FW16 Batch 8 Guild

mine just arrived in vienna today! got it with 32gb ram (2x16gb) and 1tb of storage all from framework, also with the gpu module.

after assembling it and trying to boot for the first time, black display, i read that it can take some time for the RAM to ‘train’ so i waited - but nothing. some in other threads suggested reseating the ram.

after i put one ram stick into channel 1 it worked, after which i could also add the second one to channel 0 with it still working. (here the wait was around 1-2 minutes).

hope this can help others, it got me pretty worried at first - but now all seems to be good!

3 Likes

Mine also came in today, Didn’t have time to assemble the laptop yet, but on first glance it looks good :slight_smile: Didn’t expect it to be narrower than my current 15" laptop (Asus N56VB) which will be replaced by the FW16

For storage I went with a WD Black SN750 (500GB) SSD. which I already had, and for RAM with 32GB Kingston Fury DDR5 5600MT/s (2x 16GB, CL40-40-40)

Had a mild panic attack when my keyboard didn’t work but just reseated the mid board connector.

64Gb ddr5 booted first time in under a minute while was a surprise

2 Likes

Got the laptop all set up, and everything worked from the start, No issues with memory training, Fit and finish of the spacers is OK (I do feel a bit of a lip between the spacers but it’s not annoying), Overall happy with my first experience :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All set up today, everything is functioning so far. Installing Cyberpunk 2077 now.

8 Likes

Managed to do mine (with a youtube video created off the back of it) - put the single RAM stick in slot 0 so obviously didn’t turn on! Until found should stick in slot 1.
Decided to go for openSuse which for whatever reason didn’t like the wifi and rather than waste time trying to get it to work opted for the simper solution which was to go for Kubuntu.
Next step is to spin up old old 2009 macbook pro and start migrating stuff across
Have to say, it’s a nicely built and logical machine layout with so much attention to detail in the build quality, it’s great!

Mine is on the way to Australia. Looking at the tracking information it’s kind of flying back-and-forth - Taiwan to the Philippines to mainland China to Japan.

This is my second Framework. The first went to South Korea instead of Japan so there is clearly some sort of variation in the delivery patterns. My last Framework showed up “early” by a few days so with a little luck I’ll have it by Friday. Otherwise, early next week.

1 Like

I received my board last week.

• Ryzen 9 7940, no GPU - I’ll add one later when it becomes available in the store
  • Kingston FURY Impact 64GB 5600MT/s Memory (KF556S40IBK2-64)
  • SABRENT Rocket Q4 2230 NVMe 2TB SSD ( SB-213Q-2TB)
  • HP SSD EX950 2280 NVMe 2TB SSD (5MS24AA#ABC) - I’ll upgrade this to a 4TB Samsung when I tear down my old laptop
  • Tex Shinobi Keyboard - Mechanical Keyboard with Trackpoint.

I’m planning on replacing the input modules with the keyboard from a ThinkPad TrackPoint keyboard, but I need to print a base for it and figure out a connector to the pogo pins. It’s probably going to be a bit too tall, so I may need to figure out something to do with the hinges for the display to add a bit of extra room.

I’d also like to integrate an onlykey U2f security key into one of the spacer modules so that it doesn’t stick out the side of the laptop when it’s inserted.

I may look at adding an SD-card adapter to the spacer module on the other side so I’m not using an input module for SD. Yeah, it’s low speed, but meh, it’d be handy, and it’s unused space since I’m not into the number pad or LEDs.

I’m kind of wondering if the speakers could be improved by using the space for the spacers around the trackpad as well. They’re certainly adequate, but with more space, maybe I could add larger speakers and make them a bit louder by adding holes through the spacer plate?

For the OS, I’m running MX-Linux 32.2 with the Advanced Hardware support.

Fingerprint sensor:
I’ve played with getting the fingerprint sensor working, and was able to register my fingerprints, but haven’t gone beyond that to getting it working for logging in.

Trackpad:
The first time I rebooted and switched to the latest kernel, the trackpad stopped working. I just rolled back to the install kernel (6.6.12-1-liquorix-amd64), where it was working. I haven’t tried to debug that issue yet.

Everything else seems to be working great.

One thing i would honestly like is a universal bottom panel with no spacers, one big slip in bit with the track pad. Would do a lot for the finish!

1 Like

Can anyone here or feel their fan running? I can’t for some reason I feel like I should be able too

I can hear mine when it spins up for higher loads (CAD and gaming mostly), but not when I’m doing lighter work.

As mentioned, the fan on mine only kicks on when doing heavier tasks. When just browsing the internet or something like that, the fans don’t turn on. When they do, I hear them, lol. The little vent holes right at the base of the display (right above the keyboard) are vent intakes for the fans and you can look right through the machine and see the fans inside. So you can even see them when they run, though there are so many, fine blades, that it’s not always super obvious. But I definitely hear them when they ramp up.

They were screaming pretty loud when running a Windows update at one point. Ugh, Windows.

1 Like

Okay I’ve been running cad but I’ve been making smaller parts 1.75” max so I’ll have to load up a complex model to know if they are working

Mine arrived about half an hour ago. On first glance everything seems functional except my 1 TB expansion storage card is a bit flaky. Also, I need to get used to the new keyboard. But I’m very pleased with how fast it went together. The fit of the spacers is decent and no sharp edges.

2 Likes

So a firmware update from framework showed up for Kubuntu yesterday and it applied quickly and successfully.
Have finally got round to starting to migrate everything from my old macbook pro (2009) to it and also moving stuff to my NAS.
in the process of getting Thunderbird data into kubuntu which seems to be going OK so far!

It varies a whole lot with power supply and power settings, too.

I was doing some 16-thread compiling on battery and the laptop was quiet, reported around 35 watts consumed. The fans were spinning, but not that hard, showing off the thermal performance.

As soon I as I plugged it in though, the fans ramped up to that high frequency turbine-esque noise level with the increased power consumption.