FW16 Batch 16 Guild

Likewise! but they’re the sort of positive things where it’s like “once you’ve spent three weeks completely rewiring your brain to view existence in a new paradigm, it’s great!” :joy:

1 Like

I am with good old Debian 12 (works great on my Framework 13 AMD) and hope it’ll do a good job with the 16 as well. I like my work horse (and I am running Gnome as my desktop environment).

I can’t wait, my main machine runs multiple VMs including my main Win10 that I game on. It will nice to have a machine I can game on bare-metal.

With the latest news regarding emails and cards charged, we continue the trend
We may expect heads-up-emails on the 14th of May, cards charged on the 21st and the very first delivery on the 28th.
Getting really excited over here :sweat_smile:

@Mark_Balliet What OS will you use on your 16? Sounds like maybe windows?

2 Likes

I’ll probably set it up for dual-boot, I’d like to have a bare metal Windows OS for gaming on, as the laptop should be great for that, but I’d also like to be able to migrate some of my VMs over from my desktop, so probably Ubuntu or Proxmox as the second OS.

Ideally I’m shooting for something like Minority Report where you just take an app/OS and slide it over to a new device, and take it with you. I know it won’t be that smooth, but that’s the vision.

1 Like

Yes, the excitement is building! We might have our laptops in the last week of May. That is fantastic news! I took a pessimistic mindset at first and hoped I would have it by the end of July, June was a pipe dream but may!!!?

I guess I’ll have to tell the wife soon about the new member of the family… I’ve kept it a surprise so far LOL. I might even have to lie to her and tell her I might let her use it :joy:

1 Like

Would be awesome if it could come before Memorial Day. Having a long weekend to set it up would be amazing.

As a Canadian, my ideal delivery date would be May 17th, the Friday before our Victoria Day long weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed!

What, you too? … mine is about to ship, and she doesn’t know yet … :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Another update from the batch chart, because the latest events deviating from the previous trend quite a bit:

Batch 11 arrived 4 days earlier than expected, Batch 12 was charged 2-3 days earlier than expected and the anouncement email was sent 2-3 days earlier too.

The trendlines dont show these quicker events yet, but I will be adding the latest news whenever they arrive

That’s awesome news! I am still super happy with my fw13 running Debian 12 and hope to get my hands on the fw16 before June.

Let’s goooooo!
The wait is almost over! :smiley:

Personally, I’m going to be running a dual boot.
Ubuntu LTS and Windows 11 since most classes seem to require windows to some extent, plus most my games are there rn.

In everyone’s opinion, what Linux distros are best to know for jobs in IT, information assurance or data science jobs?

Fedora. I support Red Hat at work so it’s in the ecosystem.

I did put Ubuntu on my media PC at home and honestly I can hardly tell the difference, TBH. So I’m comfortable putting Fedora on because I figure one thing I can do is help drive the support of the laptop with the company, by relaying feedback and issues.

With an unsupported distro, that’s more difficult.

Also, I want to use the machine, not figure out how to support the machine. Except for peripherals like the RGB LED matrix I just bought in the marketplace, and also making QMK do fancy stuff :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

I’ve been using Linux Mint exclusively since v13? around 2016 maybe… Before that, Windoze since v3.0, as well as some experience running a Warez server on FreeBSD and then Redhat…

I plan on setting up both officially supported distros so I can get some fiddle time with each of them and likely Mint also if I miss it.
As I have stated elsewhere in this forum, I am not a power user of Linux. My needs these days are simple but I appreciate the community supported nature of Linux and despise proprietary OS’s.

Why??: I was a CableTV service tech/installer during the early days of broadband cablemodem roll-outs. Here on long Island we expanded from 20K cablemodem subscribers to 250K in the first 2 months of 1999 because Xmas/Hanukkah 1998 was when the general public seemingly ‘had to’ have a computer under their holiday tree that year to keep up with the Jones’… And around that time, the ‘Malware Wars’ began. It seemed every broadband install my team and I did, revealed that the customer’s Windoze OS was chock full of malware that they had picked up on dialup AOL or such. So when we opened the PC up to the fat pipeline of a 15/2 broadband connection, all hell would break loose (often hundreds of popup windows) and we were blamed for ‘breaking’ their new PC… As a home grown PC nerd, I was highly in demand because most of my fellow technicians had zero knowledge of PCs beyond having been taught to install an Ethernet card and many had no interest in learning those skills… So my phone rang day and night to help Techs in the field and to solve spyware related issues in windows. I quickly grew a DEEP DISLIKE (I do not like to be a hater…) for all things Microsoft. Gotta say though, I did rack up a lot of overtime!

So now, if I can’t make something happen on Linux or Android, it doesn’t get done.

3 Likes

Batch 14 has had their emails! We’re close now. I’m hoping we might get our emails by the end of next week.

4 Likes

I saw that! Oh, be still, my beating heart! Can it be true? I barely dare to hope!

It’s going to be epic! I can’t wait.

4 Likes

I’m on the edge of my seat! I had resigned myself to not having a framework before I go to a tech camp on the 30th but now there’s the outside possibility that it might just arrive in time!

What would be better than to bring the box and build it there!

Good luck to us all! Not sure what a laptop tastes like but the excitement has me thinking I can taste it LOL

With the latest updates from batch 12, 13 and 14, the prediction now looks like this:

I still expect the email around 05-13, card charging may occur a day earlier: around 05-19, while the very first laptop may arrive around 05-26.
I am really excited about the pace of batch 13 and 14, as this will help narrowing down the prediction even more.

At the same time it doesnt make that much sense, but I keep checking the reddit and forum quite often every day…
Anyone else that excited too?

3 Likes

I am also very excited. If we’re lucky we might get the email next Friday, but it’ll be close. I’m hoping to get my laptop before the bank holiday weekend at the end of May (I live in the UK), but it seems that will really be very tight.