Google Coral Expansion Card

Supposedly they sometimes come in stock early, so let us know when it ends up shipping.

2 Likes

Got another update, estimated for shipment on the 28th of July, and the status is Ordered from Factory, so might be manufacturing them on demand as a batch. I also was reading the datasheet for the module, and do note that some LDO regulator designs may struggle due to current transient response, apparently reaching 1A in a microsecond in most standard models, and can spike up to 3A, so design with this in mind.
Edit: they have 4075 on order for arrival on the 28th of July, so GO GET A BACKORDER if you are interested in one.

3 Likes

@Josh_Cook Already done it, but thanks.

@Josh_Cook Which seller do you recommend getting one from? I was looking into this myself.

Mouser

1 Like

FYI, Iā€™ve received notifications from Mouser that both the single TPU and double TPU M.2 cards (compatible with the e-key wifi slot) are currently in production. If you were interested in picking up one of these cards, now would be a good time to order.

1 Like

Received my Coral M.2 today! Installation in my mainboard server was easy and Iā€™m pleased to report itā€™s working great in the WiFi slot. :grin:

9 Likes

My mouser order just shipped.

4 Likes

@Evgeni_Genchev have you any plans to improve the connectivity on this? Like USB 3 or PCIe over Thunderbolt? Looks like a really cool project and a perfect application of the expansion cards but USB 2 would probably be quite slow. I have absolutely no idea how complicated it would be to implement anything more advanced though, Iā€™m just interested.

On the page for the M.2 dual TPU module, the following text got my attention:

ā€œAlthough the M.2 Specification (section 5.1.2) declares E-key sockets provide two instances of PCIe x1, most manufacturers provide only one. To use both Edge TPUs, be sure your socket connects both instances to the host.ā€

Does anybody know whether the Framework 13 (may be different for AMD/Intel) provides 2x PCIe x1 to the socket?

Is there a place to purchase these?

Dual TPU: https://mou.sr/41iPW9x

Single: https://mou.sr/45aCfLw

Iā€™m following this very closely and would happily test/purchase one!

1 Like

I was able to find out using HWiNFO64 that the wifi slot is x1 and not x2. So I think a dual TPU will not work in the slot. I have 1st gen motherboard in case the newer ones have changed.

2 Likes

Forgot to update people on my design, I ended up finally getting 1 module as Mouser sent my order to the wrong address and the design works, Iā€™m planning on selling these as build-to-order boards due to the long lead times, Iā€™m thinking around 70-90USD, how many people would be potentially interested in this?

1 Like

Iā€™d be ā€œpotentially interestedā€ but I havenā€™t yet got a Framework so it wonā€™t be in the near future. It would depend on the specifications though. Is it still USB2 based? Is there any chance for improving this?

Iā€™ve found a pinout for the USB3 type, but I havenā€™t tested it though.

While itā€™s a bit more money than Iā€™d like to spend, I understand itā€™s not easy to make it cheaper. I would definitely be interested as Iā€™d love to support an independent hardware designer like yourself :slight_smile:

Sorry, got my threads confusedā€¦ Thought this was about the logic analyzer :slight_smile: I donā€™t have much use for a Coral card on a Framework laptop, but I might get one anyway, for the reasons stated above :wink:

Are you looking for a cheaper or more expensive one (USB2, vs USB3?)

As Iā€™ll be using it quite sporadically, the USB2 one would probably be sufficient. But since I like nice gadgets, I might get the USB3 version depending on the price difference :slight_smile:

Responding in the LA thread not to pollute this one any further. Thanks!