Handheld gaming console from framework mainboard?

I am trying to get into handheld gaming consoles (ex. steam deck) recently and thought what if I can make framework laptop into one of those.
My idea would be reusing the framework mainboard and battery (just fold the battery on top) and use a USB-C port to handle display and controller data. Quick dimension check results in a console that is around 250x120x20 which is oh-so-similar to the handheld console I am getting which is ayaneo pro 2021 at 255x106x20.

The more I think about this the more reasonable it sounds. So, I wonder if anyone have thought of and/or done it, and whether anyone is down to work for this project. (I would be available to work on this after September when I finally got back to US)

Seen people suggest it, haven’t seen anyone do it yet. There is a tablet build, while not gaming focused it at least adds an integrated screen and uses the board’s usb ports without expansion cards.

3 Likes

That is really similar to my idea, thanks.

I’m also interested in making a handheld Framework console but that tablet @MJ1 linked to does have a working proof of concept of a build with the battery folded on top, which is great to know that it can work with no overheating problems.

I have a 7" 1200p screen that I’m trying to use for a build and a similar footprint size to a Steam Deck.

1 Like

If you need any files or measurements that I have done for the 10" tablet, just let me know pls.

1 Like

For anyone looking for such a solution, this guy beat me to it and I am happy to see it

3 Likes

hey everyone,
just come over this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuAvgmuT2s
the process he used to make the buttons are eye-opening to say the least

1 Like