FW16 Batch 13 Guild

Windows 11 here, because I use software not available for Linux and I don’t like to fiddle with emulation. I’ll install a Linux dual boot, when I got a second SSD. Maybe Mint or Zorin OS, but I will try some live systems from my Ventoy USB stick.

I’ve written a list in the software debate thread:

1 Like

I plan to use NixOS coming from arch. But I have zero experience with nix and didn’t really have the time to get to know it so far.
So I may be running some other Linux distro to start with and then later switch to nix.
But I as well may be running nix from day one. Probably depending on my mood and how fast I want to get started gaming again.
My main gaming machine died around middle of last year, right when I was at the end of the first chapter of Baldurs Gate 3 (damnit).

Windows because I need software only on there. I am going to multi boot with other Linux as well. Wi was thinking QubeOS, but I keep hearing about NixOS so I may try that and some others.

I would only recommend it if you have high data protection and security requirements. It is a very extensive and complicated system.

Interestingly, I haven’t missed a single program since I stopped using windows. :sweat_smile: I wish i could use linux at work too :frowning:

1 Like

I need windows for SOLIDWORKS CAD software. I am mostly going to play around in QubeOS to learn it. My main Linux will probably be Ubuntu unless there is better options.

One batch left

@Tealk as far as I know, the software to control my telescope mount (ascom) is only available for windows, I don’t know if there are alternatives. But this is finicky enough on windows, sometimes it works, sometimes not. To be honest, I really don’t want to mess with stuff like that on Linux :crazy_face:

1 Like

I have to say that I no longer have such problems on linux, that something works once and then doesn’t work again, I think it only exists on Windows xD

On man we’re getting close! Batch 12 just got their prep emails and there’s been a charge on a Batch 11. So by Friday (or more likely next Monday) we’ll get our batch shipping email and in another week our cards charged. So we’re looking at about 2.5-3 weeks for about half of us having our FW16 laptops.

1 Like

stop it i’m already really excited xD

21 days ago I was worn out on the hype train. And like I said we’re getting closer and I’m getting excited again!

It’s more or less something like “which program do I have to start first, so the other can connect to the com port while the third controls the mount” type of problem. And then I have to start one program, then the other, then start the emulator, then start the third program, then connect the second to the first and the third suddenly doesn’t want to communicate at all.

Short: It’s a mess and it’s not necessarily windows at fault.

But IF I get everything to work, I should be able to track more than the sun, the moon, the planets and stars, but also the ISS, Satellites or Asteroids, while conveniently choosing what to track in Stellarium and control everything from the notebook, no need to touch the hand controller of the mount after the initial startup.

1 Like

Oh yeah, the Hype is on again! I should charge my prepaid credit card soon, normally takes 1-2 business days and I definitely don’t want to be short when they try to get the moneyzz :smiley:

1 Like

Not that it means: no money no framework

Nono, don’t even want to think about that.

Definitely going to have to transfer some money between accounts here soon.

Me too, I have most of it in an account where I get more interest

I think if you need to control a telescope, you can do it from Linux running your Windows program through Wine.
Stars should not move so fast…

As I said, it’s already a mess on windows, I don’t believe, that adding a layer of virtualization and emulation helps in this case.

And I already got my license for win 11, so that would be wasted. :wink:

Maybe I’ll play around with that stuff on Linux, when I got the 2230 SSD, but it has to work on windows first.

Honestly I don’t blame you for sticking with what works. I know I’m going to give Linux a try again when I get my FW16, but if I’m unable to play certain games or I can’t get my card reader working I’ll switch back over to Windows. I’ve heard gaming on Linux has gotten a lot better but sometimes you just want stuff to work.

2 Likes

Steam has contributed a lot to this, thanks to their console