FW16 Batch 5 Guild

As each batch begins to have its own subject, let’s talk about batch 5!

What CPU/GPU did you choose ?
  • Ryzen™ 9 7940HS + Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
  • Ryzen™ 7 7840HS + Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
0 voters

Just to follow the trend, here’s my setup:

Expansion Cards:

• HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
  • Ethernet
  • Audio
  • 3 x USB-A
  • 4 x USB-C
  • MicroSD

Miscellaneous:

Thanks for reading (And thanks to x390 for reviving the trend first lol)

4 Likes

Batch 5 representing!

1 Like

I got the overkill config with R9 and the dGPU, the same memory you got and a 4TB SSD from Lexar.

For the keyboard I got the blank ISO as only noobs need to look at their keys (just kidding, mostly). I’ll run Colemak CAW, so noone but my friends will be able to use this thing, lol. Talk about security through obscurity.

The keyboard and touchpad will be centered, as I’m going for a very clean look. I might later try to do a custom vinyl wrap if I ever find one that I like - I kinda like the obsidian skin but I think it’s a little too much. Also, the cutout on it looks weird, I don’t care about those few % connectivity loss caused by covering the antenna with Vinyl.

1 Like

Hi, that’s a really cool config !

For the keyboard, french is kind of a mess with accents and weird stuff to deal with lol… But I may someday try the blank version !

As for the Obsidian top cover, I’m trying to use kind of a workarround to soften the contrast from gray to black. In the end It’ll just be a DIY antenna cover of some sort.

Absolutely maxed everything out. US international keyboard, with 2 x USB-A and 3 x USB-C, and a 1 TB storage expansion card for a second operating system. I probably should have grabbed an ethernet expansion as well, but I’m going to go in and modify that.

2 Likes

I think a 2230 m.2 nvme ssd might be the better choice for that, but it also won’t be that big of a difference either

1 Like

I already got that, so that’s not a huge deal. I was also looking for a bit more storage for whatever games I throw on the machine haha.

Nice, how big are your other drives then?
I’m very satisfied with the 4TB drive I got for 190€ :​D

Here’s what I got for mine:

Even though it says no CPU undervolting, hoping to find a way to do that somehow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly I think if you don’t go with at least 32GB of RAM in the DIY version you’re missing out. It’s just 50€ more than 16GB RAM and it just gives peace of mind.

Since I’m a dev with some RAM hungry apps I jumped to 64GB for another 100€ on top.
Mac users dream to pay just 400€ for 64GB, meanwhile we can get it for just ~200€.

If you go for the lowest cost config the Laptop 16 isn’t a good deal, but if you go to 32GB or even 64GB with a big SSD the equation looks a hell of a lot better :​D

2 Likes

Is “yes” a valid answer?

I guess so if you mean you agree? Lol.
My statement wasn’t directed at anyone specific, just a thought that crossed my mind.

I was joking about the size of my HDD just being “yes” (as in “all of the storage”).

HDD? I suppose you meant SSD.

What’s your storage config? I’m curious now ^^

I got the Ryzen™ 7 7840HS, 32GB of RAM, would have to look up what it is since I got the DIY version. Also picked up the same SSD as Framework sell, the WD 1TB, again picked up locally here in Australia. Also no GPU.

Looking forward to it. I intend to run Fedora silverblue 39.

1 Like

Let me grab that real quick haha. One 4 TB 2280 and one 2 TB 2230.

I was thinking of starting this one a couple days ago, but then thought it would only add to my anxious waiting.

Was right. Now I’m just wait scrolling, hoping that a batch 2er (or later) just throws out a “I’m shipping!”

Waiting.gif

I do find it humorous that this wait-scrolling gang leans 7840.

Oh yea… Specs
2x16 mem kit
GPU
4TB 990 Pro (on the shelf, mocking me)
Basic everything else.

1 Like

Mocking me

Hey, you like what you like. Who am I to tell anyone to do things differently? But I’d expect our machines to ship at some point in late April/early May. If it comes earlier, great. But I’m keeping my expectations subterranean.

3 Likes

Batch Fiver here!

• Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
  • GSkill 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR5-5600 SODIMM
  • Primary SSD: Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB
  • Secondary SSD: Micron 2400 2TB
  • GPU: 7700S & Basic Shell
  • US Keyboard
  • 2 Black Spacers
  • Black Bezel
  • Numpad
  • 2x USB-C
  • 2x USB-A
  • HDMI
  • DP
  • Audio

Also got the 2 Xray dBrand skins (both light and dark versions for the price of one), as well as a CushCase.

EDIT: Just ordered the MOS Blackpack Grande backpack as well.

3 Likes

Batch 8 rocks! We’ll kick yo butts!