FW16 USB PD Battery Issues

Support mentioned it was an AMD board only issue and they do seem to be working on a fix.

“We want to inform you that we are currently working on firmware updates for PD charger compatibility for our AMD systems as with our recently released Framework 13 BIOS update. We will be sharing more information regarding this very soon.”
- Support

1 Like

I can confirm my Shargeek Storm 2 charges my FW16 with 90 watts right now, although it takes some time to start sometimes

Edit: dropped to 55 watts and refuses to rise again even though I’m discharging the battery with a benchmark right now

1 Like

Looks like they fixed something - for the FW13

Update: I’ve gotten my laptop and I have no issues when using Anker Prime power bank

Interesting, so it must just be the older version with this issue

I and someone else have the same issue with the same powerbank

I’ve updated to bios 03.03 on FW16 and it’s still happening which I’ve reported here

I’m still not sure if it’s a powerbank issue or bios issue

My Batch 9 unit doesn’t seem to work with my Anker 737 which is annoying

have you tried trickle mode?

I did try trickle mode and got it to work for about 30 seconds and then never again

I’m trying to narrow it down a bit here just to make sure I understand better

• The trickle mode only activated for 30 seconds on the power bank ( unplugged from your FW16 )?

• The trickle mode activated and after you plugged your FW16, the power bank only charged for 30 seconds?

The latter

The laptop only accepted charge for 30 seconds, the power bank still continued to be in trickle mode

It has not worked since so I’ve opened a ticket with support.

I talked to support for about 2 weeks and they’ve just said that they are working on fixes with PD issues

2 Likes

I have sent an email to Anker Support (even if its probably useless) with the issues on charging the laptop and how other Anker products work as expected.

Some interesting behavior with the 737 and an Anker dock.

I have an Anker docking station I plug my FW13 into for video, power, Ethernet, and other peripherals. This “one cable solution” dock charges my FW13 at about 60 to 70 watts through the main USB-C cable, it also charges other devices like headphones, game controllers, tablets, and pretty much anything else with a USB-C port throught that main USB-C cable… except for the Anker 737. With the Anker 737 it won’t accept a charge and will attempt to charge the docking station at 0.1 watts.
Could it be possible that it’s more to do with the Anker 737 itself and not entirely the fault of the FW16?

TL;DR
Anker 737 won’t charge from an Anker docking station. Is the FW16 really the whole problem?

Anker Dock Link

1 Like

That makes this even more interesting, maybe it has trouble communicating with devices that can act as docks? It wouldn’t completely explain everything but that’s all I can come up with.

What motherboard do you have?

I can confirm that my Anker Prime and Anker PowerCore Reserve both work on the Framework.

Does the cpu by chance throttle to .5Ghz when charging with a pd charger over 100w?

I’ve detailed my issues with some related issues in this post.

Issue is still present with fully upto date BIOS and fedora 40.

I don’t really see performance changes since the battery just doesn’t work correctly.

That is good, must be a seperate bug then.

With the issue I was referring to, the cpu pins at .5Ghz, and you definitely notice the drop in performance. (happens across windows, ubuntu, fedora)

I brought it up since the charger will also charger very slowly when this happens.

For whatever it’s worth, I’ve plugged my FW 16 into a solar panel outputting only 3-8W and the FW didn’t do anything strange.