kernel.org/gregkh

GloriousEggroll

My name is Tom Crider, however most people in the Linux gaming space know me as GloriousEggroll, and refer to me by my nickname ‘Eggy’. I’ve been active in the linux space for about 20 years, with my projects and work in the gaming space gaining popularity over about the last 8.

Current Active Projects:

• In 2017 I along with a few wine maintainers took over maintaining wine-staging.

• Later in 2017 I also became a Lutris contributor and joined their development team.

• In 2018 Valve released their ‘Proton’ gaming compatibility tool based on WINE, and I’ve been working on a fork of Valve’s Proton called GE-Proton since. The fork includes wine-staging patches, various media/video+audio codecs from ffmpeg, and regularly includes additional patches for games that may not have made it into proton yet. It also includes “protonfixes” – which is a tool that applies per-game scripts for fixing various quirks in different games.

• In 2019 I was hired by Red Hat and am currently a Software Maintenance Engineer for them for my day job.

• In 2022 I started a new linux distribution based on Fedora 35 called Nobara Linux, following Fedora’s release numbers.

• In 2023 I attended the Ubuntu Summit and met with several others in the Linux gaming space. Together we put together a team (Open Wine Components) to create UMU – a tool which utilizes Valve’s pressure vessel and steam runtime in the same way steam does so that games can run the same across all systems outside of steam. UMU also has a database for protonfixes that we collectively contribute to so that the same game fixes are applied across the board. Whether using Lutris, Heroic, Faugus, or other tools, as long as they use UMU as a backend, they all run games the same way and apply the same fixes pulled from the database.

https://nobaraproject.org/

I use my framework as my work travel companion, and have upgraded it so many times I was able to build a second one out of spare parts :D. With the release of the Framework 16 along with its dedicated swappable GPU and the 120hz variable refresh rate enabled display I am excited for the future and to be able to show off what it’s capable of!

I am most active on:

Discord: GloriousEggroll#8701

X (Twitter): @gloriouseggroll

Matrix: @gloriouseggroll:fedora.im

and occasionally Mastodon: @gloriouseggroll@fosstodon.org

18 Likes

Nice to see so many familiar names on that list.

3 Likes

Yeah! :rocket:

3 Likes

I know of Jorge and Eggy, awesome awesome additions to making Framework even more awesome. Awesome to have Greg here as a kernel dev as well! I mean Linux already runs pretty great on Framework devices, but these folks can really help improve that even more!

That said I’m sure all the ambassadors will do great things! Viva Framework!

4 Likes

Great job putting this together! It was probably difficult to not accept more into the program as there are a lot of talented people who likely applied (or were recommended).

This will be a great enhancement to continue spreading the word of important things for Framework and the open source community at large. :trophy:

1 Like

You’re absolutely right! We had amazing candidates, and it was really hard to choose. Since it’s still a pilot program, we had to limit it to a small number of people. We’ll be collaborating with more people in the future though :slight_smile:

1 Like