CAD files for expansion card frames?

I’d love to start poking around at what I can squeeze into one of the expansion card frames. Any chance for CAD and electrical requirements being available?

12 Likes

Yes! We will be releasing these. We’re currently still preparing the document package for the release, but keep a look out for that.

12 Likes

sweeeet. I’d love to try to squeeze something like a yubikey in there.

8 Likes

Sweet! Looking forward to seeing if a friend and I can design an interfaceable RISC-V card or multi-card-reader expansion card!

7 Likes

Exactly!

I’m thinking about miniaturizing a J1939 bus (heavy on-road diesel) connection into one of these modules so I can get rid of the junk SCSI connector we have to use for a lot of onboard engine controllers.

Anybody have any experience with ECM connectors and diagnostics?

2 Likes

That J1939 idea is a solid one and I bet it would be pretty easy to slip an LPC chip in there running ELM 327 and come up with a breakout cable to get OBDII. maybe get real fancy and add CAN in there too. I mean yeah, it would be smarter to just use a BT OBDII adapter, but we’re talking about a DIY laptop here so I’m sure ya’ll get it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Since we’re on the topic, will Frame.Work be selling blank (empty) plastic housings for experimental expansion cards? Like the one for the display port. Just the empty housing with no contents.

2 Likes

Hi Shawn, we are considering that. Because the cards are so small, it’s actually really inexpensive to get the enclosures 3D printed, which then also allows them to be customized to each design. We may also be able to offer empty housings.

7 Likes

@Jackson_Kendrick
I have access to a fair amount of information for on or off road diesel. If you let me know what your looking for I may be able to help you out.

I’m not much into 3D printing stuff. I need help with the 3D-printed enclosure for the expansion card.
I’m a bit confused about this,
I have downloaded 3d files available on github. There are two types of .stl files, 1 - ExpansionCard.stl and 2 - MicrocontrollerHousing.stl.
can anyone help me?

Based on my research here is some free cad software that should be able to open those files. https://www.freecadweb.org/

1 Like

@Sagar73594 if you don’t want to modify the design, just load the stl file you want to print into a Slicing Program (I use Cura), set the parameters you want to print it in and slice it, which will produce a gcode file (which the printer needs). If you don’t have access to a 3D Printer, you can send the stl file to a 3D Printing Service instead. If you do want to modify the design though, I’d recommend to try the scad files instead.

1 Like

@Jason_Hottelet Good to know. Thanks :+1:.

1 Like

I’d like to know if this is going to be realized anytime soon, because I’ll be actually needing one by the end of the year…

Can you have an acquaintance/a service/a library 3D print this?

https://www.printables.com/model/139879-framework-laptop-expansion-card

1 Like