FW16 Batch 5 Guild

That’s the one! Although I also deal with weird power issues that throttle the CPU and GPU (I don’t use that much though) that is fixed by plugging and unplugging it.
All sorts of other weird quirks too, like the headphone jack and subwoofer not working, though I fixed those with help and lots of tweaking.
That said, the thermal performance on the laptop is incredible.
But it could have been so much better if they actually cared about it after selling it.

I’m expecting them to start arriving for us the week of the 25th, so anything before that exceeds my expectations and makes me a happy man!

Well, if we assume that Framework hit their goal of delivering most of batch 6 by end of March, I’d expect a lot Batch 5 deliveries next week.

3 Likes

Same. Our batch announcement yesterday was a great birthday gift ^^
Really looking forward to that 2.5k€ charge, lol. It’d have been even worse if I had bought it with a windows license, RAM and SSD instead of bringing my own stuff. That’d be: 4TB Lexar PCIe 4.0 for 190€, 64GB 5600MHz for 200€ and Arch Linux which only costs your time :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Currently trying to set up Arch on ZFS on my desktop and kinda struggling with it. Once I get it working there I’ll do the same on my FL16, which will allow great backup management and so much more on my devices :smiley:

5 Likes

Happy birthday!

3 Likes

IT’S HAPPENING!!! I almost can’t believe it ;).

4 Likes

You are doing something right as a company if people write such things in a forum. :wink:

1 Like

The reaction to such a post is more than a goal at a football game. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I feel like this is wildly dependent on where the match in question is. If it’s at Feyenoord, Lazio, or Millwall, uh…how do I put this? :laughing:

1 Like

Note that their latest announcement said that they would be “fulfilled” by the end of Q1, not “delivered”. I think that means that they could ship the last laptop in batch 5 on March 31. Hopefully we all get them sooner, though!

1 Like

Sure, they could, but then that would leave them well short of their goal for Batch 6.

1 Like

They surely are!
Price/performance isn’t great if you use the normal comparison points, but this laptop offers more than what normally gets looked at (as everyone here is likely aware).

I look forward to be able to just swap the battery after a few years if it loses charge - most likely they’ll offer a replacement with the same size but higher capacity by then. Same for every other component. This peace of mind is worth a lot to me :​)

7 Likes

Well, March 31 is Easter Sunday, and I don’t know if the Taiwan shipping depot ships on any Sunday. But I believe they are a non-Christian country, so won’t be celebrating the Easter Holiday that most Western Countries do, so they may ship on Friday 29th.

1 Like

I dont think thats a unique acer thing, i am using an hp i bought brand new shortly after preordering this laptop cause my existing one died, and my hp with amd 7534hs and nvidia 2050 crashes when it sleeps, i have slowly chipped at it getting it to be a little better about it, so now it only crashes about 30% of the time it sleeps, if its a shorter sleep, if its long i have only not had it crash once, i have to use hibernate instead of sleep

1 Like

Well, one of the reasons we’re all here is because most laptop makers are very bad about supporting their products post-purchase. I mean, most will replace parts, but actually fixing problems in the bios or drivers is just rarely ever going to happen, so in that respect there is a lot in common here :slight_smile:

6 Likes

can hardly wait to try out Nobara on the framework.

1 Like

It’s getting to be that time to start watching our cards.

TAKE MY MONEY

1 Like

better start tomorrow. most of B4 are already on their way to owners so come on B5

1 Like

Can’t wait till my laptop comes. Just checked my bank account but then realised that it is still night in the US and I will have to wait a bit longer… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m predicting later this week/early next. I’m not holding my breath at all.

Yea, before I went to bed last night I saw March 18 on my clock and thought “why no laptop?” before realizing that it was like the very start of the 18th.

2 Likes