Haiku: An OS for Framework?

Unfortunately, I’m still encountering the issue I reported in October of last year–when I got my Batch 3 11th gen!–where EFI boot just doesn’t work as of hrev56521.

Odd… How are you booting it? (USB, etc?)

Haiku booted via EFI is fully working for me via USB and NVMe. What ticket did you submit the issue to?

I seem to be having the same issue on a 12th Gen system. Boots to the Haiku icon screen off of a USB drive, but no further.

1 Like

On an 11th gen system (first wave of frameworks) I can get to the icon screen, they all appear to change in some way after a while like a progress bar, but then nothing happens. I only waited a few minutes though. Edit: I’m booting via a USB stick.

I think I had that problem several times before I explicitly selected the (already selected) boot volume in the Haiku boot loader options (can be reached by hitting the spacebar repeatedly). However, that might have been pure coincidence because I also experimented with rebooting from linux vs. a cold boot a that time. Since installing Haiku to the internal nvme disk and starting Haiku via rEFInd, I’ve never seen that problem again (neither booting from the internal disk nor from a USB A/C thumbdrive).

For those having trouble booting Haiku on the Framework laptop, a bug report using the information collected via boot options would be nice.

I am personally looking forward to stellar Haiku support on the Framework laptop, so that I can have the perfect machine with years of support to come.

2 Likes

R1 Beta 4 has just dropped.

It promises to be a step change from the last beta, such is the impressive work rate of Haiku these days. Full release notes here.

2 Likes

It was exciting to see the expanded range of mainboards and cases in the spring 2023 presentation, and hope that Haiku may be ported over soon.

The support given to the mainstream Linux distros (access to the new mainboards to assist in porting) bodes well for other OS such as Haiku or BSD being given similar privileges in future. Linux is fine but there are other FOSS operating systems in daily use.