FW16 Batch 1 Guild

Still waiting. Clear ANSI RGB keyboard and macropad. Hopefully it ships this week. Three days to go.

I have carbon fiber sheets arriving today or tomorrow to sandwich the machine in the computer bag. Yes, I’m insane, am overthinking things, any number of things. But, I tend to overstuff the bag, and the carbon fiber sandwich gives me some peace of mind.

Fingers crossed that I will be buying virtual drinks for other batch 1 people who have not yet received their machines. We’ll see. Have a great day, all!

1 Like

Curious, what is this?

1 Like

Good point. It seems too much needed still to be done when pre-orders started. Weakest link and all.

1 Like

I wish they took an Apple approach to the release and announced preorders a few weeks ahead of the first shipments going out. That would have given them time to finalize things before committing to a ship date. That’s one of Apple’s biggest strengths: They generate more hype and better experiences by shipping devices almost immediately after announcing their (feature complete) product.

1 Like

When I ordered my server motherboard, I waited 14 months … So I have to say, netter here.
Waiting for the Linux International - Linux keyboard myself :slight_smile:

I can’t take credit for the idea, I saw it posted either here or on the framework subreddit (?). I bought two of these to protect my framework 13" (200x300x2): 200X300 100% 3K Carbon Fiber Sheet Laminate Plate Panel 0.5-4MM Thickness | eBay

Then for the 16" I bought two custom 270x360x2 sheets. Those should be arriving today or tomorrow.

That’s what I had expected at the time - I thought they wouldn’t open the preorders at least before making it through the deep dives - which is why I was caught off guard when they opened them. Only saw them opening a few hours later which landed me in batch 5.

I agree, they should’ve waited at least till Q4 to open the preorders. Not sure if they needed the preorder deposits for their balance, but I hope they aren’t in that bad of a spot.

Well, it’s too late now for the FL16. Maybe we’ll be able to convince them to change their strategy for the next big releases.

3 Likes

Today the Framework finally arrived. One day earlier then the tracking expected.
Making it open en installing the ram en ssd was easy. Booted in about 1 minute with 32GB of DDR5 5600mhz ram.

Now preparing Windows 10 usb stick setup Windows.

2 Likes

Hey there @King_Horse , a small reminder that others have said that they had issues with using Win10. If possible, please use Win11.

1 Like

Got charges this morning and received the email that it has been shipped today. It’s even left the country already and is scheduled to arrive on friday - fingers crossed. Int Eng (win) keyboard.

So they are making progress and I’m excited to see it being on it’s way. Timing is somewhat unfortunate, as I’ve got to leave on a week long business trip on Sunday, and my family will expect me to make up for that before I go, so I doubt I’ll have time to play with it soon.

And for those being grumpy about it not shipping as was previously estimated (Q4 23) - this is not Apple. Apple knows it will sell millions of units, so can prepare a launch and have devices ready across the globe. Framework is selling a unique product, and needs to find out how much of a market there is for it. They can’t take huge risks, and I for one am happy that they show us how the development path is: a bumpy one where they thy to iron out as many kinks before they ship. Their open business model is what I love and why I am prepared to pay a premium.

15 Likes

I’m quite pleased so far. It handily outpace my 12th gen FW13, and it was a drop-in replacement to my work desk setup (after some very minor rearranging). I’m glad I stuck to my guns and got this instead of a ThinkPad P16.

I’m a bit baffled by color management because apparently I’m calibrating everything to a gamma of about 1.6? But it matches the LG screen next to it (which also measures the same gamma), so I have no doubt that this is a me problem rather than something with the FW16.

2 Likes

@lbkNhubert Why carbon fibre? Why not Kevlar and make it bullet proof too! :smile:

1 Like

That was my silly oversight. Maybe for the next batch I will get that, or I could go with depleted uranium. Decisions, decisions…

3 Likes

Just got charged, Linux keyboard! :tada:

12 Likes

I’ve just been charged. Well, sort of. As I paid the deposit with a locally available payment method (iDeal), I had to manually pay the rest. Hopefully the shipping will be swift.

This was Batch 1 with the International English - Linux keyboard, so I guess the Linux keyboards are finally available.

11 Likes

pending charge as well for the clear board and macro pad

4 Likes

I was just charged for the remaining balance of my Linux keyboard FL16. I had to endure a brief detour with my bank as they (as expected) declined the initial purchase due to some internal verification timeout. The second try went through. Good luck everyone!

15 Likes

I was also charged with the Linux keyboard.

Dawn of the Third Day ftw.

8 Likes

Just checked and I see a pending charge, and my FW account shows no balance due. Clear RGB ANSI keyboard and macropad. It will be soon…hopefully the contents of the package meet a better end than Mr. Jeffers.

5 Likes

Woohoo! I was finally charged! I don’t believe it. Sweet 16 here I come!

8 Likes