Full Power Magnetic Charging Card

Ok finnaly I’m on the same page :blush:

Ah! I may just have to dismanlte one of my USB C cards to see if I can modify it :slight_smile:

Jump up to post 25 in this thread and you can see one of the 3d printed versions.

1 Like

The reason why the extension is out of stock is it does not conform to USB specifications due to signal attenuation. This means that it poses a risk to your device if you use them for data use.

I may be able to get them but for POWER USE ONLY.

1 Like

Sauce? What about the many other extenders still in stock? You can confirm those do conform to the spec?

I enquired to the manufacturer about this and they said when in use with data transfer it can cause damage. For power use it is perfectly fine.

2 Likes

Interesting, so for dock use it’s better to use a separate USB-C port.

They have also said there may also be a voltage drop meaning there can be issues.

1 Like

Yes, the cable creation extension

@Josh_Cook, so we re saying we should avoid this particular extender, right? Anyone know of an extender that would fit the size we need? I have been looking around and they all seem to be too short, or they are a long cable.

I order the mag safe adapter (Amazon.com) after that arrive I am going to see if I can fit something else between and (hopefully) make the changes to the stl so that I can print new housing.

Gotcha, thanks @Moe_Wigs . I’ll look for one of those. Are you printing the housing for the expansion card slot for that?

That’s so awesome and looks great @Moe_Wigs! Thanks for the upload, I’ll check it. I also just order the board as well :smile:

just ordered. cant wait to try it out when they arrive in a month

@Moe_Wigs
which case design do you recommend? i could print ahead of time while i wait for the usb adapter

1 Like

@Moe_Wigs
ok cool ill give the 2nd redesign a shot first and see how that goes. estimated arrival for the board is june 14 so i got some time to mess around with prints

Looks awesome! Now I am super excited for mine to arrive :slight_smile:
I went with some PTEG for the print, but it came out a bit stringy, might give it a shot with PLA as well, or just tweak some settings.

At the start of this discussion there is a link to “Magnetic USB-C Cables are not recommended”
I noticed in a thread that the motherboard has “ESD protection diodes” fitted to protect from static electricity damage to the board, am I correct in assuming that the warning about using a magnetic coupler is negated by the diodes?

Unless there are specifically protection measures on the USB-c ports on the motherboard - I wouldn’t rely on it. @Kieran_Levin said that the protection diode was on a battery connector signal. Perhaps there’s room for a magnetic charging card similar to what people are building with appropriate protection circuitry built into the expansion card?

4 Likes

Thanks for the clarity I suppose this is a question for framework support. :grin:

No, not really. Every good USB device has protection diodes, but they can only do so much. There are also different kinds of protection diodes, the power lines have relatively beefy ones, as they’re the connections which you can touch or which are inserted first on a normal USB connector

The data lines, especially the USB-3.0 super speed lines only have very flimsy protection diodes, as using the bigger ones degrades the signal too much. Which is the reason the high speed connections are very far inside the standard USB connectors where you normally can’t touch them.

If I were to design such a magnetic card, the prototypes by @Moe_Wigs look great, but I’d use a custom PCB instead where the super speed lines simply wouldn’t be connected. And then I’d probably add some more high quality protection diodes, just to be safe.

Would still likely violate the USB specs, though, but at least I’d feel much safer.

3 Likes