Full Power Magnetic Charging Card

Thanks Jonathan_Haas for the clear and concise explanation, I definitely will not be using a magnetic coupler now that I fully understand the risk.

Then you could only charge the laptop and would have no data transfer. I think you’d need to keep the CC lines connected for power delivery to work.

1 Like

The protection diodes should probably go between VCC and GND (so they short-circuit excess voltage).

1 Like

@Jonathan_Haas

Yes, I’ve updated the diagram.

1 Like

got my usb part in and printed the case last night. i went with the redesign 2. i had to cut off the over hang at the opening cause the usb was just a little too long. and i did have to cut the shoulders off the usb so it would fit. the original redesign would prob be the perfect one for me to print which i may try later in the week. but overall i think it came out great!

9 Likes

@John_R_Conti

That’s great to hear. Glad it worked out for you.

@John_R_Conti I think I might have run into the same issue as you. My board just arrived and looks like the build is slightly different from @Moe_Wigs. I am going to attempt to shorten up the side that would connect to the framework to see if there is a better fit.

1 Like

Anything specific I should do? I was just going to snip them off with a small needlenose

Are the shoulders functional in that they hold the port in any way. If so couldn’t the card be amended to allow them to indent the housing?

@Moe_Wigs Do you what printing settings I should use when printing the ExpansionCard mag charge second redesign?

@Ramon_Gonzalez i just cut mine off not thinking of any consequences. no problems so far

@Nathan3 every printer is different. you need to do what works best for you. but i changed my nozzle to .2 and did a layer height of .12 for extra detail. infill 5%. speed 60. supports everywhere

@Nathan3

I had mine printed by an online print service, because I wanted a nylon print.

1 Like

@Moe_Wigs have you or anyone else checked the Ali Express extention for data transfer speed and integrity? Interested in using this for a dock, but I want to know before I go down this rabbit hole. Seems like the magnetic connectors transfer data just fine

This is really great. Taking this concept for the Wheelchair PC I’m working on.

Bit of a double post :blush:

This one appears shorter so maybe no protrution, but it’s 6mm thick.

I wonder if the outer case can come off ??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cellularize-Extender-Gunmetal-Extension-Transfer/dp/B09F9X7M7C

Item dimensions L x W x H (11 x 6 x 22) millimetres

I’d be more than happy to buy a heap of the parts and sell them off assembled. @Moe_Wigs Are you alright with me using these files for my own profit?

2 Likes

Alright.
Won’t continue with that then.

2 Likes

An awkward situation.

• Providing something with restrictions is awkward, not that it is a ‘bad’ thing. I also don’t like the idea of profit; but profit comes in different forms: feeling good in ‘spirit’ is also a gain. When someone takes what is offered, as in charity it is often the giver that gets most reward.

• That this ‘module’ could be available could be convenient for some and not to be able to ‘sell’ one to another seems a bit sad.

• Maybe an arrangement could be that Josh doesn’t make a lot of profit and/or donates to some cause that supports the spirit Moe wants to furnish.

I’d like a magnetic expansion card but based on a different magnetic adapter as I have just bought ten, some for backups and gifts. Won’t be selling any :slight_smile:

1 Like

The only reason I want some amount of profit is my time, and packaging. And anyway the three parts are around 20USD plus the print and time is around 2-3USD and if I sell for 28 it is around 5 dollars profit. Generally, if you post the files and info about how to make the unit it’s open-source meaning that I can use the files how I like whether that be for commercial use or personal use. FYI to anyone making expansion cards, please give information on how it is licensed.

3 Likes

cclicence

cc licence