Good platform for content creation?

Hey, I’m awaiting the day orders become available. While I wait I wonder if this would be a good source for content creation such as music recording and video work (both 1080p and 4k)? Usually I work on Mac (and I’m starting to hate Apple because of the EXORBITANT repair prices and…really bad issues). It would be grand to have a small laptop that I can plug in my equipment and use a mic or VSTs to record with and edit video on (Hopefully using Linux or windows in a VM) and then come home down the road and dock it to an eGPU (assuming the iris xe can’t do 4k). As someone entering a graduate program, I can say that a machine like this is paramount, repairability is super important to me as I cannot afford to replace my old iMac (these things are like 2-3k US) just for it to die in 2 years from an $80 problem Apple charges $900 to “Fix”

1 Like

Hi @PixelPaintbrush, the Framework Laptop should work well for that. You can pack in up to 64GB of DRAM and 4TB of storage if you ever need it, and there are accelerators in the 11th Gen Intel processors that can help for content use cases. For more GPU-heavy use cases, an eGPU is indeed a good configuration.

2 Likes

I figured there were other Mac users on here wondering about that. That’s good news to hear. I was on the fence about the new M1 chip until I discovered Framework. I have long hated the post-Jobs Apple philosophy of having a magic black box that no one gets to work on.

This question has probably already been asked, so I just haven’t found it yet, and I’m probably asking in the wrong place, but are you planning on offering any engineering drawings for the peripheral modules to the general public, or will you vet prospective third-party developers?

@Jackson_Kendrick Yes! There is a thread on this here: CAD files for expansion card frames?

1 Like

Thanks @nrp I’ll check that out. Appreciate it

2 Likes