Framework Wikipedia pages

Thanks nrp! Now I was able to upload my own Framework Laptop photo from the Upload Wizard.

Notes for someone who wants to upload your photo to use on the “Framework Computer” Wikipeida page.

• Here is the screen shot to select your license. The default was “CC By-SA 4.0” (not 3.0), and you can select another license too (such as CC0) by clicking “Use a difference license” link.

• You can’t change the uploaded file name after you upload it. You can only change the publish status from public to private by requesting it to the admin. See here. So, take care your image file name to be uploaded. In my case, the file name was “framework_laptop_sway_community_forum_small.png”. It’s not cool. But I uploaded it unintentionally and using it, compromising

• The File syntax to show the photo on the Wikipedia is like this.

[[File:Framework laptop sway community forum small.png|thumb|upright|''Framework Laptop'']]

@Tyler_S I think now the process to declare the license for your wallpaper image is to upload your artwork (wallpaper) to WikiMedida Commons from the WikiMedia’s Upload Wizard first after creating your account on WikiMedia. In the process of the uploading the image, you are asked the lincense. Then Caleb is going to upload his wallpaper later considering your license.

Could you do that? Thanks!

Sorry just moment. Sorry for confusing you.

@Tyler_S, assuming that you declared the license CC 0 on this thread is good enough, now
@Caleb_Majeski uploaded his wallpaper to WikiMedia Commons. And I referred the image from the Framework Computer Wikipedia page. The page is even nicer now :slight_smile: Thanks for your help!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framework_Computer#A_company_or_individual_driven_projects

I added a photo of Framework Laptop at the Design Museum - the exhibition “Waste Age: What can design do?” to the Framework wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framework_Computer#Electronics_right_to_repair_movement.

I contacted the museum to get a permission to use the photo on the page, then fortunately they helped me by providing the photo and the details of the exhibition and suggested sentence for the page.

1 Like

@Caleb_Majeski How you noticed your wallpaper was removed by Wikipedia (and maybe Wikimeida commons too)? The following URL is the change. I noticed this months ago. Though it might be wrong, but in my memory, it was deleted at Wikimedia commons first.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Framework_Computer&type=revision&diff=1069737204&oldid=1068008670.

I just took a look at the Wikipedia article and I just wanted to say that you did an amazing job :slight_smile: The edits seems to be mostly yours. Cheers.

2 Likes

@Starlight Thanks for your kind words. Honestly I don’t think that I am mostly editing this page, is the best situation in terms of sustainability and scalability of this page. So, maybe I should share why I am doing this, and what my motivation is here.

Because I think Wikipedia is one of the most seen pages by people who consider buying or try to find the latest update. So, if the page is more attractive and fair in the guideline of Wikipedia, more people consider buying, then Framework earns more money, and the company hires more people, then the company can execute what they plan, and can care about users more. The situation is beneficial for users including me. And the company can save advertisement fees.

As I had seen this community forum relatively longer, I had an idea of how to describe this company’s big picture, and I wanted to output it in a sustainable way.

I am happy to communicate with other editors on Wikipedia. They kindly give feedback to improve the page to me. The place is where I can work by my intrinsic motivation. And I can quit this activity any time when I lose the interest. And it’s not a problem at all. Someone may continue to do this. This is another good thing for Wikipedia.

How the Wikipedia page’s sections are structured is one of my expressions for the big picture of the company.

In the case of Framework’s business, it is a business targeting the long tail or horizontal approach that aims to maximize one layer’s market share. In the case of Framework, the layer is a laptop hardware. Imagine 3 layers: 1. CPU, 2. Laptop hardware, 3. OS.
To achieve the horizontal approach, Framework needs to collaborate and co-create with communities and partner companies (e.g. CPU:, Intel, AMD, Arm, IBM, RISC-V). So, the current “Partner relations” section is to measure the company’s horizontal approach. The “A company or individual driven projects” section is about Framework’s ecosystem.

Other contents are important notes for people trying to buy such as Shipping forwarding service is not supported by Framework. I wanted to reduce the repeated same questions in the forum by a way I can do.

Seeing e.g System76’s Wikipedia page, currently missing section is “History” to describe the company’s events, such as “In MM YYYY, the company was founded …”, and “the company was funded by …”.

The tech specs (CPU, memory and other parts product names) were not my interest. Because it was covered by Arch Wiki - Framework Laptop page. And it’s hard to maintain the info on Wikipedia just alone by me.

And again following the guideline of Wikipedia is the first priority.

4 Likes

Here is I wanted to write mainly today :smile:

This change is my change. As I forgot to login to Wikipedia, IP address is shown instead of my account name, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Framework_Computer&type=revision&diff=1089053316&oldid=1088864142.

But the important note for Framework and media to keep in mind is to respect Open Source licenced images. A great sincere media respecting this is Tom’s Hardware. Look at the page https://www.tomshardware.com/news/framework-mainboard-modular-circular-cyberdeck, and you see image credit on each photo. When the article was published, the licence was MIT, that maybe requires to show the license holder’s name. I hope all the media would add image credit for each image like Tom’s Hardware when they use it on the media or SNS.

@junaruga Just agreeing with this acknowledgment, very well written.

2 Likes

Thanks! I am not a native English speaker, and some sentences I add have issues. But this is Wiki, some other editors polish the page, and the outcome is better than what I do it alone.

1 Like

I have a suggestion to Framework. I want to see a third party media’s articles or interviews about the following topics. I know something about the topics as I read the Framework’s blog articles. But I want to see the contents and insights on third party medias.

• How Framework supports users with KB article, community forum and etc.
  • Framework’s strategy about supported countries, and how they decide the countries with the locale page. Why Framework doesn’t recommend the shipping forward service.
  • How Framework’s Linux support looks like.

Because Framework Wikipedia page, especially the support section is currently in the full of primary sources, and the section has a warning about it. I want to remove the warning by adding the secondary sources about the topics. Thanks.

One more thing. I want to see more third party’s media articles about the Framework, the company itself and the company’s business strategies and activities, not about the company’s products. Because the articles are important for the Framework page and some contents to stay on the Wikipedia.

Recently I created Star Labs Wikipedia page, but it was deleted after we discussed here. Because there were many third party media’s articles covering the products by the company, but there was no article covering the company and company’s strategy and activities.

I need someone’s help with better sentences on Wikipedia. I want to simplify the sentences below contributed by someone (thanks!) on Wikipedia - mainboard section. The outcome in my mind for Wikipedia is like sentences in a scientific paper to simplify and clarify by cutting duplicated or decorated words, using active verbs rather than passive verbs. (E.g. Here are the tips. I am just learning it now.)

There does appear to be an issue with the first generation mainboard that requires complete removal and reconnection of both main battery and RTC cell, if the laptop is not charged for a relatively short period of time.

The sentences refer to https://community.frame.work/t/laptop-wont-power-on-unless-i-plug-in-ac-power/13085/61.

I don’t understand what the sentences mean. If it is about an abnormal or exceptional case that needs to replace the mainboard, I am still not sure how and where it is written on the Wikipedia page.

My draft:
A first generation mainboard may not power on without plugging AC power, as both the main battery and RTC cell have to reconnect wrongly if the laptop is not charged.

To clarify:

• Does this issue happen on every 1st generation Framework Laptop or a few?
  • The “a relatively short period of time” => How long time? Where is the reference source?
  • What is the real time clock cell?

@Jasn702 @Moe_Wigs Do you know any suggestions about this? I just found you guys on the thread. Thanks.

@junaruga

This sentance seems straight forward to me, “a relatively short period of time” means a period of time much shorter than one would expect normally, but could be variable.

The issue is that the RTC cell is rechargable and when the laptop is off and disconnected from a power supply the RTC cell discharges rather quickly, which leads to a state where both the main battery and RTC cell need to be disconnected and then reconnected to reset the state of the mainboard. Since it’s an RTC problem, I assume that all boards are affected if left uncharged for several weeks at the most.

The RTC cell is the battery that allows a computer to retain power to the CMOS chip where the BIOS stores it’s settings.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation! OK. Right now I don’t change the sentences, I just added a link to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_clock there.

Question. The RTC cell = RTC = RTC module, right?

No, the RTC cell is the small coin battery keeping the “RTC” (Real Time Clock) alive.

(It does more than just keep the RTC alive on a modern laptop, but historically that’s what it did.)

2 Likes

Okay. Thanks for the explanation!

1 Like

I wanted to add a sentence about this Fedora x Framework talk session as a case of Framework’s community relations to Framework’s Wikipedia page - “Community relations”. But I noticed if I would add it by myself, it might violate the rule of Wikipedia as a “conflict of interest”. Because I was a host of the talk session.

So, I just put my draft sentence here. If someone is interested in adding the sentence to the Wikipedia page, feel free to use the sentence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framework_Computer#Community_relations

In August 2022, a Framework's developer had a talk sessions with Fedora contributors in the Fedora Project conference.<ref>{{Cite web|date=July 27, 2022|url=https://community.frame.work/t/fedora-contributor-x-framework-developer-ama-event-friday-august-5th-utc-19-00/20674|title=Fedora contributor x Framework developer AMA event|website=community.frame.work}}</ref>

Edited: I added it by myself with the disclosure of showing I was a host of the talk session in the comment.

2 Likes

A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (February 2023)

On the latest update of the Framework Wikipedia page, the message above was added to the top of the page. The “A major contributor” means me clearly. And I think the update is the right thing.

I am not paid by Framework. I don’t belong to the company. I tried to be neutral when editting the page. However, I am relatively active in the community. So, I admit someone may recognize me as “close connection”.

So, I will pause the activities to edit and update the Framework Wikipedia page, letting the page go.

Let me share one thing I noticed. I just noticed the Framework Laptop’s product name is updated as “Framework 13” on the Wikipedia page by the latest commit. I appreciate that! However, I believe that “Framework 13” is wrong. “Framework Laptop 13” is correct. I already sent the message to the person who updated the page, as I am pausing to update the page by myself.

Guys, please consider updating it on the Wikipedia page. Thanks.

I updated the Wikipedia page by myself correcting the product name. I couldn’t wait for the person to respond and update it… :sweat_smile:

1 Like