I would be inclined to say Qubes doesn’t work well on the Framework 12, myself. It’s a nice idea for a secure operating system, but I should think it is most unlikely it gets the testing that Fedora or Ubuntu.
I seem to recall Qubes uses containers/jails for each app, and containers should be really lightweight, so I would expect it to work in theory. However you might spend more of your time debugging this than using it. Go for it if you like tinkering, but otherwise just use a more robust OS.
Well, yes - it puts a security boundary around everything, a bit like Docker or Firecracker. The idea is that a security problem in one app does not spread to another. Then rules are added to poke acceptable holes in these layers, so a text editor can see the Documents folder, etc.
So a lazy bug in your ancient music player gives root access to the music player operation and your music folder, and not the browser you use for your online banking.
But that complexity is going to add teething problems. If you are not getting it to work, consider using QEMU instead with full-fat desktops in each. It might be a bit sluggish on FW 12, but I’d be surprised if performance is completely unacceptable. If you have a decent amount of RAM, you could run two or three at the same time.
IIRC it goes well beyond that; it spins up full on VMs for everything. As such I believe things like hardware accelerated desktops aren’t available without pci pass through because I don’t think they support Venus or DRM native context yet, which could definitely make user experience feel slow since it’s all software rendering.
But since OP says it’s fine until reboot, probably something else is going on.
Oh yeah I agree totally it probably is not a hardware issue, just that it is already fighting an uphill battle compared to other systems.
If it changes upon reboot then something gets initialized on reboot that is changing the feel. The resultant issue could be buried deep in the kernel, a driver, some subcomponent, who knows. Get some waders on because something is lurking in the weeds!