Full size SD Card Reader Prototype

UFP needs 5.1k pull down resistor on booth CC pins to get recognized

Please can you point out where and why 4.7k is used?

Alright you win, but it only requires one 5.1k if you are using USB 2 and as a plug not a receptacle.

And they are still missing.

Hi Josh, i’m not here to compete, i would like rather work together.

If i got it right my expansion card is a UFP device, so it has to present 5.1k on CC ( i can only use A5 pin - because the expansion card can’t be rotated) pin in order that the DFP or DRP device ( in this case framework laptop) supplies 5V to UFP per Type-C spec. And i have to ensure that i don’t draw more current than 0.5A because i’m an USB2.0 device and default is 500mA. If i’m an UFP it doesn’t matter if i use plug or receptacle connector.

Please can you tell what i’m missing , and where i’m missing the 4.7k ?

1 Like

You just need a 5.1k ohm resistor on A5.

Exactly.

To be fair, even the TB3 SINGLE IC is very expensive ($150) as the Intel evaluation board and other cheap Thunderbolt to PCIe bridge shows. It is also a very large footprint and you wont fit it inside a expansion unit. Unless you opt for things like 6-layer PCB (which will furthermore drive up the cost)

That would be a good question to ask.
Personally I don’t own any SDIO equipment, but I know there are things like SD-card sized WLAN card and some more exotic ones like SD card-to-SATA adapters. Which uses SDIO and probably wont work without said fancy PCIe SD chip.
I think a single physical chip will be able to handle both. Some Realtek stuff …

But really. I think that if you actually own any SDIO equipment, you won’t be choosing Framework for such limited legacy support and is probably still rocking a 5th or 6th gen Intel.

A bit unrelated, but as a temporary workaround I have put together my own DIY SD card reader that fits in the expansion card bay.

2 Likes

I cannot find this on Amazon anymore, but I did find something on NewEgg: Monoprice USB Type-C to SD 4.0 Card Reader - Newegg.com. I am not sure if this is exactly the same, but I am thinking about ordering this and seeing if I can fit it in to the housing from the .stl in this thread.

@Ramon_Gonzalez

Yes, it’s the same one I used. It was very difficult getting it out of the original housing and then you have to grind both sides flush with the edges of the metal holder.

5 Likes

Hi @Moe_Wigs ! Thanks for all the info on the mag charger thread! As for this one, thanks. I am going to give it a shot. Do you happen to have the stl or a link for this one? I was thinking about just modifying the one that was used for the charger.

@Ramon_Gonzalez

Sure.
However, I’m not sure how well it will print. I use a print service and although the prints look quite rough textured, they are quite smooth, but the prints are similar to injection moulding, they can replicate very fine detail. The card slides into the housing firmly. I originally had the lid slide on fully, but removed some of the slide rail so as not to foul on some of the components at the front of the board.

SD Reader Housing.stl (441.1 KB)

4 Likes

No updates to makes this a reality for everyone in the framework store?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This idea is a private one not a Framework option, so it isn’t a Framework store idea.

Does anyone know of any alternatives, I have been trying to get on into Australia but doesn’t look like there is none in stock or deliverable via amazon.