• DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
What CPU/GPU are you getting?
  • Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
  • Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
  • Ryzen™ 7 7840HS + Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • Ryzen™ 9 7940HS + Radeon™ RX 7700S

0 voters

1 Like

No 2280 storage in your setup? So it’s not required as a primary device?

From Framework FAQ on FW16 configuration page.

3 Likes

Ok thanks! :slight_smile: Good to know.
Curious : but why a 2230 and not a 2280? It seems slower and more expensive?

It was $240AUD and I plan on adding a 2280 SSD down the line.

1 Like

My setup will be :

• Ryzen 7840HS
  • 2x16Go
  • Reusing the SN850X M.2 2280 - 2TB I have in my 13"
  • Radeon™ RX 7700S + Shell
  • Standard FR keyboard
  • Numpad Module
  • Orange Bezel
  • 180W AU Power Adapter

Cards :

• 2 USB-A
  • 1 Audio
  • 2 USB-C
  • 1 HDMI

My configuration was:

Configuration

• System: Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
  • Memory: DDR5-5600 - 64GB (2 x 32GB)
  • Storage: 1TB - Western Digital SN740 NVMe™ - M.2 2230
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro (Download)
  • Storage: WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 1TB

Expansion Bay System

• Expansion Bay Module: Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)
  • Expansion Bay: Expansion Bay Shell

Customization

• Numpad: Numpad Module
  • Power Adapter Region: US / CA
  • Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Black
  • Keyboard: US English

Expansion Cards

• Audio
  • Storage – 1TB
  • 2 x USB-A
  • 2 x USB-C – USB-C Expansion Card

I am looking to potentially replace my desktop. There is still a delta between the two, but the Framework 16 is even more repairable and capable for quick reconfiguration changes than my desktop. I am very excited about getting it.

Upgrading from a FW13 11th gen:

Configuration

• Memory: DDR5-5600 - 32GB (2 x 16GB)
  • Storage: 2TB - Western Digital SN740 NVMe™ - M.2 2230
  • Operating System: None

Expansion Bay System

Customization

• Numpad: RGB Macropad Module
  • Power Adapter Region: UK / IE / HK / SG
  • Keyboard: RGB Clear ANSI

Expansion Cards

• Audio
  • Displayport (2nd gen)
  • HDMI (3rd gen)
1 Like

Coming from a very temperamental MSI laptop (Never getting that brand again, never received a single update, but it was all I could get during lockdown)

• Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
  • 2x16GB from FW (Don’t want to risk memory incompatibilities)
  • WD SN850X 2TB (bought separately, giving it a thorough test in my current PC)
  • Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • Linux US layout
  • Numpad Module
  • Black Bezel (Really would want red or green…)
  • 180W UK psu

Can’t remember the expansion cards, but probably DP/HDMI/USB-C/USB-A

Plan to run Linux on it, and use it as my daily driver for the next few years. Hopefully It’s solid and last me half a decade+.

Given the Framework 16 appears to have legs and will have some future, I’m looking to this as my desktop and laptop replacement. While the GPU will be a downgrade from my desktop, having an upgrade future is something that’s exciting.

My Framework 16:

• Ryzen 7 7840HS (I don’t really find the extra CPU clocks appealing on the 7940)
  • WD Black SN770 2TB
  • 32GB DDR5-5600
  • AMD Radeon RX 7700S Graphics Module
  • International Linux Keyboard
  • Numpad
  • US/CA Power Adapter
  • Pair of silver and black spacers (I couldn’t decide)

Expansion Cards:

• x2 USB-C
  • x1 3.5mm Audio
  • x2 USB-A
  • x1 HDMI
  • x1 DisplayPort

All of the parts ordered through Framework since I want to see this product and company succeed, so I’m OK paying out through the nose. Going to be using this for some solo developer work and to allow my desktop to retire to be a home server.

1 Like

My configuration:

Configuration

• Memory: Crucial DDR5-5600 - 32GB (2 x 16GB)
  • Storage: 1TB - Western Digital SN770 NVMe™ - M.2 2230
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro (
  • Storage: WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 4TB

Expansion Bay System

Customization

• Numpad: Numpad Module

My config:

Ryzen™ 9 7940HS - Radeon™ RX 7700S - 180W

Configuration

• Memory: DDR5-5600 - 64GB (2 x 32GB)

Expansion Bay System

Customization

• Keyboard: RGB US English
  • Spacer: Orange
  • Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Orange
  • Spacer: Orange

Expansion Cards

• HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • Ethernet
  • 2 x USB-A
  • 4 x USB-C – USB-C Expansion Card
  • 2 x DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
  • MicroSD

Here’s what I’m up for:

Ryzen™ 7 7840HS - Radeon™ RX 7700S - 180W

Configuration

• System: Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Pro (Download)
  • Memory: DDR5-5600 - 16GB (1 x 16GB)

Expansion Bay System

Customization

• Spacer: 2x Black

Expansion Cards

• 1x Ethernet
  • 2x USB-A
  • 1x Storage – 1TB
  • 1x HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • 2 x USB-C
  • 1x DisplayPort (2nd Gen)

Accessories

• Extra Medium Input Module: Numpad Module

I’m planning on using Ubuntu as my daily driver on the internal SSD, Windows on the storage module in case I need it for work. Probably going to add a MicroSD expansion card at some point, too. If somebody gets a DE-9 serial port in an expansion card, I’m buying two of them!

I’m trying to avoid a long list of specs; I feel all the posts are so similar.
I’m batch 1, I saw the email the instant they sent it. And I was able to submit my order right as the servers were fixed from the payment processing bug.

I’m really excited and anxious, I’m constantly watching my email. I feel like I can relax a little more now that we just got an update email at least. But hoped to have the laptop sooner.

Mine was the maxed-out specs with dGPU, except I bought essentially the same memory and hard drive elsewhere. I bought a variety of input modules and adaptors to play with. Numpad and RGB Macro Pad, LED+ColorShift+Black spacers. I’m a little bummed that the numpad isn’t RGB, oh well.

I’m an American living in Germany, so my order is a little weird. EU power and RGB English keyboard. But it turns out to be a good thing, because my German friends don’t have RGB yet.

I really want to move to full-time Linux, with BTRFS. For the benefits that I don’t need to worry about partition sizing, and I’ll have snapshots. I’m reading that the raid stability is better now. And I’m very interested in running Windows in a VM with dGPU pass-through for gaming. Linux running on the other for battery life. I might not be able to do that right at the start because of it being new hardware but we will see.

4 Likes

While I’m not batch 12, I’m anxiously awaiting Batch 1 starting to get into peoples hands, which means mine will get to me (eventually).

I’m going straight up to 2x48GB of RAM. Which by then I’m sure will be consumer confirmed working/not working. Although preliminarily it sounds like it’s working just fine.

My work VMs are RAM hungry!

So I run ZFS myself on Linux, not sure about BTRFS personally, although I know it’s gotten a lot more stable for non RAID-5/6 setups.

Also for gaming, I’ve switched on my desktop to Linux (Debian 12.2, KDE) full time, and Steam Proton is working amazing. Played Starfield a couple of weeks after release (I was away for launch), and mostly really good. I haven’t tried to configure it to play non-Steam games, although I know you can, so that’s worth a look for avoiding Windows VM with dGPU pass-through.

3 Likes

I’ve been using BTRFS with 2 block devices all the time in RAID1, with transitions in between from HDD to SSD ( easy to do thanks to BTRFS commands ) since then, I’ve never lost any data due to corruption and when data is corrupted on 1 partition,it gets recovered an repaired seamlessly while still reading the data ( you’ll see some kernel logs about this ). Since then I’ve refused to buy any laptop without 2 or more slots.

I’m hoping framework in the future will do a 2 slot framework 13

My Framework 16 Configuration is

Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
2TB - Western Digital SN740 NVMe™ - M.2 2230
DDR5-5600 - 32GB (2 x 16GB)

Expansion Bay System

Expansion Bay Shell

Customisation

Laptop Bezel Black
Numpad Module
Framework 180w Power Adapter

Expansion Cards

MicroSD
Audio
2 x USB-C Expansion Card
DisplayPort (2nd Gen)

I’ll be buying the 2TB SN850X from another source as the price is lower

1 Like

Seconding what Aaron_Baff said, Proton has been so good that I don’t even have that “Well I won’t be able to play that for a few months…”. That being said I was a linux user before I started PC gaming, so it went from like 5% good to 98% good for me. That 2% might hurt coming from full compatibility though.

I went a little insane, tldr is I maxed out.

Configuration
System: Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
Storage: 2TB - Western Digital SN740 NVMe™ - M.2 2230
Storage: WD_BLACK™ SN770 NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 2TB
Memory: DDR5-5600 - 64GB (2 x 32GB)
Expansion Bay Module: Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)
Expansion Bay: Expansion Bay Shell
LED Matrix: LED Matrix x2
Power Adapter Region: US / CA
Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Lavender
2 x Storage – 1TB
3 x USB-C – USB-C Expansion Card
Ethernet
USB-A
DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
RGB Macropad Module
Keyboard: RGB US English

Plan is:

• NixOS
  • mirror the internal NVME drives (ZFS,encrypted)
  • use one of the attached storage modules for local snapshots of critical data volumes.
  • use the second storage module for a windows VM storage
  • enable d-GPU passthrough for the windows VM

I understand I’ve gone insane, but I’m trying to enjoy my expensive excitement.

2 Likes

Hello, fellow batch 1 crew!

I went with the Ryzen 7840 and Radeon 7700S modules. I skipped the SSD and RAM SODIMMs because I have a 2TB SK Hynix P41 Platinum that I bought just for the occasion, and DDR5 is surprisingly cheap (and prices are still falling) in my neck of the woods, so I’ll grab some when they start shipping. Also, I got a numpad, which I daresay is the most important configuration option available here. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m planning to use my FW16 for VR, among other things. At first I was a silly goose and ordered a DisplayPort expansion card, thinking I could plug that into the sides of the laptop and run my Valve Index that way. Then I did some digging and found out you can’t run a VR headset through an iGPU; it has to have a direct connection to the card. But then I had a lightbulb moment, because the 7700S module has a USB-c port with DP-alt mode, and the expansion cards are basically just USB-c to Displayport adapters, which means I should be able to plug that adapter into the back and run a Valve Index that way! So I emailed support about my hunch and asked if it was correct… aanndd they said they haven’t tested and can’t tell me. Phooey.

So, unless someone here knows a reason why that wouldn’t work, I guess I’ll be the guinea pig and let you guys know! It might not run flawlessly, since I understand the 7700S is more of a mid-tier card and may not quite have the horsepower. But it should work… right??

2 Likes

Personally I didn’t see the interest in getting a 7940HS (2% perf difference for +200 CAD) so I took the 7840HS.
For RAM I got 64 GB (2x32GB) DDR5-5600 (G.Skill Ripjaws) that I got for a steal (120$ CAD)
For storage I have 1x Micron 2400 1TB 2230 NVMe + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus (arround 300 CAD for both after taxes)
I got the 7700S, was disappointed about not having an Nvidia option as I do alot of CUDA workloads but I’ll just try ROCm or wait for an Nvidia card to release. I originally wanted to have both expansion bay modules, changed my mind and contacted support to remove it, and then changed my mind again and recontacted them to add it back.

For customization, I got:
2x LED Matrix Spacers
RGB US English KB
US / CA Power adapter
Black Bezel

Expansion cards:
Ethernet
2 x USB-A
2 x USB-C
HDMI
Audio
DisplayPort

Grand total for me including other accessories like a transport bag (and probably a dbrand skin when they release) is very likely going in the neighborhood of 4000$ CAD, which is more than half the price of my desktop for less than half the overall performance. Youch.

Expensive, but worth it over my MSI that kept overheating non-stop and underperforming after 8 months of use. Looking foward to push that laptop to the limits.

2 Likes