Fried my mainboard because laptop didn't suspend when closed

It looks like my mainboard has been fried because my laptop didn’t suspend when I closed it and I put it in a backpack. I’m running Ubuntu linux.

I’ve been having this problem for a while, I raised in on these forums two years ago.

I’m mostly posting this as a warning to others. Even though I was aware of the problem it’s still difficult to remember to manually shut down the laptop every time, and sooner or later something like this would happen.

I’m also a little surprised that the laptop doesn’t have some kind of failsafe that powers off in the event of overheating.

I’ve ordered a replacement mainboard but I’m worried that this will happen again.

Sorry to hear that. What board is it, what is it doing when you try to power the machine on, and do you get any post codes?

Thanks.

It is a 12th Gen Intel® Core™ - i7-1280P.

When I try to boot into Ubuntu I get “Unexpected number of charge port count” and then booting appears to freeze, there is no more console output after that line.

I’m not sure what you mean by “post code” but I don’t think I got any.

I should add that I’m still discussing this with Framework Support, and they’ve been quite helpful, it’s still possible they’ll find a cheaper fix but I’m not optimistic at this point.

1 Like

By post codes I mean the led blinks on the side. They should indicate if there is some sort of problem. Are you able to get into the bios, and are you able to boot from a live usb or live image using ventoy, for example?

1 Like

Yeah that warning is “normal” and common, so it shows that you are posting properly. Like @lbkNhubert said I’d recommend booting a live distro, to make sure your install hasn’t killed itself.

2 Likes

One should always shut down laptops before putting them in any enclosed spaces. That error message seems like an operating system or drive corruption issue, not hardware.

Suspend doesn’t power off it’s not like hibernate, so if you suspend the laptop should not be in a bag. It will heat up and the battery will die. This is a Ubuntu issue I have. I dual boot with windows. If I use Ubuntu I power off and the Grub options allow me to resume from hibernate in Windows or open a fresh Ubuntu.

The message about ports is fine.

Overheating failsafe. What would you measure.? The CPU can get to 100&degs;C the battery hopefully not 40&degs;C

Yes, I meant to say “hibernate” not “suspend”.

You say the message about ports is fine - but boot freezes immediately after this message - suggesting that it’s a fatal problem, no?

1 Like

I get that message and it just moves on. I think there’s post about that.

If I am correct it happens after that.

Can you try booting from a USB as if you were going to install afresh?

I’m not sure then, strange for it to fail without outputting any error. I will try booting from USB when I get a chance. Thanks for your help.

There’s this post I was referring to:

Unexpected number of charge port count Related to this code