FW16 Batch 2 Guild

Got my shipping notification as well, along with a notification from FedEx (you can sign up for FedEx Delivery Manager and get notifications when there’s a shipment coming to you, as well as progress updates, etc.).

It’s already late for some reason though :grimacing:

1 Like

I had the “Running Late” as well … don’t know why … I think it cleared up really fast though …

My shipment landed in Anchorage ~15 minutes ago. If my past orders are any indication, I should have mine tomorrow…

Its on my hands! DIY edition, easy setup and installation, and looks and feels fantastic!! So happy! It came with a minor defect (will contact support) but its minor. I’m so happy with the laptop! Thanks Framework team! The wait was worth it!

1 Like

So far I am very happy with it. I have never had a $2400 laptop (more like $3k once you account for the 6TB of nvme storage and the 64GB of ram), the closest I have had was a $800 machine, but this is the most premium feeling laptop I have ever touched.

TL;DR: fan scraping noises, fix by flattening “sticker” below where fan sits.

Upon first power up I noticed a sort of scraping noise coming from the right fan. Blowing into each, I could replicate the issue. Went to pull the fan out (only needed the GPU housing removed > four black captive screws loosened > two gold screws taken out on black plastic bar next to the fourth black screw.) Probably should’ve disconnected the wire, but I was careful.

Took the affected fan out, blew on it, and no noise occurred. When I put it back it did the same thing. Took it out again and noticed the black “sticker” (for lack of a better term) below where the fan sits was up just a tiny bit. Pressed it down with the spudger and my finger, put everything back and that fixed the issue.

Additionally, the Interposer lid appears to be brittle on it’s hinges.

While annoying, the experience of just being able to take things apart SO easily like that without a guide (especially with the incredibly satisfying slotting and magnetics everywhere) made me enjoy fixing it.

UPDATE: As the fans spin up and I use the laptop… on my lap, I can hear the noise again. Not as severe, but definitely there. Still noticeable when I set it on a desk. Perhaps the heat made the “sticker” come up? When I looked inside there was barely anything to remark about, but still produces quite an audible sound. Not as much on the other fan, and no unordinary noise from that side either.

Also, the Interposer lid does like to pop off, at least, particularly if one of the hinges is bent. I do wonder with it’s tendency to sometimes flip down while working in there if more users are inclined to push the lid back further.

Now I’m just trying to figure out why I can’t boot into my SSD or a Ventoy USB. Not seeing any secure boot related options in BIOS…
SOLVED: You have to spam F2 before you get any boot errors in order to get into the Administrate Secure Boot options.

4 Likes

Had the Same thing happen to me but im just blind i went straight into the Setup Utility but if you press F2 you can choose Administer Secure Boot

Hope that helps

2 Likes

What kind of defect?

Yeah found another thread about it. Seems you have to spam F2 before you get errors, which, sure, but why doesn’t the button have the option to restart straight into BIOS then? Eh I’m not a programmer.

I just got charged for mine! I have the Linux keyboard.

7 Likes

Just got my shipping notification with a blank Ansi keyboard.

1 Like

They promised 4-21 days from 2/13 to ship mine with clear ANSI RGB keyboard. And they shipped today, the 21st day. Now we wait.

4 Likes

Just got a shipping notification for mine. Scheduled for delivery Friday.

Well, they went way over their estimate for us Batch 1s but at least they are finally shipping ours as well.

1 Like

Ah, fellow blank enjoyer :​D
I’ve ordered a blank iso and will use Colemak with it, I like to call it security through obscurity whenever someone tries to use my devices lol. Also, I garbled the keycaps on my desktop keyboard to add to the confusion ^^

3 Likes

Same here, planning to use Colemak-DH with it. I didn’t want yet another keyboard, with a qwerty layout, so I chose the next best thing.
I’m also waiting for the Ortholinear keyboard to release

1 Like

Nice! Yeah I’m using Colemak CAW, which is DH with the bottom left keys shifted one to the left (only properly doable on ISO keyboards) and the right hand shifted one to the right.
Together with Extend and Hyprland I don’t need to use my mouse that often :​D

Same here, but Workman layout on clears. Our campus IT came to install software on my work desktop and his brain melted when he saw that I had rearranged the keys on the 15-year-old Dell keyboard. Took him like six tries to get the admin password right.

I used the clears on my FW13, but then found it is not too difficult to move the keys around very carefully on the original US English keyboard, so now I can still figure out where the heck the brightness keys and function keys are, but not confuse my brain when like typing Workman on a Qwerty.

The 16 I got RGB clears and blanks, because God knows I’ll switch them out on a regular basis. May get a US English RGB as well and try to move some keys on it, too. depends on how they are made.

The fn keys are the only ones I wouldn’t know of the top of my head. Everything else I never need to look for on the keyboard, except when I’m single-handedly typing in a otp code on the num row or something like that.

At Uni I was the first to find a website our teacher was searching for and he asked if he could take my laptop to the front and use it to show us how to use the website.
Well… that didn’t work out at all. First he didn’t plug in the HDMI cable properly. Once I did it, Hyprland displayed properly on it but had the default background with the anime girl, which was a little awkward lol. Scrambled to show my real wallpaper on the projector and went back to my seat. However, I forgot that he obviously would have no clue how tf you move a window to a different screen let alone what the workspaces even are. So I went for round two, to move the window to the projector. Next up he wanted to type something on the site and struggled again (obviously, but I forgot again) and I needed to help again.

Needless to say that was a fun situation xD

I have to type a OTP from my phone every time I sign in at work, and that was the real reason I messed with my keyboard and swapped the keys to my workman layout. Can’t hold the phone and type two handed at the same time.