Framework NixOS (Linux) users self-help

I recently started having problems with NixOS on my Framework 13, 11th Gen i5. I am running unstable (kernel 6.6.34) and hyprland.

My problem is with external monitors. If I unplug one of my external monitors, what use to happen (say a month ago) was that any open windows on that monitor would display on my internal monitor until I plugged the external monitor back in.

What happens now is that when I unplug an external monitor, the windows that were on that monitor do not appear on any of my other monitors, and when I plug the external monitor back in, the whole compositor seems to crash or restart, and I am left with empty workspaces on all monitors.

Anyone else getting this?

And one other issue I started getting: whenever I boot or resume, the keyboard backlight turns off. I just updated to FW 3.19, but it was doing the same thing with 3.17.

This most definitely is an issue with Hyprland itself, check the logs of Hyprland when that is happening.
Logs can be found in $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR/hypr
Crash reports are stored in ~/.cache/hyprland or $XDG_CACHE_HOME/hyprland

Once you have more info, search for similar issues on Hyprlandā€™s Github

Also check, if this may be the issue

I just tried a system update on a AMD Framework 13, and I got the following errors running nixos-rebuild:

error: builder for '/nix/store/xp0dagn3p4v3nm24x51zrgwwwfl0lpnp-fprintd-1.94.2.drv' failed with exit code 1;
       last 10 log lines:
       > Program xmllint found: NO
       > Program python3 found: YES (/nix/store/z7xxy35k7620hs6fn6la5fg2lgklv72l-python3-3.12.4/bin/python3)
       > WARNING: You should add the boolean check kwarg to the run_command call.
       >          It currently defaults to false,
       >          but it will default to true in future releases of meson.
       >          See also: https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/9300
       >
       > meson.build:156:8: ERROR: Problem encountered: Python3 module 'pypamtest' required by test suite not found
       >
       > A full log can be found at /build/source/build/meson-logs/meson-log.txt
       For full logs, run 'nix log /nix/store/xp0dagn3p4v3nm24x51zrgwwwfl0lpnp-fprintd-1.94.2.drv'.

I update the system every few days, and I have had not any issues updating, or with the fingerprint reader until today. Any ideas how to resolve?

What channel are you on? Might be a problem on unstable and fixed within a few days. I havenā€™t had any problem on my end. Could you attach the full log output? You should find that with nix log /nix/store/xp0dagn3p4v3nm24x51zrgwwwfl0lpnp-fprintd-1.94.2.drv

It usually helps to check the main bug tracker for this sort of thing:

And after the fix is committed, Alyssa Rossā€™s PR tracker is your friend: https://nixpk.gs/pr-tracker.html?pr=325196 (didnā€™t work yesterday, but today it shows the fix has reached both nixpkgs-unstable and nixos-unstable).

@Mastermindaxe , @Alex_Shpilkin Thank you both, everything was indeed working today. Going forward, Iā€™ll keep an eye on the nixpkgs repo.

I ā€œdiscoveredā€ NixOS a couple months ago, so Iā€™m still climbing the learning curve.

It is by far the best Linux experience Iā€™ve had with the Framework, particularly with power management.

Hey, I had a quick question about configuring my Framework 13 with AMD Ryzen 7 7840U. I saw in a previous message in this thread that nixos-harware has pre-defined profiles for the FW13. However, it seems like the AMD one is for the 7040, not 7840. I didnā€™t notice at first until I got the following error

error: The option `hardware.amdgpu' does not exist. Definition values:

I just wanted to ask if I had to perform these tweaks on my own, or if it is supposed to be working for my CPU as well, and this is just some simple mistake I made somewhere. If someone with the same CPU could let me know, Iā€™d be helpful :pray:

Youā€™ll need to paste your config. Hard to help without more information. NixOS Search the option seems to exist so Iā€™m curious what youā€™ve got going onā€¦

Yes, youā€™re totally right. Here are my flake.nix, configuration.nix and hardware.nix.

Looks like youā€™re on 23.11 and Iā€™m guessing the options hardware.amdgpu are for 24.05. You could try updating your nixpkgs input in your flake to the 24.05 release and see if that resolves your issue?

1 Like

Are you talking about the home-manager.stateVersion? Sorry, Iā€™m a bit newbish to Nix and NixOS in general. I was under the impression that changing this value is generally discouraged, from a different post I came across. Otherwise, I have a nixpkgs-unstable input in my flake. Couldnā€™t I simply use that instead?

Ok, sorry, I got what you meant. I updated in general all the inputs on my flake.nix to 24.05 and got everything working.

1 Like

Has anyone else had issues with the microphone being super peaky with default settings? Iā€™ve had to lower microphone volume to about 40% to accomodate. Iā€™m on the 7640u with Gnome 46, and my config is linked here.

I have my mic set to 30%. Much more and it starts to sound rough.

Hi, Iā€™m a NixOS (and sometimes windows) user and am wondering how the Framework Laptop 13 will work. I am finding myself increasingly in need of a laptop. (Used to have a M2 Macbook Air but we all know that apple is awful.)

Knowing how Nix doesnā€™t always work perfectly, I wanted to make sure it will work well (with a bit of tinkering) if Iā€™m going to make quite a large purchase. I use Hyprland and my Nix config works perfectly well on my desktop with a Ryzen 5 7600x, 32gb Ram and RX6650xt.

I donā€™t personally use it (I use Fedora or Arch/Cachy) but I know there are plenty of people that do this.

Canā€™t say for hyprland, but Iā€™m using sway with framework 13 7640u and things are working as good as with other distribution.

1 Like

Iā€™d assume Hyprland would work similarly to Sway because they are both based on Wayland. I am currently so close to just biting the bullet and buying one but I know I should practise some restraint :).