FW16 Batch 7 Guild

Well, looks like we got delayed again…

Yeah, I already realized that it was gonna be April at the earliest. Honestly maybe even May, but hey, fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Let’s look at the bright side, at least some of the problems with the laptop 16 will be fixed before we get it. Maybe we won’t see backwards spacers or a seriously defective unit like Elevated Systems on YouTube.

4 Likes

I hope it’s not too far in to April. I don’t want to watch movies and play mobile games at work for another whole month. . .
I want that big screen for squashin’ bugs ‘n’ bots! I need to be yelling “FOR DEMOCRACY!” not “I need my FW laptop!”

6 Likes

I’ve had Dbrand skins on 3 phones, 2 tablets, 1 laptop, and my Steamdeck. I’ve never had an issue.

Actually my only issue is they ship it in way too much of an overkill box. I don’t need that much material for skins and a case. Waste

Honestly I’m in batch 7, and I’m in no rush as I just spent way too much on replacing my electrical panel and putting in a whole house UPS battery in. :smiley: Before and after photos. Call me weird but keeping the house from burning down was kinda worth the money. This house’s electrical was in bad shape. I put an energy tracker system in that hardly fit, and good god some of the circuits. Bonus I found out that a remodeler back in 2002 looks to have cut the grounding line to the water main during construction. The house’s electrical hasn’t been grounded in 20+ years. :dizzy_face:

6 Likes

Haha, love the “Back to the Future” style casing. :laughing:

4 Likes

I just hate their needless cutout for the wifi antenna they have only in their FL16 skin and their inflexibility regarding requests.
And they top if off with their horrendously high pricing, so I’m going DIY.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness! I thought that my electrical system was in bad shape when I bought it in 1987. It turns out that the former owner had delusions of adequacy. I had the 80 year old 60 amp service upgraded to 150 amps, then replaced about 90% of the original wiring. It was a great day in the morning when I ripped out the last of the previous owner’s “improvements” as we redid the kitchen.

(Don’t ask about the plumbing!)

Since then, I added a second panel for a car charger and a commercial whole house chiller.

Take your time, buy the best materials, and follow the code. You’ll be fine.

2 Likes

(Grabs a coffee and pulls up a chair.) Hello, fellow batch 7’ers!

6 Likes

Hello! Looks like we’re up next for the batch emails. I’m sure we’ll get an email next week and get the laptop the week after depending on where everyone lives. Someone posted in the batch log saying they got an email.

6 Likes

Sweet!!! I am super excited to get my FW16! My current laptop hasn’t been cutting it for a while now, and I am VERY much looking forward to having a beefy portable gaming machine.

3 Likes

I am in batch 7 and a Framework newbie - wanted to ask if there is a definitive guide/approach on setting up dual boot Windows (11 Pro) and Linux (Ubuntu LTS)?

Windows would be used 75% of the time. Probably going to get a 2TB 2280 SSD for the initial build.

Seen lots of different articles and approaches. I could add a 250GB or 1TB Expansion Card to the order and go for Linux on that. But also seen articles saying issues with performance/cards being disconnected? I have also had bad experiences with classic dual boot on the same disk where Windows 10 would be super slow.

Grateful for any help.

You can get a 2230 card and use that if you want, for dual boot.

1 Like

The 2230 SSD currently disconnects/reconnects when the laptop is put into sleep mode. Framework/AMD are already aware and working on a BIOS fix. Until that BIOS update is released, I’m not sure it’s a good idea to use the 2230 as a boot drive…

2 Likes

It does? Oh my!

Well… at least there’s a forthcoming BIOS fix. But yeah, I’d just not use it until after the fix is out.

2 Likes

Is it just the 2230 SSD that has the connection issue? I ordered the 2280 2TB SSD for my build, plus a 1TB expansion card.

1 Like

Correct, there’s no issues (that I’m aware of) with the 2280 slot.

2 Likes

Hello fellow batch 7ers
I’m getting excited :laughing:, shouldn’t be too long now

3 Likes

I’m getting really excited now. I’m driving my wife crazy! :rofl:

Welcome to the Framework community Nomad!

3 Likes