Full size SD Card Reader Prototype

I don’t think even UHS-II (2) SD cards would require anything beyond USB 3.0 or maybe 3.1 or 3.2? Now if you were talking CFExpress, there are requirements for TB3/TB4.

I wonder if chopping the cable off this and putting the male USB-C connector directly on the board (depending how thick the controller is under the SD slot) would allow a fairly straightforward conversion?

I don’t know. But Dell 9360/9350 actually have a PCIe SD card reader with … yeah. not unworldy speeds (something like 500MB/s)
Check this from NotebookCheck.net
It will, however, allow some niche like SD card boot (since it’s not interfaced with any USB anyway)

1 Like

Hi, just wondering if there are any updates on this or what the roadmap looks like. I’m 100% okay with waiting however long it takes, I’m just curious to know how it’s going.

I can help if needed or just complete it on my own.

Hi All, sorry for late update, i’m building this in my free time and i had to sort out some personal things, nevertheless here’s an update:

1. You can find the schematic on the link below:
    https://github.com/zero0d/FrameworkExpansionCards/tree/main/SD_CardReader_VUB300

→ for firs prototype i decided to go with VUB300 because it don’t require any custom FW development like the Cypress CYUSB3025-BZXI.
→ the down side is the VUB300 is only per SDIO spec 2.0 and USB2, while the CYUSB3025-BZXI is SDIO spec 3.0 and USB3 ( i need to figure out how to modify sample of the FW for CYUSB3025-BZXI in order to get this working)

1. there is the problem with the connectors, because i found only few company that produce them ( need these connectors in order to fit to the expansion card size), the connectors have a MOQ of 3000pcs, at the end the company agreed to provide 3pcs sample but the shipping to me it will cost 100$ + Import duties + tax.

→ i would like to measure them in real, i found something similar in ebay and waiting to arrive.
→ or i need to find some one in china to get the samples to their address, and then post me via standard mail.

@Xavier_Jiang
as Josh_cook sad you need a TB controller to get the PCIe lanes.
We could use TB3 IC that is cheaper, consumes less and is smaller than TB4 IC, because TB4 comes only in DUAL/QUAD config while the TB3 is also in SINGLE config
Thunderbolt™ 3 Controllers Product Specifications (intel.com)
Like JHL6240 ( the question is how to get the documentation to design it in)

Other thing is does it have to support standard Sd cads( then probably we need additional PCIe->SDIO bridge) or only PCIe sd cards like SD_HC_I_Express? ( i have to look in to that how that actually works)

@Josh_Cook
if you like you can review the schematic :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do you understand the USB spec? You need a 4.7k ohm resistor on CC1

UFP needs 5.1k pull down resistor on booth CC pins to get recognized

Please can you point out where and why 4.7k is used?

Alright you win, but it only requires one 5.1k if you are using USB 2 and as a plug not a receptacle.

And they are still missing.

Hi Josh, i’m not here to compete, i would like rather work together.

If i got it right my expansion card is a UFP device, so it has to present 5.1k on CC ( i can only use A5 pin - because the expansion card can’t be rotated) pin in order that the DFP or DRP device ( in this case framework laptop) supplies 5V to UFP per Type-C spec. And i have to ensure that i don’t draw more current than 0.5A because i’m an USB2.0 device and default is 500mA. If i’m an UFP it doesn’t matter if i use plug or receptacle connector.

Please can you tell what i’m missing , and where i’m missing the 4.7k ?

1 Like

You just need a 5.1k ohm resistor on A5.

Exactly.

To be fair, even the TB3 SINGLE IC is very expensive ($150) as the Intel evaluation board and other cheap Thunderbolt to PCIe bridge shows. It is also a very large footprint and you wont fit it inside a expansion unit. Unless you opt for things like 6-layer PCB (which will furthermore drive up the cost)

That would be a good question to ask.
Personally I don’t own any SDIO equipment, but I know there are things like SD-card sized WLAN card and some more exotic ones like SD card-to-SATA adapters. Which uses SDIO and probably wont work without said fancy PCIe SD chip.
I think a single physical chip will be able to handle both. Some Realtek stuff …

But really. I think that if you actually own any SDIO equipment, you won’t be choosing Framework for such limited legacy support and is probably still rocking a 5th or 6th gen Intel.

A bit unrelated, but as a temporary workaround I have put together my own DIY SD card reader that fits in the expansion card bay.

2 Likes

I cannot find this on Amazon anymore, but I did find something on NewEgg: Monoprice USB Type-C to SD 4.0 Card Reader - Newegg.com. I am not sure if this is exactly the same, but I am thinking about ordering this and seeing if I can fit it in to the housing from the .stl in this thread.

@Ramon_Gonzalez

Yes, it’s the same one I used. It was very difficult getting it out of the original housing and then you have to grind both sides flush with the edges of the metal holder.

5 Likes

Hi @Moe_Wigs ! Thanks for all the info on the mag charger thread! As for this one, thanks. I am going to give it a shot. Do you happen to have the stl or a link for this one? I was thinking about just modifying the one that was used for the charger.

@Ramon_Gonzalez

Sure.
However, I’m not sure how well it will print. I use a print service and although the prints look quite rough textured, they are quite smooth, but the prints are similar to injection moulding, they can replicate very fine detail. The card slides into the housing firmly. I originally had the lid slide on fully, but removed some of the slide rail so as not to foul on some of the components at the front of the board.

SD Reader Housing.stl (441.1 KB)

4 Likes

No updates to makes this a reality for everyone in the framework store?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This idea is a private one not a Framework option, so it isn’t a Framework store idea.

Does anyone know of any alternatives, I have been trying to get on into Australia but doesn’t look like there is none in stock or deliverable via amazon.