Full Power Magnetic Charging Card

@Edgar_Acosta1 you also starting a new account? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
cc: @Edgar_Acosta who originally kindly offered the service first

1 Like

Not sure why this is showing up as a new account? Perhaps signing in on a different platform while the other is on?

2 Likes

I would love to get one myself, if anyone is organising.

1 Like

The real hinderer seems to be the availability for the right length of extension piece.
I am unable to find something comparable to the sold-out original reference from cablecreation. They even don’t mention it on their website any more. Even the usual chinese direct marketing websites do not list anything comparable.

Unless someone is able to dig out a supplier, we seem to be out of luck.

3 Likes

amazon is your friend

1 Like

Does that adapter/extension still show up as available for you? For me it shows “currently unavailable” when looking at it on amazon.com
If it goes back to stock I’d be happy to just pay a few euros in shipping fees, but from what Uwe wrote it sounds like that’s not very likely to happen

4 Likes

The cablecreation USB C male to female adapter is out of stock everywhere. I want to make sure it will fit the print. Is there another specific one that fits? @Sean_N thank you!
like this one is shorter: https://www.amazon.com/ARKTEK-USB-C-Adapter-Support-Charging/dp/B07BMTPYN1

edit: actually I’m confused why we need to use up an expansion card slot for this. can’t you use the USB C magnetic adapter as-is with the power adapter? just keep the little male piece in the laptop. maybe it doesn’t stay put well?

2 Likes

Is anyone planning on printing more of these for sale, without the hardware? I have the hardware and would like to just purchase the print.

1 Like

If you want the print just use a 3D printing service.

2 Likes

Yes you can, the card is just so the connector is a little more flush with the case as opposed to hanging off the port. Mostly an aesthetic thing :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I had mine come in with it’s Male USB-C crushed and I cut it open in attempt to replace the connector. Unfortunately, it looks like I ripped off some solder pads, but it could be useful for anyone else here hoping to still do this project.

Looks relatively simple, almost straight pass-through of the pins. I have access to some calipers and can get some more accurate measurements of everything in the morning if need be.

4 Likes

Yep, if you can provide the dimensions that would help heaps.

2 Likes

@Josh_Cook and anyone else looking to make their own adapter: Here’s what I’ve got. I’ve triple checked all of these with my calipers, let me know if you have any questions.

In total the adapter comes out to 34 mm when fully assembled. The male end reaches out a little farther than the female end does.

2 Likes

For those not up to making a card there is this ‘fair trade’ option

Cable: Charging laptops?

Newer laptops provide the capability to charge via USB C ports. Unfortunately, not all USB C cables are the same and many do not support laptops. Our cables do, by supporting the universal charging standard USB PD up to 60W.

Cable: Data?

Our cable supports High-Speed USB, otherwise known as USB 2.0, allowing data speeds up to 480 Mbit/s.

2 Likes

I don’t understand, surely if you’re making up a board all you care about is the dimensions of the expansion card slot, USB-C connector you’re using, and magnetic connector you’re using?

Why go to the effort of making the PCB but still replicate the original plugging together of off the shelf pieces design? Even if that’s for some reason desirable (you want to be able to unplug the magnetic adapter to reveal USB-C?) you are surely (a) missing the dimensions of the female USB-C adapter, and (b) could still at least shorten it slightly and have it fit flush?

1 Like

(I’d ping those who seemed interested but it’s almost everyone here)
Thank you all for all the work designing, building, and sourcing parts. I agree that the availability of the correct length is critical to this part, and hope to see a more reliable supplier. After some searching, I found an (overpriced) newegg listing, which I now await. For those also looking, here it is: https://www.newegg.com/p/1BK-00E5-00225
Happy frame.working!

4 Likes

I must be missing something or a lot of brain cells.

I followed you link

a) I see no reference to the topic , a magnetic charging card
b) What use is a male to female extension, it is hardly an adapter just a way of elongating a USB C female port putting more stress on the existing socket.

???

This thread is about installing (1) a short USB C extension, connected to (2) a magnetic charging adapter, into (3) an expansion card :slight_smile:

Most of the people in the thread have had trouble getting piece #1, which is perhaps addressed by the product link Jared shared.

5 Likes

Ok working backwards

1. I have an expansion card with USB C
  2. I have a magnetic adapter that plugs into the expansion card
  3. I have a cable that goes into the magnetic adapter.

If the short USB plus into the magnetic adapter sop can the cable

What I’m being to think is that you do not mean an expansion card but the slot where one would go. hence the extension.

And if that’s the case, why would anyone want that when you can buy an expansion card.

???

The point of this solution is to have something integrated as opposed to having it stick out of an off-the-shelf USB-C card:

1 Like