FW16 Batch 10 Guild

Just assembled mine today. It absolutely refuses to boot from a bootable USB stick, so I had to fall back on a USB DVD drive.
The touchpad is warped, so it’s not flush with the casing; I can’t close the lid now.
I have put in a service request; i will just have to wait for a reaction.

Apart from these inconveniences: it’s nice!

From bad to good to terrible! :frowning:

After getting both SSDs working well and apparently reliably, I’d left my laptop copying 1.2TB of files from an external drive but when I came back, well after when the file copying should have finished, there was a black screen showed an error message saying “Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Insert Recovery Media and Hit any Key Then Select ‘Boor Manager’ to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media.” Inserting the thumb drive I used to install Windows, then selecting Repair Windows, Startup Repair, then Advanced Options, said that it can’t repair, and ultimately just shut down. I hadn’t got round to creating a fresh recovery drive, as I’d been planning to do that after Lightroom had been installed. I had installed Firefox, Chrome, Adobe Reader, Office and a few small programs.

I removed and re-installed the 2 SSD’s, but it made no difference. In BIOS it can only see the installation thumb drive.

I’ve obviously lodged this as a problem with support, but any user advice would be welcome!

Received the laptop a week ago, setup/assembly had no issues, 2 x 16GB Corsair memory only took about 30s to train on first boot. 1TB SN850X for the boot drive and 1TB SN770m for a data drive. noticed the data drive was missing after system resume, but upgrading the BIOS to 3.03 seems to have fixed that!

Its my first not budget laptop so dont really have a benchmark to compare against, but really impressed so far, had to turn the saturation down on the camera in the system settings as the default made me look like I’d run a marathon! but other than that all good so far.

My only (extremely) minor wish so far is that the Numpad Num lock key had an indicator like the caps lock does, but I can work around that!

2 Likes

Well after some emails back and forward to Support and accessing the SSDs and BIOS multiple times, it seems that the 2TB has probably died after about 3 days use! I was able to return it to my local retailer for a full refund as they were out of stock. Other local retailers were charging A$50 to A$75 more for it than I originally paid, so I’ve have just ordered a replacement from Amazon US for A$70 less than I originally paid. It’s due to arrive by May 17. I could have ordered from Amazon UK and saved A$195, but delivery wouldn’t have been until mid July. It’ll be hard enough looking at the new laptop and not being able to use it for 2 weeks, so not waiting an extra 2 months is worth the additional cost.
Will I have hassles with Microsoft installing and using the same Windows key on the new SSD?

No, you can change a few parts until windows rejects the activation, but you can always call the activation Hotline and they reactivate it even if you change the motherboard, which will likely trigger it.

1 Like