[GUIDE] Successful Wi-Fi 7 (802.11be) on Framework 13 AMD with Qualcomm QCNCM865 and Arch Linux

I’m but a simple user, lol. :slight_smile:

I’m confused. Which patch are we waiting here for, exactly? If it’s the one mentioned above, “wifi: ath12k: use 128 bytes aligned iova in transmit path for WCN7850”, then it is, in fact, already in 6.11-rc4 and -rc5.

1 Like

Thanks @Alex_Shpilkin You right it’s in. And it fix the issue! Just tried and I have no more the upload issue :slight_smile:
I probably tested it wrong last time

@Techie_Zeddie you want to try 6.11rc5. it fix the upload issue for me

You can actually try 6.11rc5. it fixes the issue for me. upload are high. 480Mb/s (wi-fi 6)

Is there any fix or workaround for the bluetooth audio issue?

Sadly no, I don’t know what to do to debug more this issue. HCI look clean :shrug:
I maybe found something that it’s related to AMD Sound Engine (or something like that)

here: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 GA402XZ 7940HS + Qualcomm Wi... - Republic of Gamers Forum - 1021721
Under Windows it also have some issue, and recommend to disable some AMD Sound Driver. But not really sure what does that mean for linux setup

Thanks, but my laptop is now on it’s way to Framework to repair panel alignment and bezel pinching issues. From other people’s experience, it may be about a month before I receive it back, so maybe by that time, 6.11 with the fix will be in the main release/update.

Thanks for keeping the rest of us informed!

This will be the only WIFI7 endpoint I own. My phone and tablet are only WIFI 6E (although they don’t connect to the 6 GHz band unless I create a dedicated 6 GHz SSID).

I’m not about to change my devices to get WIFI7 obviously, but figured a $60 card would be worth it to enable WIFI7 on my laptop. :slight_smile:

Here ya go ya lucky suns of guns… $29 shipped +tax for the qualcomm chip (just gotta remove the screw and take it out of this MSI rig). I’d buy it but sadly it does not make sense right now. Enjoy!

1 Like

SOLD just bought it. Wow great timing! I just setup a TP Link EAP783 and was testing the speed on my Pixel 9 phone and thinking I really should upgrade the wifi in my Framework 13 next. Then I get an email with your post. Thank you!!!

1 Like

What speeds are you able to get with it?

I have the EAP773 and get about 700 Mbps on my Pixel 7 Pro (6E only).

(post deleted by author)

I am maxing out the (temporary) gigabit connection I am currently using with my EAP783 with my Pixel 9 phone. About 850 Mbps using MLO. My Edge Router and switch is the limitation. When I get all my 10G stuff installed then I will be able to really test the throughput.

With that said I have seen others only getting a maximum of around 1600 Mbps on a Pixel 9 with wifi 7. A good MLO connection should yield 3000 to 4000 Mbps easily. There seems to be some limitations with the Pixel 9’s wifi 7 implementation. Maybe power limitations, not sure.

Watching this thread reminds me of the early 2000s, getting 802.11b working… Guess it’ll still be a little while before BE is ready for end-users…

Never hold on to tech that you can’t use, unless you know it will go up in value, or has sentimental value. “Useful” tech has very limited lifetime where the duration is generally determined by the tech progression instead of being determined by you.

Is there a bug out with any bluetooth driver project or qualcomm that we can track or support?

I don’t know but i’m interested

I updated my kernel to 6.11 on the latest distro of Ubuntu (24.04 at the time of writing) and have had WiFi/bluetooth capabilities with my Qualcomm chip since upgrading. So far everything seems to work well. I haven’t tried Bluetooth audio yet, however. I also don’t have a WiFi 7 network to test with but I have Wifi 6E.

There’s an open issue on bluez github regarding the audio problem. No solution in sight though.

1 Like