Full Power Magnetic Charging Card

This is seriously awesome, thank you for posting! Really shows the usefulness of the modular and open approach to hardware design.

1 Like

Got my framework today and am using the magnetic charging card it is amazing thank you again!

4 Likes

This is absolutely wonderful!
Any way I can buy this from you?

1 Like

Thanks @Sean_N ! Your model printed great and hopefully this kind of magnetic connector will become standardized so there’s less risk of electrical damage.

Printed with:

• PETG
  • 0.15mm layer height
  • No supports, no raft
  • 4 perimeters
  • 15% infill

(I’m a new account and can’t post more than one photo. I modified the photo to remove logos on the cable and connector, but I bought the ones that were recommended in the video)

More pics: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

9 Likes

So I made this and it fits perfectly while holding the internal pieces. Unfortunately after a day of use I swapped it back out for a normal USB C card
The framework charger cable is too thick and keeps pulling it off with slight adjustment. I ran into an issue trying to get it connected last night where it connected and disconnected a few times in a couple of seconds where the computer wouldn’t charge from it anymore. I thought I had fried my system but fortunately Everything is fine.

1 Like

Any possibilities for a mag safe charger with this idea?

1 Like

Since it’s just a standard USB-C charger, is it possible to buy a lighter cable to make it work?

1 Like

Unlikely. Most USB-C cables designed for the higher wattages required for the Framework are going to be thicker due to physical necessity. Anything thinner would not be able to safely carry the required amount of current. (Also rest assured that if it’s a cable that meets USB-C specs and is not rated to carry higher current, it simply won’t work at all rather than risk overheating the cable.)

2 Likes

@nez Yes, I found a much better option. I’m pretty happy with the flexability over the factory cable. Here’s a link to it. https://www.amazon.com/Baseus-100W-USB-C-Cable/dp/B08PPGYRCX

5 Likes

Hmmm I didn’t buy the official adapter because I have multiple Macs that all have USB charging. The Macbook adapters seem to work fine, and the cables aren’t too thick.

2 Likes

I also was not happy with the rigidity of the cable which came with Framework’s power supply. I recently swapped it out for a usb-c cable from an android phone power supply. More flexible and similar to the mac cable I previously used. Works fine.

So I wanted to give this another chance so I purchased this cable like suggested (https://www.amazon.com/Baseus-100W-USB-C-Cable/dp/B08PPGYRCX 51) and it works perfectly. Glad I came back for a second round. It works great.

3 Likes

I did the same as @Ryan_Blakeney and agree that it’s much more secure with this cable.

Had ten of these modules printed in PET G and bought the parts for three adaptors. If anyone is in need I am happy to part with printed parts at cost and will have to complete units as well. You can request a DM address and will be happy to discuss via email.

5 Likes

Here it is installed…

5 Likes

@Edgar_Acosta Wish I knew how to 3D Print, would love to grab one of these for mine! Any chance I can get a DM address?

Removed for DM as to not clog up board

1 Like

FYI, been using this for about two weeks (with the OOB cable). Working great! Thanks for the design!

1 Like

Received parts for a few more on Friday. Will be sending out to those who who ordered when mail store opens. During testing, I was surprised to see that the two ports on left side of machine both charge. I was under the impression that only the top port charged?

Any of the four expansion slots should allow charging.

3 Likes