FW16 Plugged-in Battery Drain - 240W Charger Option

Yes the USB C ports only do 140W
The 240 is 20V only and not PD compatible, so no use.

2 Likes

If this is what their support team said, it seems they are mistaken on multiple accounts.

1. I’m fairly certain no usb-c charger exists that will deliver 48V 5A. The most powerful charger slimq has that I can find does 140W.

2. If it did, the FW16 is capable of using it - its not limited to the 36V 5A that the provided charger gives.

Also, I think I found the slimq charger you’re talking about - it doesn’t do 240W through usb-c, that’s through a barrel jack. The usb-c ports are 100W.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C1KQB4F6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a 140W charger from Plugable. It does actually deliver 140W through a single cable. I am using it with my Framework 16.

The FWL16 blog post mentions 240Watt power supply. Does anybody know real (not fake CN ones that catch on fire) 240W PSUs that are available? I mostly use my laptop plugged in and don’t want to thrash the battery under the heavy load.
Is FW planning on offering one?

1 Like

I don’t believe they are available yet from anyone. I imagine Framework will sell one, but they haven’t announced anything yet. The USB spec is new, it takes time for chipmakers to produce dedicated (low cost) chips, and time for manufacturers to create a product around them. It will happen, they just aren’t here yet.

I don’t think, we will see any true 240w charges until any of the big players like Apple say, they’re using 240w PD 3.1, too. Demand is not high enough.

Maybe a DELL or an HP will make one for their Workstation Laptop

Like an XPS 17 with Only or mostly USB C connectors

Framwork is the first company to release a USB-C charger that’s greater than 140W and I believe they expect third parties to make 240W chargers. Unfortunately the only 240W chargers I’ve seen are a total output (e.g. 100W on one port and 140W on another) but I haven’t seen any over 140W through a single port (other than Framwork’s 180W). Unfortunately we’re kinda stuck waiting.

you will surely not regret plugging both cables from one of those chargers into different ports on the same framework!

(do not do this)

From what I’ve seen so far on these forums is that if the laptop is plugged into two different power sources it’ll charge from the higher charger first. So if plugged into two ports on a charger like that it’ll probably only charge at 140W.

1 Like

The actual demand isn’t high enough, but a lot of low-information buyers will always go for the biggest numbers they can see, and the charger manufacturers are well aware of that. I suspect that will push them to create 240W chargers pretty quickly, regardless of whether there’s much out there that can use them yet.

1 Like

Bigger number better

… and then they complain, that their notebook doesn’t recharge faster, because it is only capable of 100-140W :wink: What happens next? Bad reviews on Amazon or wherever and they send it back. No, that’s not profitable for the manufacturers.

Sure it is, manufacture 1000 chargers, sell 100 branded as Xilifi until the review roll in, than brand the next 100 as Shumufu.

Well, if you buy your chargers from Xilifi, Shumufu, HGHPWR, iGrillYourDevice and whatever keystrokes may happen, if the intern has a nap on the keyboard, it’s on you :wink: I’d wait for more reputable manufacturers.

Why not? I do it all the time. I have two docking stations each 100W.
I know it uses only one for charging but I never had any problems.

Is it possible to use two framework USB-C chargers in parallel on two different ports?

No, the Laptop will only use one port for charging and ignore any other.

2 Likes

Ok.

TI just came out with a new Buck-Boost bidirectional controller for 240W EPR support with up to 60V operational range.

3 Likes